• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I still miss you Sunny

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
sunny july.jpg

Two years ago today, we lost our sweet Sunny. It's hard to believe it's been that long already. I still think about him everyday. He brought so much love and laughter into our home. He was an amazing bird.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry..... cherish the good memories

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny was very special - amazing how much love and laughter such a little bird can bring into your life. My first tiel was also named Sunny. It is because of him that I now have 5 more tiels. :hug8:
Sunny was the start of it all for me too. If you would have asked me before he was suddenly brought into our lives, if I would ever have a bird, I would have said no. LOL. He certainly changed things.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The years go by so quickly even though the pain can be as fresh as yesterday. Makes time feel so weird and irrelevant sometimes. I still miss mine with all my heart and it has been several years for both of them. :hug4:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a cute picture. He looks cheeky in it! :swoon: Priceless! What's one of your favorite memories of Sunny?

Thanks to Sunny, an old, wild-caught cockatoo has found a soft place to land. :heart: Thank you, Sunny, for converting your Momma. Whenever I get sad about Pistachio, I remind myself how lucky we were to have known him in the first place & that if we'd stopped anywhere else for dog food that day we wouldn't have birds now. Funny how one chance meeting, an unexpected inheritance, etc, can change not only our lives but the lives of birds we haven't met yet.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cute picture of Sunny! It’s funny how such a little bird can influence so many lives and leave such a big hole in your heart. May your memories of Sunny make you smile.
:hug8:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sunny, Rocky and Tuffy are playing together in the glory. They are hanging out with Anne, Doll and Sadie singing their songs loud and long. They are happy and watching over all of us.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
:sadhug2: They cause such heart ache when they leave us!! Big hugs!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Although Sunny has gone on to the next plane of existence, he will always remain safely perched in your heart.

The anniversary of a :heart: bird's passing is always a difficult one, no matter how much time has passed.
Thanks to Sunny, an old, wild-caught cockatoo has found a soft place to land. :heart:
How very true...Elvis needed a new home...and I don't doubt for a second that Sunny was somewhere helping the fates to bring you guys together...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a cute picture. He looks cheeky in it! :swoon: Priceless! What's one of your favorite memories of Sunny?

Thanks to Sunny, an old, wild-caught cockatoo has found a soft place to land. :heart: Thank you, Sunny, for converting your Momma. Whenever I get sad about Pistachio, I remind myself how lucky we were to have known him in the first place & that if we'd stopped anywhere else for dog food that day we wouldn't have birds now. Funny how one chance meeting, an unexpected inheritance, etc, can change not only our lives but the lives of birds we haven't met yet.

I could write a book of favorite memories of Sunny. (Thanks for asking. :) ) He had such a big personality for a little bird. My first best memory would be the first time he came out of his cage on his own. I still wasn't sure at that point if we were really the right family for Sunny. We knew nothing about birds. LOL. But as I was changing his food one day, he climbed out, walked across the top of the cage, put his little head against my shoulder, looked at me with complete adoration and purred. My heart completely melted and I knew then that we were going to be his forever home. He went from a shy little, almost cage bound bird, to a little explorer/warrior. He loved to climb and explore. And he was my constant companion. I never really wrote about it at the time, but the fiancé had a lot of health problems back then and life was pretty stressful. Many nights it would be just Sunny and me as the fiancé was in the hospital. There were days that the only thing that made me smile was that little bird. The fiancé thankfully got better, and not long after that Sunny passed away. As silly as it sounds, I really felt like Sunny hung on as long as he did- surviving his stroke, his infections, etc because he knew I needed him. And then once the fiance was okay, he felt like he could let go. I was very fortunate that I had him for the years that I did. Of course, I wish it could have been longer.

sunny134.jpg Sunny with his favorite Steeler blanket.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
he climbed out, walked across the top of the cage, put his little head against my shoulder, looked at me with complete adoration and purred. My heart completely melted and I knew then that we were going to be his forever home. He went from a shy little, almost cage bound bird, to a little explorer/warrior.
Ohh! :loveshower: How perfect! I love that story. And "warrior" made me smile. I am so glad he hung in there for you. Y'all were there for each other! :hug8:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I could write a book of favorite memories of Sunny. (Thanks for asking. :) ) He had such a big personality for a little bird. My first best memory would be the first time he came out of his cage on his own. I still wasn't sure at that point if we were really the right family for Sunny. We knew nothing about birds. LOL. But as I was changing his food one day, he climbed out, walked across the top of the cage, put his little head against my shoulder, looked at me with complete adoration and purred. My heart completely melted and I knew then that we were going to be his forever home. He went from a shy little, almost cage bound bird, to a little explorer/warrior. He loved to climb and explore. And he was my constant companion. I never really wrote about it at the time, but the fiancé had a lot of health problems back then and life was pretty stressful. Many nights it would be just Sunny and me as the fiancé was in the hospital. There were days that the only thing that made me smile was that little bird. The fiancé thankfully got better, and not long after that Sunny passed away. As silly as it sounds, I really felt like Sunny hung on as long as he did- surviving his stroke, his infections, etc because he knew I needed him. And then once the fiance was okay, he felt like he could let go. I was very fortunate that I had him for the years that I did. Of course, I wish it could have been longer.

View attachment 281604 Sunny with his favorite Steeler blanket.
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
The years go by so quickly even though the pain can be as fresh as yesterday. Makes time feel so weird and irrelevant sometimes. I still miss mine with all my heart and it has been several years for both of them. :hug4:

Shawna said it really well. Many of the kind comments here said it well, and surely do hit home.

Although Sunny has gone on to the next plane of existence, he will always remain safely perched in your heart.

I love that!

Just wanted to send huge hugs your way today @sunnysmom . I so enjoyed reading the wonderful memories you had with him.
I can surely relate to him being there when you needed him most! The head on your shoulder brought tears to my eyes. So so sweet.

:mykid::bluhug::hug4:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm coming up to that time of year again. Hank died on July 28th six years ago. Like you, it seems like yesterday and hurts as much, just not quite as often. More of the time thinking of him are the fun memories.
Love Sunny forever, he was so special to you.