• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help please

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
haha haha you made me laugh so hard ! I read an article a parrot rescue wrote... they said one thing in common all the rescued parrots said was "shut the heck* up"!
I can imagine some sick person yelling that so much at a bird that they take that phrase on. But you reap what you sow... The Bird ends up yelling it right back to them!

(All-I know it is psychological abuse that these birds endure and that frequently it goes along with physical abuse. I am not diminishing that with my post. I am only saying that the depraved Subhumans that abuse these animals are IDIOTS!)

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Tyrion, I will attempt to answer your questions. :) He has definite weakness in it. He has used it briefly once to hold food but mostly eats with his beak. He also plays with toys with his beak. He climbs using both feet but the majority of the work is done with his good leg. It's a clumsy climb. He is scared to be held so we are slowly going to work on that. I haven't felt his leg. I'm lucky he allows me to rub his head. I haven't seen him perch at all on anything. He sits in his bowl, hangs out on the bottom or climbs. He has fallen out of his bowl at night while asleep so I need to get him a cage and platform perches asap. The cage he is in now is too small for platform perches that would be large enough for him. I think his leg has been broken. His plucking is only on his neck area. We are fortunate enough to live within an hour of a large parrot supply store. They sell any kind of parrot food/mix/bread , etc... I have started adding Roudybush, a healthier seed/nut mix and fresh vegetables/fruit to his diet. I am doing this slowly to not upset his stomach. I hope I've answered everything. I haven't had him long. He does have a very large, colorful vocabulary. I was told his name was "Moe" but he doesn't acknowledge it so we may change it. We aren't sure of his sex, but I'm not interested in DNA testing and I'm obviously never going to breed him. I just want him happy and well taken care of. He deserves it.
He sounds wonderful ...I would go for a cage thats not to tall but wide and long enoough so he gets to move around and yes allot of platform perches to make him feel safe ...I would also get an xray on the leg as soon as you can so you know what your dealing with ...maybe once you get him in a bigger cage and on a better diet the plucking will calm down ...more veggies fruit and tree nuts should help ....and once he relaxes with being in a new home the plucking might calm down sometimes its related to stress ... it sounds like your heading in the right direction ..best of luck with him :)

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
After a week, here is our update: We upgraded his cage to a macaw cage which was a gift to me so I happily took it. I know the reviews are mixed on the Silverado cage but the cage is new and very sturdy. He's not a large CAG and I do have the resources to replace the cage if this one turns out to be a letdown. He is already using most of it, which makes me happy. He deserves the space. My husband made some platforms for him. He does perch sometimes on his large perch that came with him, since it's beside the bars of his new cage. He likes walking along his new rope perch while holding on to the bars. Honestly, I was so worried about his anxiety and switching cages since he's been in such a tiny cage for so long. He is all over, playing with toys, and eating well. I'm so relieved. I need to work on trust because be bites me. This is a real issue but he's been here about a week, so this will happen over time. I am sewing some fleece to go on his platforms, unless there's a better option? I definitely need to buy more toys because the the cage looks so empty and he has 13 toys in there. Any additional advice is always welcome. He has a huge vocabulary and is a fast learner. In a week, he's already learned "Hey Mom" and the beeping of my husband's bobcat in reverse. He even "sneezes loudly" and says bless you. Anytime a phone rings he says hello. I'd estimate his vocabulary to be over 30 words/noises/phrases. Some aren't so nice. He likes to yell at someone named Richard quite a bit! He's so funny and is such a blessing. Anyway, here he is less than a day after switching cages.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
AWWW, what a sweet boy. It looks like he's Loving that cage and the toys!
Naughty biting and bad words, stinky boy :lol:(I call my birds stinky when they are being bad)
I LOVE that you see him as a blessing. He is so lucky to have you.:heart: The biting will take time, and so will the potty mouth. When he realizes that he's safe and no more yelling or any other indignities he might have experienced he will be a wonderful boy, I bet!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's got more use of his foot than I thought. :) And he looks so happy! :fairy2:

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
You're awesome for rescuing him! I've been told Greys are rather clumsy, and that holds true with Baby Girl as well. That makes it extra tough for a disabled Grey. I'm sure he's in constant pain, which will reflect in his attitude here and there. He's lucky he has someone with experience with rescues and all the patience you have. I wish you guys the best! My CAG is my sweetest bird of the bunch so far. Once he's on the mend, I'm sure you two will have a strong, trusting relationship.