• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I wanna make my first batch of chop today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kackels

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kakie Currey
What is your easiest recipe for a beginner? And any suggestions? I only have 2 birds so how do you suggest storing it to make it easy to use each day.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Do you want to freeze some, or just make enough fresh to feed in a couple days?

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I suggest making a small batch to start with. The first time I made chop, I made a HUGE batch and it turned out horrible :/ If you plan on using a food processor, the ingredients will have a lot of liquid. After I run the ingredients through the processor, I allow it to sit in a colander to dry out some. I shake it every once in a while to mix it up and get as much liquid out as I can. I also freeze mine in small bags for a days worth of feedings. Other then that, you can pretty much add what your birds like :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree, go simple first or you will be disappointed with the waste LOL. I made a ton my first couple of times, and my birds won't touch it after its been frozen for some reason! My recipe formula is this :

– 1-2 orange veggies (sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots, etc)
– 1 leafy dark green veggie (kale, cilantro, turnip greens, etc)
– 2-3 other veggies (beets, jalapeño, zucchini, squash, etc)
– 0-1 healthy fruits (mango, papaya, pomegranate, blueberries, etc)
– 1 legume, grain, or pasta

I make enough for the week, and chop most by hand so that I can get 2-3 different cuts of each vegetable in there. Sometimes they like it cut small, then the next week they like to hold it in their feet! It also allows me to serve each bird the same mix with the highest chance of them actually eating it.

kackels

Real Name
Kakie Currey
I agree, go simple first or you will be disappointed with the waste LOL. I made a ton my first couple of times, and my birds won't touch it after its been frozen for some reason! My recipe formula is this :

I make enough for the week, and chop most by hand so that I can get 2-3 different cuts of each vegetable in there. Sometimes they like it cut small, then the next week they like to hold it in their feet! It also allows me to serve each bird the same mix with the highest chance of them actually eating it.
I think I can do this one! Just what I was looking for! Thank you!!

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I agree with Danielle, start with a small batch. You'll learn what you do and don't like about the foods and the process.

Some fruits and vegetables do not freeze well. That is why I asked if you wanted to freeze some.

I have many methods I use, depending on how much time I have any particular day. Sometimes I chop and freeze items individually because I feel they mix better after defrosted and the end result is less mushy. Examples of this are winter squash, sweet potato and greens.

Things I never freeze include apples, celery, jalepenos/serranos, oranges, cucumbers, carrots. Now, I'm not saying all of those items should NOT be frozen, I've just learned that my birds eat those items freshly chopped much better than chopped, frozen and defrosted.

Cooked rice, cooked beans, corn, peas, greenbeans and berries freeze well. But berries get mushy quickly after defrosting, IMO.

So for me, making chop is a two part process. Items that I want to freeze are prepared, bagged and frozen. Then every other day or so I chop fresh items to add to the defrosted chop.

I never freeze sprouts either.

I think I am NOT the norm however. I think many people freeze their entire chop.

kackels

Real Name
Kakie Currey
What type of grain do u recommend?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I too make chop for the week and add just a bit of lemon or lime juice to help preserve the freshness.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use quinoa the most :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue

Thats a nice simple recipe and she made a VERY important point often overlooked by moi in early days. Sometimes they like big pieces, sometimes small. Sometimes cooked, sometimes not. So I tend to make smaller batches and mix feeding chop with birdie bread/muffins, or a pilaf. Have fun! And observe what they like and seem to eat so you can refine your personal recipe to your guys' tastes.

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm getting my guy to actually eat one food first, when he eats a variety of foods, then I plan on chopping and freezing tiny amounts separately. If I did that now, he would eat none of it...Picky brat.

Status
Not open for further replies.