• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I use up and toss two syringes daily

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your a good birdie mom!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why toss them? Can you sterilize and reuse a couple times?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
how do you sterilize them?
I think in boiling water? At the (wild) bird rescue that is what they do, not sure what is added to the water though.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I think in boiling water? At the (wild) bird rescue that is what they do, not sure what is added to the water though.
can i microwave them?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to medicate Scully and Lucy 2X a day and after I use the syringes I just rinse them in very hot water. I make sure to use the same syringe with the same bird. When I get medication from vets and am give syringes and have to give the meds for several days they usually only give me 1-3 syringes so have to do the same. I now just purchase a box of 100 1ml syringes similar to yours (different brand). When I was hand feeding I would reuse the 10ml syringes and would use boiling hot water to wash and/or run through the dishwasher.

Oooppsss....I use hot water, not boiling hot.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have to medicate Scully and Lucy 2X a day and after I use the syringes I just rinse them in very hot water. I make sure to use the same syringe with the same bird. When I get medication from vets and am give syringes and have to give the meds for several days they usually only give me 1-3 syringes so have to do the same. I now just purchase a box of 100 1ml syringes similar to yours (different brand). When I was hand feeding I would reuse the 10ml syringes and would use boiling hot water to wash and/or run through the dishwasher.
I’ll see if I can overcome my inertia and laziness to sterilize the syringes:D

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
For handfeeding I wash them with soap and water, then let them sit in an F10 solution until I need them again. Then I just rinse and they're ready to go!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
For handfeeding I wash them with soap and water, then let them sit in an F10 solution until I need them again. Then I just rinse and they're ready to go!
The plastic doesn’t absorb the F10? I have a bottle of it!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I don't think so... I know a lot of breeders who do the same. Just make sure it's an appropriate solution, maybe 1:250.
Bleach solution is also an OK disinfectant, BUT it will dissolve the o-rings in syringes.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
My vet says to rinse with cold water only when I was dosing Sherbs and going through lots of syringes. Even warm water will warp the rubber component and make your measurement off.

*These were the insulin size syringes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't use any kind of F10 or bleach because hot water and/or the dishwasher worked fine.
I use the syringes for a few days and I toss them. I don't use boiling hot water and don't know why I wrote that in the previous post. Duh!!

Last edited:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I would say that steam-cleaning them the way that you would a baby bottle is probably the best and easiest method, but this can melt a lot of the disposable plastic syringes on the market. If you have a higher-quality or even glass syringe this is probably the way to go.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
You can also use a bulbus device that holds more formula and wash it out for reuse as well. It reminds me of those suction things they use on newborn babies at the hospital but the tip is removable so you can spoon formula into it. If I can find mine from when we bread parakeets and cockatiels I'll shoot a picture of it and add to this thread. It was nice because it had a hard plastic tip that popped into the rubber bulb so no gasket to worry about. Easy to clean as well.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I went on-line and brought a syringe that was made of tempered glass, stainless steel and silicone.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I don't like to do one syringe at a time so I get a bunch an rinse after and then save for later. When I get several I boil some water and dump it over the syringes to sterilize and then I have a bunch that a ready to go again.