• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 I think Pearl is dying

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
There are no avian vets nearby. We are looking for the nearest and we are going to take her tomorrow... if she makes it.
I have been trying to find a vet to chat with for about an hour. She seems to be deteriorating rapidly. Yesterday she didnt want to come out of her cage. That isnt that unusual. I did notice she was a little less active, but all of our sleep got interrupted the night before so I just kept an eye on her... Which turned out to be a good thing because this morning she was too weak to fly properly, and now she can hardly sit up on her perch. I have set her somewhere warm and dark, but I dont know what else to do. She flew up to the greys cage a few days ago, and Picasso caught her tail feathers. There was no blood, and she seemed okay, but I am worried that may have done some serious damage or osmething.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just keep her warm and quiet till you get her a vet, an ER vet would be needed, if there's any available. Can you get her some water from a spoon at least? Prayers coming.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Saying a prayer for Pearl.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm hoping you can get her to a vet soon and that she gets well soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep her warm and quiet and make sure she is eating and drinking something. The sooner you can get her to a vet the better. Hope she will be OK.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope she will be okay!

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Our ride for the vet crapped out. Trying to figure something else out. In the meantime we have split her and Quijote up into separate cages. Neither of them seems happy about it, but we want her to get her rest. She seems a little more lively today, but still very sick and she keeps head bobbing. While I try to sort out a way to get her to the vet, hubby is looking up natural things we can do to boost her poor little immune system. Its rough right now. Quijote keeps flying over to groom her cheeks through the bars, and she hasnt eaten anything since we took him out of the cage. (For some reason she has been eating directly out of his hand for the last day or so. Like...he holds the food, and she nibbles on the side of it.)

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Sending prayers, hope she's OK.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Head bobbing can be a symptom of yeast. Any vomiting? Has she been loosing weight? You can hydrate with pedialyte if you have any and use a small tuberculin syringe.
What do you mean by "our ride to the vet crapped out?"

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I hope Pearl pulls through. If separating her is preventing her from eating and drinking and having the other bird with her is not detrimental then you could put them both in the heated cage. I would observe and see which works better.

The only other consideration is that if you think it is contagious then you should keep them separated. Heat and removing and stress can sometimes be lifesaving so keep it up until you can get to the vet.

Water and food will be important to so if she will eat or drink that would be a good sign.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would call the vet you are trying to get to. Ask to speak to the vet and explain the symptoms. It's possible she may need antibiotics or antifungals and the vet may able to get some either through a pharmacy or another vet. It would be a shame for her to suffer and die when a short course of medication could save her life. Keep fighting to find a way to get her medical care. Her life depends on you.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she is ok.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Pearl doing?

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
Sorry to leave you all hanging. The friend who agreed to give us a ride to the vet bailed, but we were able to catch a ride into town with our neighbor, and take the subway from there. It wasn't the best possible scenario, as the trip stressed Pearl out a bit, but we finally got her there. Apparently she had some sort of infection in her crop. It was a miracle she'd been eating at all since the vet said it probably actually hurt to do so. We have been giving her antibiotics, and she seems to be doing a little better. For now she is getting lots of rest and we are feeding her an immune boosting birdie mash (served a bit soupy so it will be less difficult for her to swallow down.) The vet also said that Quijote can go back in the cage with her which Pearl seems happy about. As soon as we set him in there she set to grooming his head feathers. I will keep you updated. She is still pretty weak, but we should be out of the woods so long as we keep her fed, hydrated, and rested while we get the antibiotics into her.
The hardest part now is giving her the medicine since she has never been hand tamed and she HATES it. Still, better some flustered feathers and a few budgie bites than the alternative.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you were able to get her to a vet and I hope she recovers quickly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you got her to the vet and that she is doing better. Hope she is fully recovered soon.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: