• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I think Dora may be a Male..?

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
She's my IRN about 2 years old. She, well, she's been rolling her head like she's regurgitating for quite a while to a toy. She also does the male mating dance. Her neck has gotten darker but no prominent black yet. She has never actually regurgitated tho. What else should I look for to determine her sex? I'd like your guys' opinions, too.

Thanks!

P.S. What should I call her if she turns out to be a male? I don't want anything too different from "Dora"

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We had the pleasure of living with Titan, an IRN, for 26 years. :)

Sometimes a ring might take 18-20 months to fully "come in"...it took Titan almost two years to fill in the black, blue, and pinkish-red on his neck. (His ring was actually quite stunning ;)) Outside of an actual DNA test, it's difficult to determine sex in younger IRNs.

As for a male name...how about "Derek"...it's similar sounding, and it's a strong male name, IMO...;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@cassiesdad Thanks! It'll be a bit hard getting used to thinking of her as a male (if she's a male).
I hear you!

Buddy, our Nanday Conure, came to us almost two years ago from a sanctuary...we were informed that Buddy was a boy...imagine our surprise when SHE presented us with an egg at the end of December...:jawdrop1: :D

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I passed on the DNA test because it was too much of a hassle. But... It's been confirmed. She's going through a partial molt atm and today I came home to find 2 red spots on each side of her neck. I freaked out; I thought she got hurt, I thought it was gonna get infected, and that she would slowly die, and that it was too late:facepalm:. I realized that they were individual feathers that were red and that they were even on both sides. Still is so little red you can only notice it up close. I'll post pictures when I can.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I passed on the DNA test because it was too much of a hassle.
I didn´t DNA sex any of my birds. No point as it won´t change anything.
I named all of my birds unisex names, good job too as I recently found out Lapis is a she not a he..
Also, I´m too much of a baby to pull a feather out for no reason other than to satisfy my own curiosity.

How did you get on buying a cage and toys for Dora? Did you manage to find something locally or did you end up having to buy from Amazon?

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
How did you get on buying a cage and toys for Dora? Did you manage to find something locally or did you end up having to buy from Amazon?
I found a nearby seller of toys so that's all good and taken care of. I ordered a cage online but since priority shipping is too expensive it'll be here within 45 days, 30 days now :)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She's going through a partial molt atm and today I came home to find 2 red spots on each side of her neck. I freaked out; I thought she got hurt, I thought it was gonna get infected, and that she would slowly die, and that it was too late:facepalm:. I realized that they were individual feathers that were red and that they were even on both sides.
...that's scary!

Reminds me of the first time our tiels had sweet red peppers...they came out looking like they'd cut their faces open!

Nope, red pepper juice...:rolleyes:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I came home to find 2 red spots on each side of her neck. I freaked out; I thought she got hurt, I thought it was gonna get infected, and that she would slowly die, and that it was too late:facepalm:. I realized that they were individual feathers that were red and that they were even on both sides.
Reminds me of the first time our tiels had sweet red peppers...they came out looking like they'd cut their faces open!
How horrifying! :faint: Pets are not for the faint of heart.