• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I' puzzled by the behaviour of Bowie

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
Hello everyone,

Bowie just turned one years old past june 2023.

He seems protective of my dog?! When I even get close to her he becomes agressive. Why is that? He even tries to put his tummy over her tail.

The dog is calm and will not bite but how can I stop this behaviour?

Is it hormones? He leaves the conure female alone.

Kind regards,

Fay

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Can you put your dog in another room while Bowie is out?
Or, if possible have Bowie in another room?
That may prevent any further issues.
I thought he ooked more scared and ready to attack your socks or slippers, than protecting the dog.

If I go near my macaw with socks OR shoes on, he goes into attack mode lol

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
Hey Icey,

Thanks for heloing out. So I guess he seems more scared...

I will try to keep the bird away from the bird. When Bowie is in his cage he also becomes super restless when the dog walks by. He ignores everything I say. I try keeping a low and calm kind voice.

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
I also realize just now that he attacks me even when the dog is not around....

I've tried walking away and he starts to moan.... tried letting him bite my feet.

What else can I try out?

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I am a bit confused. Does it seem he is afraid of you in general, or just when you approach? Is it all the time, or just when he is in certain spots, like the floor?

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
It is most of the time. He also does come at my should when he is loose. But then flies off.

He attacks:
When he is at the floor.

When I try openening his cage. When he does I walk away and then he starts acting up.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: to the site :cool:

Reactions: Fay

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It is most of the time. He also does come at my should when he is loose. But then flies off.

He attacks:
When he is at the floor.

When I try openening his cage. When he does I walk away and then he starts acting up.
He might feel more vulnerable when he is on the floor (technically he is, so it makes sense).

If his behavior gets worse when you back away you could try two things:
1) Back off at the first sign of him being uncomfortable. This would be to try to communicate "I noticed you are starting to get scared, and I respect your space"
2) Don't back off when he gets upset. Instead, wait until he is calm. This would be to communicate something like "I see you want me to leave, but I won't (reward aggressive behavior). If you want me to leave, you need to be polite."

The best option depends on Bowie's personality and figuring out what his primary motivation is behind his behavior.

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
Dear Aestatis,

Thank you for your message...

I have tried both of these options. But you are helping me to keep confidence.... I will continue but with the phrases you have opted.

I will first try for a couple of week and will come back for the results and please remind me.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Definitely my birds would attack sock feet. A lot of birds don't see our feet as part of us.

I don't let my birds on the floor, as I have dogs as well. And I work to not allow dogs and birds near each other, as there is always a risk. Even if your bird has formed an attachment, and even if the dog is sweet, there is still a lot of risk ...

I would provide your bird with his own " furniture" perches around the room. Attach lots on the outside and top of his cage make that a home base. And then many of he creative in creating perch plsy areas. I use ceiling hooks and fishing line to hang perches, swings, cargo nets above the cage, by windows and such .

Teach foraging. It can be fun to do together too. Gives him something to occupy mind other than fixation on the dog

Set up some routine and hang out time with your bird. Maybe some simple trivks for treats. I do the simplest stuff ever with mine, like I tap have walk to me fir a treat, touch something for a treat, spin, and some recall flight.

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
Thanks Pixietreats. I will see what I can do. Makes sense.

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share an update.

It is a little bit better but as I need to adjust my behaviour as well we are still in training mode.

I've have tried using a calming voice when I get near him and when after some seconds when he would be comfortable I give him a treat. I replaced both of the birds food with pellets and will only get seeds and other nice stuff when they behave well. This helped some for sure.
Bowie is still a little on edge when I move to close, and if I even move just a bit more he will fly into my face - straight on. So I really need to be really slow and patient. He has relaxed a tiny bit around me...... and I communicate with him.... I still need to check the coming period how and whats. Will update when things get better. ...

Thanks you all. I just need to practise more

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
Hi everyone,

I am back about Bowie. It started to go a bit better for a while. But now my dog is severely ill Bowie starts again. When she is together in a room. He pretects her. When I come near my dog, he attacks my feet, and me. Even when I try to speak to him with a kind voice he can't handle it. And my voice is gentle in nature. He even starts flying up to me to attack nowadays. He has become not to being handled. From today I am gonna seperate them. Because it is unbareable. When he is around he attacks me. Like I am his enemy. Even when I try to talking calmly he flies straight up to me for the great attack. What should I do?He has been with me for two years. I don't want to lose him.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Hi everyone,

I am back about Bowie. It started to go a bit better for a while. But now my dog is severely ill Bowie starts again. When she is together in a room. He pretects her. When I come near my dog, he attacks my feet, and me. Even when I try to speak to him with a kind voice he can't handle it. And my voice is gentle in nature. He even starts flying up to me to attack nowadays. He has become not to being handled. From today I am gonna seperate them. Because it is unbareable. When he is around he attacks me. Like I am his enemy. Even when I try to talking calmly he flies straight up to me for the great attack. What should I do?He has been with me for two years. I don't want to lose him.
Did you try to separate them?
The longer you hold off, the more he is going to bond with the dog, which isn't really a good thing, as you now realize.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can't view you footage but I did pick up that you are having issues with a bird who is protecting a dog.
I really think you should separate the bird and the dog- not a good idea to mix prey and predator pets for a start but secondly if the unnatural interest in your dog is causing other issues such as aggression then I think it is pretty obvious the situation is not good and needs your intervention and some healthy changes for the betterment of your birds life.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Oh no : ( Sounds like Bowie is bonded to your dog. It sounds like you've done a great job of reducing his fear around you, but right now he thinks he is protecting your dog. It sounds he isn't necessarily so scared of you, just that he wants you away from your dog as much as possible. I'm not sure if this is typical for Kakarikis to be so defensive of their 'mate'. Anything that would be making him more hormonal?

Fay

Moving in
Real Name
Faiza
Thank you all for your lovey support. I try keeping him away since yesterday, but Bowie managed to open his caged and went to see my dog. I stayed calm and more on a distance and because of that he did not attack me. I tried another way by respecting that he likes being with the dog. But I will continue seperating them yes.