• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video I still don't understand it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How can I help him? He's been like this for an hour and the cage door is open. He'll sound an alarm every few minutes like something is trying eat him. It breaks my heart.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Could it be something like a flying insect in your room? My fids are afraid of flying :buzzbee: insects, :balloony: balloons and soap bubbles … :bubbles: :backout: Go figure.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could it be something like a flying insect in your room? My fids are afraid of flying :buzzbee: insects, :balloony: balloons and soap bubbles … :bubbles: :backout: Go figure.
No, he was perfectly fine on his sleep perch and then he suddenly started hanging on the bars. I don't see anything flying around and nothing changed within the last two hours that I would think would cause him to do this.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I ignore him when he does this so as to not encourage him, but it doesn't seem to matter to him one way or the other. He also does this when I don't answer his contact call when I leave the room. It's a bit more dramatic, but you get the gist.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is just a lifetime of built up behaviours. He’s doing this because it’s something he’s learned to do as his way of coping with situations. These things do not just change after so long unless/until they’ve learned something better/more rewarding.

How you help him is by bonding with him and earning real trust/respect. Building his confidence so he allows himself to open up more.

It should only take the rest of his life at worse to get there. :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is just a lifetime of built up behaviours. He’s doing this because it’s something he’s learned to do as his way of coping with situations. These things do not just change after so long unless/until they’ve learned something better/more rewarding.

How you help him is by bonding with him and earning real trust/respect. Building his confidence so he allows himself to open up more.

It should only take the rest of his life at worse to get there. :)
Is there a way to find what triggers this behavior? And how can I help him through this? It seemed completely random to me.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Best to try to ignore it or you will end up reinforcing it. Make sure he gets no rewards or attention for doing it...

Some of it is he is calling to you when you leave. They do it. Just give him a see you later when you leave & maybe one Your OK from another room & thats it.

Rio is pretty good but would call to me when I went to the bathroom. Now that he has Penny he does that alot less. They just don;t like being alone & they call to the flock but it can become excessive so you have to be careful.

Give him things to keep his attention...see what works for him.

Did you change anything? He used to like the platform on his door.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best to try to ignore it or you will end up reinforcing it. Make sure he gets no rewards or attention for doing it...

Some of it is he is calling to you when you leave. They do it. Just give him a see you later when you leave & maybe one Your OK from another room & thats it.

Rio is pretty good but would call to me when I went to the bathroom. Now that he has Penny he does that alot less. They just don;t like being alone & they call to the flock but it can become excessive so you have to be careful.

Give him things to keep his attention...see what works for him.

Did you change anything? He used to like the platform on his door.
I haven't changed anything as far as his cage is concerned. He gave himself a bathe then got on his sleep perch for a but before he started hanging on the side. He still eats and bathes on his platform, but now he seems to prefer his sleep perch. Right now he's perched but obsessively licking the bars even though there are toys nearby.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is there a way to find what triggers this behavior? And how can I help him through this? It seemed completely random to me.

The cage bars are the trigger. To change a behaviour you must change or remove the antecedent. In this case the antecedent is the cage bars. He can't cling to bars that aren't there.

But also in this case, those bars (cage) are his security blanket. So hopefully over (a long) time he becomes comfortable enough to live without those bars (which are the only thing he's known) but to "expect it" is a recipe for failure.

It's random to you because you don't really know him.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The cage bars are the trigger. To change a behaviour you must change or remove the antecedent. In this case the antecedent is the cage bars. He can't cling to bars that aren't there.

But also in this case, those bars (cage) are his security blanket. So hopefully over (a long) time he becomes comfortable enough to live without those bars (which are the only thing he's known) but to "expect it" is a recipe for failure.

It's random to you because you don't really know him.
Thank you. Looks like I have my work cutout for me, then. I'll do what I can to give him the best life possible. We've only just begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.