• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I swear he's going to hurt himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Okay Tiki has started doing something new and it's scaring me to death....

He purposely throws himself off his perches down to the bottom of the cage, or he will be going down the bars and decide to dive off because it's faster.

He will throw his toys out of his cup then jump down to play with them. He hits hard it scares me everytime!

I've even heard him laugh after doing it!! What is wrong with him!!??

I know it's not an accident I've watched him do it, it's usually when he wants to go down and play with foot toys. Is he really that impatient??

His new cage (smaller) is ordered and now I can't wait for it to get here because this ones big and he falls so far.

Anyone elses birds do this? :eek:

PS: he never has problems perching and only does it in his cage. I swear he gives me "the look" right before doing it because he knows it scares me LOL

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
:omg: That's crazy... Emma was doing that for a bit (when her leg wasn't broken that is) because she was mad that she was caged up...

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Well I don't think he's mad cause it's usually when he's playing lol!

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Something about this dosn't seem right to me, I know you said he does it on purpose but are you sure?? you said he hits hard? I would keep a close eye on it just to be safe,if he ment to to do it he would only jump from as far up as he felt he could comfortably land without hitting his keel bone,if he is hitting hard it makes no sence,maybe something is startling him and he panicks and falls? or maybe his balance is off a bit? not sure what to tell you here,all I know is it just dosn't sound right to me.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
He does hit hard, I mean he plops down to the bottom.

It is only when he is playing with something or trying to get to the bottom via cage bars.
He never does it when sleeping, eating etc.
The main time I remember it was him sitting on his perch throwing toys out of his SSbowl and his favorite heart toy got thrown out and there he goes after it. He played down on the bottom grate for a few minutes then climbed back up.
The other time was him trying to slide down the bars then he plopped off he was closer to the bottom at that time though. But the first time he was halfway up to the top of his cage.

He's done it twice today in cage, but I've had him out on his playstand for maybe 4 hours now and he's been flipping around perches, and running all over without falling.

I know his grip is tight cause I can sure tell his nails need to be trimmed LOL ouch

Oh and his wings are clipped in a "managed" clip where only the first feathers are clipped, but he can't fly at all, he just falls, so I think he was not allowed to properly fledge if that makes a difference.

I mean he's not acting sick at all so I don't know what to think!

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
At this point since nothing else seems wrong I'm more concerned with him hurting himself doing it, than with him doing it because something is wrong.

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Is he a baby?? and his wings are clipped?

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
If he was never allowed to properly fledge he will be more insecure,he will have trouble understanding that he can not glide,that is why he is jumping from to far away,he is thinking he will glide and when he can't he hits like a sack of potatoes, when his wings grow in he will be much more secure with himself,his confidence and his ability to calculate distance will be much better, so it's just a waiting game...hopeing his flights grow in quickly for you!...big hugs..

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Yes he was born in late June so between 4-5 months old.
He has tried to fly off the top of his cage (trying to get to me)
before and just goes straight down.

I think the breeder clipped his wings before I brought him home. I've had him about 3ish weeks.

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Thats so sad, he will get better at judging distance when he can properly fledge and learn that his wings can help him balance and glide, right now he feels disabled if you will, and is unsure of how his wings work..my B&G mac was the same way..I wish breeders would allow a baby to fledge before selling them grrrr, they have no idea how much damage this does to a baby birds mind..uggghhhh..

Hendryx

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
cushioning the cage floor is a wonderful idea!!

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
I'm glad Kristin chimed in :) Little dude just a rough and tumbler having a ball.

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
It does sound to me as though he is doing it on purpose. I had a caique that would literally jump from quite a distance cause it was faster. She scared me all the time too but after awhile, I knew that she knew what was safe for her. I think your guy probably knows too. I'd just sit back, relax and don't pay attention. He could have done it a few times to move quicker but probably knows it scares you so he continues to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.