• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I really need your help my Aunts cats are sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
My sister and Aunts(they live together) cats have been sick dropping weight and just not acting well. One will have it and then another one will get it but they'd seemed to be getting better. They took one to the vet and the vet ran a blood test and not sure what all exactly they did but they couldn't find anything wrong.
Well today My Aunt lost one of her cats to whatever is making them ill.:( His name was Smokey he had been one of her Uncle's cats. Not sure on his age. But she came home from work to find that he had passed.:( Which she said at least he's not suffering anymore and I said yeah and he's with our Uncle now.
But she also took one of my sisters cats to the vet and once again they ran the test and nothing. All they can tell her is that it's jaundice and dehydrated.
But my Aunts Aunt(my great aunt or whatever you want to call it) cat has fallen ill now too. So she took it to the vet and they took x-rays as well but still nothing is showing up.:(
So I'm hoping somehow you might be able to help me in figuring out what might be causing this. Maybe there's something that needs to be checked that hasn't been checked by the vet or something. It can't be something the cats are getting into since my Great Aunt doesn't live there. Not sure when one or the other has visited each others house where they might have tracked it on them.
These cats are my Aunts babies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm sorry that all those kitties are getting sick! :( It's terrible not knowing what's going on.

I'm not sure if this could be it, but a few years ago I had a friend that constantly got sick herself. The doctors ran countless tests and couldn't find exactly what was wrong with her. Then she remembered it all started when she moved into her rented house. A few weeks after moving in her pet bird (canary I think) died suddenly.

Long story short, it turned out the house had black mould in it! The canary died almost instantly from it because his little body couldn't take much poisoning. My friend only got sick a few weeks after that because she could handle a lot more than her bird could.

Is the house your Aunt is living in a new house? If it's an old house then it might be worth it to test for mould.

Then again, I'm not sure why your great Aunt's cat would be getting sick then if mould was the culprit.

I'm sorry, I'm just throwing some ideas out there. I'm really not sure what could be wrong. :(

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
If the cats are jaundice, then their liver enzymes should be off in the bloodwork. Any upper respiratory symptoms? Could they be eating something that's making them sick? Poisons or rodents that may have been poisoned?

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
The house they live in is older but they also have 3 dogs that aren't sick and my Aunt and sister aren't feeling ill either.
I guess the vet that my Great Aunt tool her cat to called and was talking to my Aunt and is thinking it might be the food they feed them. But my Aunts don't feed the same type of food.:confused:
They thing that just gets me is that they are in different households, different food but are sick the same way.:confused:
My sister was saying that the vet my Great Aunt uses is going to call my Aunt and sisters vet tomorrow and talk to him about it all. Sounds like the better vet to me.
It's just a mystery. Just hope they are able to figure it out before they loose another loved pet.:(

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If it were my cat I would give it the herb slippery elm. Slippery elm mixed with water, 1 tsp slippery elm - 4 tsp water makes a mixture that is very soothing for the digestive tract and will bind to anything the cat has swallowed and help it pass. If you have aloe-detox I would put 1 cap full in a pint of water for the cat to drink, it is said to detoxify the liver which it sound like the cat needs. Like any animal the cat needs to be kept warm while sick. Did the vet suggest activated charcoal to bind to any toxins? For hydration some children's pedialyte.

Keep us posted

gary

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
My kitten had something similar, I had to force feed him a mix of water, human chicken baby food, and the juice from the cat food as well as pedialyte. I had to inject him with water Sub-Q every 30 min. because he was so dehydrated. Make sure they are getting plenty of fluids if not they are going to need to be injected with fluid or have an IV. I hope they do well and call the vet and see what he things as far as the IV goes and they pedialyte.
I also have used Ask a Vet.com you pay like $9 for really good advice. A few of my friends have used it before.
Good Luck and I hope they get better!!!

brianimal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
im so sorry this has happened, Sorry I don't have any advice, but I will be praying for them.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
If they are in the care of a veterinarian and he has done blood and urine work-ups, the cause of their illnesses will eventually be determined. Always best to listen to and follow the advice of the doctor, rather than trying to medicate or give supplements yourself. Make sure they are kept indoors, fresh water and a complete and balanced feline diet. Good luck to all of you and please keep us posted.:siamese:

ellimaye

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ellie
I am not sure what the symptoms are for cats with H1N1, but I know they can catch it. Might be worth looking in to. I've posted a link to a story about a cat in Iowa who caught H1N1 from its owners around the first of November. Hope they find what's causing them to get sick!

Pet cat in U.S. catches swine flu | Health | Reuters

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks everyone.

If it were my cat I would give it the herb slippery elm. Slippery elm mixed with water, 1 tsp slippery elm - 4 tsp water makes a mixture that is very soothing for the digestive tract and will bind to anything the cat has swallowed and help it pass. If you have aloe-detox I would put 1 cap full in a pint of water for the cat to drink, it is said to detoxify the liver which it sound like the cat needs. Like any animal the cat needs to be kept warm while sick. Did the vet suggest activated charcoal to bind to any toxins? For hydration some children's pedialyte.

Keep us posted

gary
I will mention those two things to them I already mentioned the pedialyte which my sister said she has some one hand. They had just been giving water by syringe to the really sick ones.

My kitten had something similar, I had to force feed him a mix of water, human chicken baby food, and the juice from the cat food as well as pedialyte. I had to inject him with water Sub-Q every 30 min. because he was so dehydrated. Make sure they are getting plenty of fluids if not they are going to need to be injected with fluid or have an IV. I hope they do well and call the vet and see what he things as far as the IV goes and they pedialyte.
I also have used Ask a Vet.com you pay like $9 for really good advice. A few of my friends have used it before.
Good Luck and I hope they get better!!!
I think they'll be needing to learn how to sub-q fluids.

If they are in the care of a veterinarian and he has done blood and urine work-ups, the cause of their illnesses will eventually be determined. Always best to listen to and follow the advice of the doctor, rather than trying to medicate or give supplements yourself. Make sure they are kept indoors, fresh water and a complete and balanced feline diet. Good luck to all of you and please keep us posted.:siamese:
They are all strictly indoor kittys as it is.:(

I am not sure what the symptoms are for cats with H1N1, but I know they can catch it. Might be worth looking in to. I've posted a link to a story about a cat in Iowa who caught H1N1 from its owners around the first of November. Hope they find what's causing them to get sick!

Pet cat in U.S. catches swine flu | Health | Reuters
Both my sister and I had thought of this but neither her or our Aunt has had the flu.

I'll keep you all posted. Praying they don't loose anymore.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
OMGoodness, this is so sad. I hope they figure it out soon. :hug5:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
There are many good articles about slippery elm on the net, here is a link to one. Keep in mind many vets do not know the benefits of this herb.

Little Big Cat

gary

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thanks Gary.

I think I forgot to mention that they had 12 indoor cats now 11.:( So they have alot of cats to get sick. But they are all very well taken care of. My Aunt just has a huge heart when it comes to stray cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.