• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I saved an Amazon! For now...

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
i am in contact through FB with someone who wanted to rehome her OWA because he screams all day long! His previous owner let him loose into the wild because of it :( so i send her a PM asking her what the problem was.. She showed me a lot of pictures of his cage.

She has the same problem as i have with my OWA, scared the hell of everything, so i gave her some advice i got from AA and now shes gonna try again with toys and wood, because the bird is clearly screaming out of boredom despite the fact that hes scared of everything she hangs in the cage!

So i suppose this lovely bird has all you people to thank for not beeing rehomed again just yet!
Now i need you all to think good thoughts to keep him where he is! The woman in question clearly was not happy about rehoming, and willing to try anything :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So kind of you to help her. I hope it all works out okay. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up!

She should try whistling or singing. Secret will switch from the crow noise to whistling if led.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Indeed, talking and reading is one thing i advised! “We” (hehehe i can get soo over my head into things) are now first gonna work on getting branches into the cage so the OWA can start stripping and tearing :) and shes gonna look into training. Because the bird is so scared he sits on a java tree all day, free.. but with nothing to do! So we need to work on that first :) give the bird so much to do.. that he wont have time to scream :) keep his kind engaged etc.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
My OWA was afraid of everything too. We would give him one small toy at a time and let him get used to it for a loooooong time. It was always so funny seeing him sitting on the very edge of his cage tilting to one side in order to get as far away from that thing as he could. Eventually he would realize it wasn't moving and go closer and closer until he could play with it. What a ham. He passed away at 48 years old about 6 years ago. Still miss him.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Great job! She should definitely join AA.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for helping out! You´re doing great :bliss:

You should recommend her to join AA!
Could be a potential language barrier (?), if not, then I hope she does join :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Could be a potential language barrier (?), if not, then I hope she does join :)[/QUOTE]

Good point. I forget that not everyone speaks English. And I hate that I forget. :confused:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good point. I forget that not everyone speaks English. And I hate that I forget. :confused:
:lol: I only remember because AA is my sanctuary, one of the few places I can speak my language. (And to the birds).
The dogs bilingual but I speak a second laguage with my boyfriend, his English ain´t so good and I know he would struggle keeping up with more specific words used in the forums here.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
English beeing indeed a problem :(

Which is funny, because most Dutch people speak english at least at a very basic level! I have a friend who struggles to learn Dutch because people always start to speak english when they notice he’s not from around.. we’re such a merry little folk :hehe:

Luka is afraid of everything too! But i do notice that it helps having Coco around, ofcourse such is not for everyone possible :)

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Awe this is so wonderful!
You’re such a sweetie Lincee, no wonder Coco is so smitten with you :joyful:

It stinks she can’t join AA but it’s awesome she has you! Can’t wait to hear how this goes, I have a feeling we may just get a happy ending here :heart: