• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think I irritated Uchtred Eye with medicine :(

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I was mixing cherry juice in her medicine at first and letting her drink it out of a bowl but she just flat out refusing to take it so back to syringe which she hates :( sometimes it gets on the side of her face but now I notice the the skin around her beak on that side and her eye are all swollen and inflamed. I feel horrible. I gave her a bath and phone her vet to see if there is anything I can put on it. I have two eye drops I got for them (use as nasal) Ofloxacin and Tobramycin but wanna ok it before I use it.

I don't think it's conjunctivitis it's not weepy/ discharge and it started 3 days ago around the time I was giving the medicine orally. I should have been more careful :(

20190319_150402.jpg 20190319_145244.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's okay and I hope the vet gets back to you soon.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Aww I hope she’ll be okay!

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I hope she's okay and I hope the vet gets back to you soon.
They ask me to get a good picture of the side of her mouth but she is not being very cooperative. She tries to rub her face all over my hand and make me pet her. She lets me touch it and scratch her but she's super hormonal right now and goes back and forth on whether or not she wants attention from me. I don't wanna force her to hold still :/ hopefully the one I took is good enough.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They ask me to get a good picture of the side of her mouth but she is not being very cooperative. She tries to rub her face all over my hand and make me pet her. She lets me touch it and scratch her but she's super hormonal right now and goes back and forth on whether or not she wants attention from me. I don't wanna force her to hold still :/ hopefully the one I took is good enough.
The one you posted here is pretty clear I think for them to see.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks red and irritated. I forgot what I used when I had that happen a red-bellied parrot. I did bring him to the vet to have the eye ring examined.

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
That looks red and irritated. I forgot what I used when I had that happen a red-bellied parrot. I did bring him to the vet to have the eye ring examined.
Usually I would just take her in when I notice anything out of the ordinary but her vet is out all week and the other avian vet isn't in till tomorrow. If she says to bring her in I will definitely. It is stressful :( I called the emergency vet too but the guy who sees birds isn't in tonight of course.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes that can clear up on its own so try not to stress out. SETI used to get inflamed, red eye rings or part of eye ring red every now and then. I would make an appt. to take him to the vet and sometimes the eye ring would be back to normal by the next day.

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Sometimes that can clear up on its own so try not to stress out. SETI used to get inflamed, red eye rings or part of eye ring red every now and then. I would make an appt. to take him to the vet and sometimes the eye ring would be back to normal by the next day.
Yeah last year both her eye rings were like this, she gets bad seasonal allergies. I don't think it's allergies this time I think it's from the medicine getting stuck to her face and her scratching.

Sometimes that can clear up on its own so try not to stress out.
Thank you :hug8:at least she is still active, eating and being her sassy self. Maybe since she got a good bath today the swelling and irritation will go down. -fingers crossed-

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Keep a fresh bottle of basic eye wash on hand. You can rinse the eye off if you think you've gotten something in them. I have accidentally gotten meds and just a few days ago milk thistle in an eyeball. I know that stung.

She looks much better :hug8:

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Keep a fresh bottle of basic eye wash on hand. You can rinse the eye off if you think you've gotten something in them. I have accidentally gotten meds and just a few days ago milk thistle in an eyeball. I know that stung.

She looks much better

I'm gonna keep wet cotton balls and eye rinse on hand just in case. Should have did it anyway and I'm gonna ask the vet if we can do a different flavour. I got cherry last time it smells like cough syrup. Wondering if she would like peanut butter.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

I'm gonna keep wet cotton balls and eye rinse on hand just in case. Should have did it anyway and I'm gonna ask the vet if we can do a different flavour. I got cherry last time it smells like cough syrup. Wondering if she would like peanut butter.
Let me know although I don't think anything is flavored that I get...I know the one med they make is 1ml simple syrup with 1ml distilled water. I usually request no simple syrup since it's pure sugar = yeast usually.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It does look better. That's a good thing!

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
So yesterday afternoon Uchtred's eye was pink again after giving her meds. I was very careful and didn't think I got any on her skin, her other eye was starting to look a little pink too. So this morning I didn't give her any of her medicine and her eye is clear. I'm wondering if she's just having a random allergic reaction to it? She started taking it 3/2 so it's weird that it just started. Will have to see if there is another thing I can give her. It was just something to help with her plucking :(

Going to try and give her calming teas before bed because that's usually when she starts plucking.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Which oral medication are you giving her?

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
It's called Amitriptyline. He said if it didn't work we would try Prozac but I just feel bad giving any of it to her, I really didn't wanna go down the medication route for this but her plucking has gotten worse. She only plucks pin feathers and around her leg :( I think I'm gonna try calming teas first.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you take her off the amitriptyline, be sure to ask your vet how to do it. Depending on how much she was getting, you may need to taper the dose rather than just stopping.