• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I need help!

Kathy0701

Checking out the neighborhood
I have no clue what to do, my budgie got attacked by my sister's cat and now it's abdomen is an open wound. All the Vets are closed to I can't take him to a vet until tomorrow, my poor baby I don't know how to bandage him either. This has never happened before and I don't know what to do. What should I do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry, is there an emergency vet in your area at all?

The best thing you can do is probably try to keep her in a small area like a carrier so she can't move around as much, and keep her warm and comfortable with food and water available.

Is she still bleeding?

Kathy0701

She's not bleeding anymore and she's in her cage with food and water. I'm just worried that she'll hurt herself throughout the night with her wound open. I'm trying to find out how to bandage her wound up but I can't find anything.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She'll need a vet as soon as possible regardless as she'll need antibiotics. Unfortunately cat saliva is often the thing that kills birds, because they have bacteria in their mouth that is harmful to birds. I would be worried about stressing her out more by trying to bandage it.

Kathy0701

I'm planning on taking her as soon as they open up, In the mean time I'm letting her rest and trying to keep her as comfortable and calm as possible.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I'm planning on taking her as soon as they open up, In the mean time I'm letting her rest and trying to keep her as comfortable and calm as possible.
under no circumstances should you put any ointment or neosporan or anything like that on the wound.

if the wound starts to bleed again you can steril gauze and hold it with pressure or you can use cornstarch or flour to stop the bleeding. Try sprinkling it on and/or making a paste and putting directly on the wound.

You need to ascertain if your bird is in shock. Birds in shock… birds in shock will present as weak, fluffed up, unresponsive, and will have a change in normal breathing… typically they breath in slow and exhale quickly.

if your bird is in shock it is essential he be in a warm environment… preferably semi dark and humid. Warmth is critical in getting it thru the night.

if it’s too weak to perch find a shoe box and put a small soft towel in it or some other medium like paper towels and put the shoe box in the cage or someplace safe away from harms way. Make sure you provide it with water and a small amount of food. Although it’s very unlikely it will eat while in shock

if it’s not bleeding you might make a solution of 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 cup of warm water to clean the wound. But that’s a judgement call

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Everyone has given you good advice..you should not bandage. Birds have air sacs and putting a bandage can keep them from being able to breathe normally.

A veterinarian is a must with any cat in counter , even if was a minor wound or no wound was found , because of pasteurella bacteria carried by most all cats . They have to get in antibiotics right away .

I'm so sorry, I hope your little one has survived the night and you've been able to get into a veterinarian.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Everyone has given you good advice..you should not bandage. Birds have air sacs and putting a bandage can keep them from being able to breathe normally.

A veterinarian is a must with any cat in counter , even if was a minor wound or no wound was found , because of pasteurella bacteria carried by most all cats . They have to get in antibiotics right away .

I'm so sorry, I hope your little one has survived the night and you've been able to get into a veterinarian.
You’re absolutely 100% correct, you shouldn’t bandage the chest area for the reasons you stated.

However it is OK to hold a sterile gauze over the wound and apply a controlled amount of pressure to stem any bleeding. And once the bleeding has stopped remove the hand held gauze from the chest and abdomen area.

SIDE NOTE: it’s perfectly ok to bandage and render immobile wing and leg injury’s.