• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I still miss you Pretty Bird

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
.. I hope this is alright to post, my bird passed some time ago, but i'm still struggling with it. I thought maybe writing it and sharing might help? Sorry if not!!

Pretty Bird was a rescue/rehomed cockatiel from a wonderful woman who sadly could not take care of her animals anymore. We took in Pretty Bird and her chickens. I was a preteen at the time.

I remember being so amazed at having a parrot when I got her. When I was little I had fantastic dreams about having macaws (funny now... I'm not a macaw person) so having a parrot was "the coolest" thing to me. She was so pretty and nothing like I had ever had. Pretty Bird was the most gentle quiet bird. She wasn't the most hands on, she hated being touched for the most part... But she loved to be with me. I used to talk to her when I was upset, and cry with her. I went through being very ill with her by my side.

I had her around 6-7 years. I learned so much for her. She is the reason I got into the world of parrots and in someways probably one of the reasons I'm still here

A few years ago she became uncontrollably broody. I didn't know what to do. I remember the day so vividly. I had my GCC out and I saw Pretty Bird on the bottom of the cage... By the time I got her out she was already dying from being egg bound. I couldn't do anything.

I wasn't sheltered from death, certainly not bird death. I saw a lot of injuries and death raising my chickens. But there was something absolutely horrific about watching Pretty Bird die that still sends me into tears and makes me shake. I'm now always so panicked over my girls, so afraid it'll happen again. I've been having panic attacks over one of my current girl tiels recently who's been hormonal because of Pretty Birds death...

I love my current fids with all my heart. But I've seen people talk about their 'heart bird' and ... I think Pretty Bird was mine. Sometimes I feel like I realized that too late.

I don't have much of her. A few photos and two videos. We buried her, I regret not keeping some feathers and her leg band. But she changed my life. I have an immense love for cockatiels because of her and I cherish my four so much.

Pretty Bird... I miss you and I still love you.. Thank you for being in my life... Sorry I couldn't do better for you..

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet Pretty Bird.:(I'm glad you shared this, and I hope it helps you to feel better.
:sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
:sad4: Wow, words cant express how sorry I am. I feel your hurt through your words. I often refer to my Grey as 'pretty bird'. She has even began to mimic those words in her sweet jibberish. Shes not my first bird but shes my first parrot, my heart bird and I adore every inch of her; I cant imagine life without her. Again, I'm sorry. Just know that Pretty Bird will always be a part of you.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
It hurts, I know what you're going through, I been down that path a few times, I always look back and blame myself somehow for failing them. Sometimes no matter what you could have done even a Vetrenary doctor are unable to save them,in the end nature wins.What does matter is your intention, your compassion is what counts. Think about all the abused helpless creatures out there that have no voice and all the needless suffering they endure from cruel and careless people. Your love and compassion speaks volumes. Remember in this life the things we love are not ours to keep all things pass...:xflove:

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Wow I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost my guinea pig a few months ago and it was so hard. But now I have Riley and I love him very much! I am happy you shared this and I hope you feel better. I wish you the best in life. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am so sorry for your loss

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sorrow: Your post was a lovely tribute to Pretty Bird :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Everyone, thank you so so much for your responses. It warms my heart to see what you all read :)

@Tiel Feathers It did indeed made me feel much better. Thank you

@MARILYN CEDENO It's wonderful to hear about your grey, she sounds very sweet. I'm glad you have your heart bird :) thank you !

@Just-passn-thru thank you so much for your words. They were bittersweet and genuine.Thank you for taking the time to write that

@Popydoodle thank you very much! I'm sorry to hear you lost your friend... Riley sounds like a wonderful bird! I hope you share a wonderful journey together :)

@Sarahmoluccan I'm glad it came across as a tribute for her! She deserves it. Thank you!!

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
I'm so sorry for your loss, I know it's not much but what was Pretty Bird's colors? It's a small something I would like to do for you. :sadhug2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a wonderful tribute to Pretty Bird.