• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think this is a behavioral thing...

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
dexter has a concerning habit. He lets his wings sag when he’s relaxing. He’s done it for over a year, the vet says he’s fine. He stops this behavior very quickly if startled, and only does it when he’s calm and relaxed. It isn’t really pronounced in this photo, it is usually much more subtle. I know wing drooping is a sign of illness, and he was taken the vet the first time I noticed it.

Really just wondering if there’s any chance that he does need help, again he’s done this daily for Some time and my old (and very good) avian vet says it is behavioral and not signifying of any issue.

043DCDAC-FEAD-485D-8314-B1CC333CE955.jpeg

Last edited:

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I'd say that this is fine.After all he did it for over a year and no issues.Some cockatoos have habits unlike others.My U2,Umbrella,has a habit of biting sofa and pillows and beds and just them.Nothing else.My vet tells me that Umbrella probably enjoys the texture of the stuffing ( which all are cotton by the way) .Maybe Dexter enjoys the wind blowing him? (^_^)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Listen to your vet. I agree with him.

Does Dexter fly? (Can't remember).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The photo is beautiful because of the way the light shows through the wing.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Listen to your vet. I agree with him.

Does Dexter fly? (Can't remember).
I made the mistake of clipping him soon after he fle dged (and got good at it) because he liked to fly up the stairs and on top of the baby gate that kept the coonhound, who regularly killed rabbits in the back.yard (the people I was staying with thought it was hilarious) from running downstairs and hurting him. I clipped both wings and left the last 3 intact. I've been letting him grow them out since, and there is only one unmolted flight on his left wing left. I've been encouraging him to fly (with praise because he doesn't like treats) and now he'll fly from his cage to me, wherever I am, but he will usually walk everywhere else. I clipped him before (or shortly after) coming to the avenue, and have felt guilty since. Dex flew everywhere as a baby, be it 3 feet away or 30 feet away. He'd do it for fun, doing loops in the living room, and I was so mad at myself when he started walking everywhere.