• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need help - it's a whole new ball game

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cocoa has a nare that is significantly smaller than the other one. We think he has a rhinolith (also called nasolith) which is a "nose stone" or a small calcium and phospherous stone that that your body makes, usually around a foriegn object.

When my vet noted his nare she told me to keep an eye on it (we didn't know what was causing it yet). I checked back in his HS records and found he had a stone removed before so may be prone to them. The last one was removed with tweezers without incident.
MC had a small bump by his nostril that seemed to be growing. The vet wanted to keep an eye on it and said it was some sort of non dangerous thing and not worth operating on. Suddenly, it was gone. I think the goof rubbed it off but now I wonder if it was something like yours and he rubbed it out.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wasabi is hormonal now. I should have known better than to get within a foot of him other day when he bit my head. That was risky and dumb. I can feel the boo boo.

If I was you, I would not think twice about keeping him in his house most of the time, until he cools his jets. Maybe he would get the message that bad behavior means no time out with the family, and if he behaves himself, maybe he gets time out of his home. Wasabi has zero concept of that.

Wasabi was said to be female. Everything about him screams, I am a boy!!!!!!
It’s hard with Amazons like we have. W launches at me, too. It’s part of who he is, but I am not afraid of that, and if I was, he would take full advantage of it. At times he will lower his head for a scratch while keeping his eye on me. I know there’s a sucker bite waiting. I don’t touch him.

I hope Cocoa returns to his old self soon and that he does not bite you anymore. Good luck.

Last edited:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thank you so much for all who said it is okay to clip him a bit and keep him in his cage for a couple of days if needed. I just felt so guilty and assumed that everyone had all of their birds, big and small, out for hours every day. I know it sounds strange but now that I feel like I have "permission" from all of you seasoned experts to do more to control him and that it is normal amazon handling, I already feel relieved. I did "jail" him when he took the notch out of my ear and told him that we both needed time out before one of us committed murder! I still can't believe how calm I remain whilst getting bitten though and that my priority is navigating him to the cage (with the least damage possible to me) - my sister keeps saying she would drop kick him out the door! I am really careful not to shout out or show too much drama in case it rewards him - it is hard. I honestly didn't know that I had it in me to be so stoic until Coco came along (we dropped the "a" because it seems more "manly" without it).

Every one is telling me to "get rid of him" and it would probably be the sane thing to do but to where? Even if I did want to (which I don't), it is funny, people say give him to a sanctuary, like there are unlimited parrot sanctuaries where birds fly free in some kind of paradise all mixed in together (with unicorns and rainbows and are tended to by fairies).

I will update with his other blood test when they come in. He is eating some pellets now that his beak has been shortened and shaped so that is a positive.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch was VERY cage aggressive but OK once he was out away from it unless something triggered him. When I got him a new much bigger cage that mostly went away as I think he had more options to move away if he wasn't comfortable plus it wasn't the home he'd had when I got him and he had claimed.
Lurch was a Maxi Pionus but he was a male and always a bit grumpy and aggressive even after he finally decided I was his chosen one and he could trust me. I had to read him too, if he was pissy and lunging and flaring leave him alone till he decided to be nice, or face the wrath and bites. I think Pionus are somewhat similar to Zons in a smaller package, he certainly could bite.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it helps, MC won't step up to come out of his cage..... he bites his T stick and attacks it.

However, I can roll his playstand next to his cage and he takes himself right over there. From the playstand, he easily steps up on the T stick.

Secret easily steps up on T stick from a perch in her cage.

You have to remember that each and every bird is an individual. You need to figure out what Coco prefers.

As to those who tell you to drop kick....... ask if their puppy or kitty ever bit them. Or...... their toddler. Most importantly, note to yourself never, ever, leave those individuals in charge of a pet that you love.

People can be flat stupid.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If it helps, MC won't step up to come out of his cage..... he bites his T stick and attacks it.

However, I can roll his playstand next to his cage and he takes himself right over there. From the playstand, he easily steps up on the T stick.

Secret easily steps up on T stick from a perch in her cage.

You have to remember that each and every bird is an individual. You need to figure out what Coco prefers.

As to those who tell you to drop kick....... ask if their puppy or kitty ever bit them. Or...... their toddler. Most importantly, note to yourself never, ever, leave those individuals in charge of a pet that you love.

People can be flat stupid.

Most people aren't familiar with birds and would get rid of an aggressive dog or cat. That's how they equate it. Hormonal birds are hard, no doubt. Petey has given me moments of doubt where I thought about rehoming him. Right now, he's a monster.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't listen to your friends that say get rid of him. I had a cockatiel for over 20 years that I was able to pet him without getting bit exactly twice in all that time. He was still a great companion, just not a touchable companion. Literally, don't be afraid to cage him. I think I had Gremlin caged for the better part of a month during his first hormone season. He gave me one bite that didn't need medical attention but was close to it and produced the biggest bird bite scar I have. I was a little sick of him because he bit me 5 times in the course of a week and I decided we needed a reset for both of us to cool off and forget the pattern. This year (second year of hormones for a 9 year old nape) I only caged him for a couple weeks. After that I just watched body language close and some days he's able to come out and some days not. Sometimes he takes himself out of the equation and moves to the back of the cage. If he acts like he doesn't want out, it usually means he wants to bite and if I push it, I'll get what I deserve. I am still able to pet him at times and there are times in the fall and early winter that I can handle him pretty casually. Having a male just means all the things that are true for females are doubly so for males. A female might bite and make you bleed if you screw up. A male will attack you outright and bite harder if you screw up.
Males are not bad birds. But your expectations for how you interact for a chunk of the year needs to change with a male.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I couldn't give on Lurch even though it took 5 years for him to mostly decide I was his friend and didn't need immediately harsh corrections. He got to where he wanted scritches and my food and drink and flew after me like a feathered puppy when I left his sight. It was worth every bite to see him happy and he definitely loved me in his own grumpy way and occasionally would do little things that showed he cared but biting was part of who he was, it was feature of his.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MC had a small bump by his nostril that seemed to be growing. The vet wanted to keep an eye on it and said it was some sort of non dangerous thing and not worth operating on. Suddenly, it was gone. I think the goof rubbed it off but now I wonder if it was something like yours and he rubbed it out.
Could have been a feather cyst.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I say clicker training! Show him how he gets rewarded for choosing positive outcomes!:)

As for the rhinolith, I saw my first one in a BFA on FB from a friend who runs a rescue...all I can say is WOW! If you haven't seen them, google it!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I say clicker training! Show him how he gets rewarded for choosing positive outcomes!:)

As for the rhinolith, I saw my first one in a BFA on FB from a friend who runs a rescue...all I can say is WOW! If you haven't seen them, google it!
Ooooooh

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
muzzle or neuter a bird... he is not a puppy how odd.

MCraig

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
First off, I want to say - I feel you!!

I have a DYH myself and oh lordy when he is in a mood, watch out. Those are the days we don't go around his cage. He still gets the interaction of us in the same room but honestly some days are better as "hands off". He has actually taken a chunk out of the back of my arm when I (foolishly) tried to clean his cage with him on it. He is the devil incarnate when I touch anything in or around his cage - and he is bonded to me! My husband doesn't even get a chance. Some days he can't even open the food door without being lunged at. But, alas, we love them anyways.

I also wanted to say I have a friend with a female yellow crowned who is 24 years old (Tiffany) and she is also the devil incarnate to my friend. Tiff will take any chance she gets to do exactly what Cocoa is doing to you - jump, lunge, attack. My friend has battled with this for almost as many months as you and she even considered rehoming her. However, Tiff LOVES my friend's husband and is a total joy around him. In the end, my friend rescued a little Goffin's 'too who is bonded to her. So Tiff gets the attention she needs from hubby, and the Goffin's gets the attention he needs from my friend. Tiff has a prevue macaw cage so when hubby isn't home she isn't "trapped" in a small cage. She has a large space to live in without endangering anyone.

You are doing amazing - and Cocoa is lucky to have you. remember that most, if not all, amazons are jerks - this is why they are rehomed so very often. You are one of the chosen ones - and even if he doesn't show it, he loves and appreciates you and the amazing home you have given him.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Amazon's they are far better a guard dog then the actual guard dog! Got to love the bite! :backout: All kidding aside I agree w/ all the good advice. My Buddy is a Mexican red headed Amazon. I have a hard time w/ the initials before the amazon part as I only have managed to learn a few.

People who talk mean about your bird don't understand birds & should never be a birdy babysitter. The cage nest is THE nest. However, we also have a basket in our room. This became a second nest area. He will be belligerent if it's not his person (right now me) if he's tired or in a mood. Be advised once puberty is over there is still that breeding mood every year, I can say for sure because Buddy's over 20 yrs old. The more you work with him the better/easier things should/will get. I know I have read a ton of posts that recommend a step up stick/T stand for clicker training. BTW....

:congratsbig:

For your ___ grams of bouncing screaming (& if like mine) honking big beautiful Boy. After all the reading & learning I wouldn't trade my guy for anything in the world. Zon's are too :cool6: cool! Each one has its pros & cons but when you think you cannot take one more yell, or nip. Walk away take a breath & remember this little tidbit. It will all be worth it. It will happen just before the...

:crycry2::extremeanger::scared4:

nervous breakdown!

Just @ that exact moment you will not even remember life before your :egg: Zon!

Also, be advised your baby boy may fear it (the stick) for a bit so my suggestion is to put it where he can see it all the time. Then slowly over a few days move it closer & closer until he doesn't seem to fear it. Even if it's on the floor & you walk by play w/ the stick then put it back down. The more he sees you/the person that will be working with him, not be afraid of the stick the better he'll be when it's time. You may also want to spend some time reading the topic in this forum...

Here's a link to it.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Amazons | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Good Luck to you!
:hug6:Rain

Last edited by a moderator: