• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think Jackson is going to go today

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I’m catching up with thread after two days and I got so happy with his recovery but I am worried about him now.

I’m so sorry this is happening to you. My ‘tiel once accidentally aspirated on an oral medication (he was moving a lot) and I had to rush him to ER. We didn’t know if he would make it. He was only 4 months old then. I cried till I couldn’t anymore. Vet said that if he survived the next 3 days, he’d make it. Worst 3 days of my life. Didn’t get one second of shut eye. He made it.

Keeping Jackson in my thoughts. I really hope the poor sweet bird gets a break from all this.

Are they planning on running any more tests on him?

So glad your baby made it. Thanks for the good wishes for Jackson

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I missed this thread completely :(

I really hope Jackson will be ok!! I will be thinking of you all tonight ❤

I agree - a sticky would be a good idea. I have learned a lot from this thread.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The two meds that I know of that you need to watch for reactions with are Sulfatrim (any bird) and Flagyl (especially macaws). There are some fungicides that will cause reaction - Amphotericin B (very dangerous) and irtraconazole (hepatoxic).
Thanks ML. That’s very good to know!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I missed this thread completely :(

I really hope Jackson will be ok!! I will be thinking of you all tonight ❤

I agree - a sticky would be a good idea. I have learned a lot from this thread.

Thanks Zara! ❤ Adelie

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The two meds that I know of that you need to watch for reactions with are Sulfatrim (any bird) and Flagyl (especially macaws). There are some fungicides that will cause reaction - Amphotericin B (very dangerous) and irtraconazole (hepatoxic).
I had a bird on itraconazole (Sporanox). She did not do well on that at all. Wound up switching her to a different anti-fungal.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Jackson is having breathing issues again. Did the nebulization help? Hoping that it did and that he is breathing better.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
He just got half hour of oxygen. Now he’s going to eat dinner
This is only a small aspect of being a Parront and lucky for your fids that they have such a wonderful and caring one! I only wish it was mandatory for visitors to AA to read your posts (plus our other experienced Parronts) before they even contemplated becoming a new parrot carer, so that they could see what they are really getting themselves into!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This is only a small aspect of being a Parront and lucky for your fids that they have such a wonderful and caring one! I only wish it was mandatory for visitors to AA to read your posts before they even contemplated becoming a new parrot carer, so that they could see what they are really getting themselves into!
It’s a job!! Hope you never have to do this part of it!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He ate well and nibbled on raw organic broccoli plus birdie bread and sugar snap peas. He loves those.

Today I could only manage one dose of amoxicillin at bedtime (morning was crazy trying to get nebulizing supplies), one session of oxygen and one session of nebulizing. He’s supposed to get two of each. Tomorrow I’ll do better. He was chipper tonight

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Does the vet have further plans for testing or treatment?
No in fact the nebulizing was your idea. We’re waiting on the culture which was also your idea. She’s not an avian vet and is highly distracted at the moment

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Usually in difficult cases I pay for two consults and have her talk to Dr, Rhoda Stevenson in Jacksonville who is also out this week. That has worked well in the past

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
No in fact the nebulizing was your idea. We’re waiting on the culture which was also your idea. She’s not an avian vet and is highly distracted at the moment
I mean, I hope my ideas are helpful but yikes. I hope you can get him stabilized and then have additional input from the avian vet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I mean, I hope my ideas are helpful but yikes. I hope you can get him stabilized and then have additional input from the avian vet.
both vets will be back monday and the culture might be too. it was collected sunday and likely went out monday. Based on the results I'll arrange a consult. My vet is pretty good with most things but all this is happening while she's not in regular touch. Though she answers email every night and the techs are able to reach her. I guess I will adopt a more dependent approach and rely on her to suggest the next step when I ask.