• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need advice

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Hello!!! I have 2 African ringnecks (9 months to 1yr and a1/2 old) I've had them for 2months now and we cannot handle them,they run to the back of the cage, their wings are not clipped and I'm at a loss what to do,will they eventually trust us,should I force myself on them? I tried to give a treat on a spoon and she lunged at me (bluffing?) I sit with them every day and talk and sing to them and listen to music, Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank You

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Were they rescues, have you tried millet, do you have a t stick

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Two months is not very long for them. Definitely do not force yourself on them, they will never trust you if you do that. You should always try to make every interaction positive and everything they do should be their choice. What kind of cage are they in? Maybe you can leave the cage door open and put treats or their food right outside the door on a perch. What is their history?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Some birds take longer to settle in than others. Definitely don't force yourself on them. You want to build trust. You can spend time sitting with them, talking to them, even reading to them, just so they get used to having you around. Treats also work wonders. Is there something they really like? You can work on trying to hand feed treats to them.

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I have not tried millet,I do not have a t stick...
They love dried papaya, I've been putting it on a spoon but they won't come to me......
Not sure of the size of the cage but it could fit a African Grey, I left cage door open but they got startled and flew out and it took all day to catch them......
They were purchased from a Aviary, they were sent to me, not much background on them, just a age range

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Take your time. Patience is key. continue to sit with them. Its all about trust, and they don't trust you just yet. 2 months is not long at all.

what I did when we brought Sam home was feed him warm oatmeal from a spoon to start with, eventually my fingers. He loved it. Just have patience. :)

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I'm so glad to hear you say"take your time" I definetly will!!!!
I also will try the oatmeal too!
My Birds (Micky &Malorie) are beautiful and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for them.... Thank u for the advice too!!! :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Welcome!!!! For Melon (she's a IRN tho) she took me a good few months, and even still I have a lot to learn as she was a rescue from the wild! I hope I can help some but since every bird is different I can't promise it may or may not help!

The first month was letting Melon adjust to her new home as a pet (and as a new family ofcourse!), due to the fact she was never used to being cages, etc, I would sit next to her cage and talk to her when ever I could. But also to give her space as well.

The second month, I found out she likes oranges!! So I used orange as a form of treat for her and eventually she started to warm up to me and my s.o, she also stopped trying to dig at the corner of her cage (thank goodness.)

From then on she started to open up and started to get more and more comfortable with her new life. However she became cage bound in the process.... (Which I think is happening to your birds.) she gets very aggressive when I or my s.o would stick our hand in to have her step-up, she would lunge and had even gave me a significant amount of good sized bites! (Yikes)

I've had her for about almost a year and she's still kind of cage bound but we're working on that. Now she can step up, and she's much comfortable with me. Even then she still lunges at me with full intention to bite (only at night time and I don't know why yet... we're working on it!)

First thing's first, I would definitely keep up with sitting by the cage and talk to them! (Because they seem to be very afraid of human presence, from what you described.)

When they stop flying to the back of the cage when ever you are next to or near the cage, try to sit next to the cage and put your hand inside the cage, and talk to them. (Melon liked it when I soft softly to her) it's okay if they fly to the back of the cage as everything takes time and patience! (Well worth it once your birds open up to you)

You'll notice your birds will eventually get used to your hand, try hold a treat in your hand and see if they'll take to it. (Millets are definitely great! And ringnecks love fruit so perhaps you can try to experiment on which fresh fruit they like as well!!)

i hope this kinda helps you. This is how I learned to gain Melon's trust and am slowly bonding with her. Everything does take a lot of time and patience, but it's well worth the wait!!

Melon also says welcome!!

IMG_3748.JPG

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Omg,Thank you so much Riptide Queen!!! Its so good to hear your advice and know someone else in the same boat, thank you for taking the time and telling me your story!! Melon is Adorable!!

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Omg,Thank you so much Riptide Queen!!! Its so good to hear your advice and know someone else in the same boat, thank you for taking the time and telling me your story!! Melon is Adorable!!
The key term i learned about birds is not to 'tame' but to gain their trust!

I do wish you luck and hope to see and hear more form you!! I love AA, and the people here are always willing to give a helping hand so you can always come back with questions (if you have any! And I'm also always open to try and help as well!)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I tried to give a treat on a spoon and she lunged at me (bluffing?)
I would recommend removing the term "bluffing" from your repertoire. Here's why.

Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Do Animals Bluff?

I sit with them every day and talk and sing to them and listen to music
Sitting next to their cage isn't necessarily a good idea. If they are afraid and on high alert, then it's better to distance yourself from them.

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

They love dried papaya, I've been putting it on a spoon but they won't come to me......
Instead of trying to get them to accept papaya from you, why not drop a piece or two in the cage every time you walk by? Try and walk by in such a way that they don't freak out, either, but to remain calm.

Parrot Behavior Myths: Building Trust | Learning Parrots

Not sure of the size of the cage but it could fit a African Grey, I left cage door open but they got startled and flew out and it took all day to catch them......
It's not a good idea to chase them if you don't have to.... it may be better to see if they would be willing to go back in the cage on their own when they feel comfortable or when it starts getting dark. They know that's where food and water is, so they may be willing to go back in on their own. If they wont, it's better to now allow them out until you've got some trust with them.

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Monica, Thank You, Thank You ,Thank you!! This is gonna help me so much!!!!!