• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think Jackson is going to go today

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Amoxicillin has a very low incidence of toxicity.

Sulfa drugs have a very high rate of allergic reactions.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I found out I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs when I got a very bad sinus infection and my Doctor figured it was a good inexpensive solution. She said itching was part of the reaction and I felt itchy right after starting it but figured I was being paranoid. I took it almost the whole course then started having night sweats and fevers and the shakes. I thought I was also getting the flu and went to work and everyone asked me what was wrong with my face. I was home alone as sister had gotten hurt at work and was staying with mom to heal a bit so hadn't really looked in the mirror or had any one else looking at me. I had like a measles/sunburn rash all over me and it was even in my ears. Doc put me on something else way cheaper real quick and the rash and the sinus infection cleared in a few days. I peeled just like a sunburn too. I'm also allergic to penicillin and had a similar reaction as a baby, maybe they're related.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dartman That happened to me with azithromycin recently! I'd never had a drug allergy in my life and had no idea it could be so slow/subtle. So it's definitely a possibility for Jackson's presentation.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Amoxicillin has a very low incidence of toxicity.

Sulfa drugs have a very high rate of allergic reactions.
I'm actually allergic to sulfa drugs too. I hope Jackson continues to improve.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks so much for all the information and reassurance! I had no idea about sulfa drugs. We should have a sticky. If I had given Jackson that morning dose of sulfatrim I might have lost him.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I too am allergic to sulfa based drugs. Same with penicillin.
I'm so glad that Jackson is doing so much better.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So glad you are giving him O2 therapy regularly. It gives them such a leg up. Hank was deadly allergic to Sulfatrim - immediate violent regurgitation the minute it touched his crop. Jasper takes it like a champ - no reaction at all. You just never know until you know.

I put a heating pad under Jasper's O2 tank and it keeps the tank nice and warm and as an extra bonus it warms her poor arthritic feet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So glad you are giving him O2 therapy regularly. It gives them such a leg up. Hank was deadly allergic to Sulfatrim - immediate violent regurgitation the minute it touched his crop. Jasper takes it like a champ - no reaction at all. You just never know until you know.

I put a heating pad under Jasper's O2 tank and it keeps the tank nice and warm and as an extra bonus it warms her poor arthritic feet.

Wow! Interesting that Jasper is fine with sulfatrim. I’m doing the oxygen twice daily until I get over my fear. It’s really not a problem so I can continue with twice. Thanks for the heating pad idea. Heater makes it too hot

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He’s all upset right now because of his amoxicillin dose. Sleeping on top of his cage. I need to go in for two hours today but don’t want to force him to get in his cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks great today. It's good that you are on top of things and got things taken care of such as the medication being changed.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He looks great today. It's good that you are on top of things and got things taken care of such as the medication being changed.
I have my techs to thank for it. The new girl out front had told me sorry there’s nothing we can do unless you bring him in. That made my tech furious and she got on the phone and chewed people out. Then her sister the other tech delivered it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's wonderful that you have a great relationship with the techs. One of the techs at the birds' vet goes to homes for grooming. The tech at my dogs' vet does house sitting and takes care of people's animal friends/family. Have never tried the in home grooming or pet sitting yet, but at least I know they are available.

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
Was very happy to read that Jackson’s improving and that you have some answers as to what was wrong. :sadhug2: