• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I need advice on this

bleiben

Moving in
I am a new bird owner. My budgies got out of the cage. They aren't really tamed yet and had their wings clipped before I got them (not my choice) so this was very much a bad thing. I managed to get them back in and they're both acting normal, clearly a bit stressed and puffed up but otherwise normal. However, one of them has a cut at the top of his beak, right under his nostril area. How bad does this look? I don't have a job yet so if I need to take him to the vet I'll have to ask my uncle so I'd like to be informed on how urgent that seems to be. Thank you.

20210921_101707~2.jpg

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My main concern would be how did he get the scratch. Did he bash into a wall? Get clawed by an animal? Or just scratched himself. If its just a scratch, it'll likely be fine; maybe use a cotton swab to clean it up and make sure it's not actively bleeding yet and inspect the area.

If he bashed into a wall, you'll need to check for signs of concussion.

If he got it from a mammal, he needs medication to avoid sepsis.

bleiben

Moving in
My main concern would be how did he get the scratch. Did he bash into a wall? Get clawed by an animal? Or just scratched himself. If its just a scratch, it'll likely be fine; maybe use a cotton swab to clean it up and make sure it's not actively bleeding yet and inspect the area.

If he bashed into a wall, you'll need to check for signs of concussion.

If he got it from a mammal, he needs medication to avoid sepsis.
He did bash into a wall. I'm not sure if that's how he got it but it did happen. Him and my other budgie were the only non human animals in the room so he didn't get it from an animal.

What are the signs of concussion? He's acting normal but I don't know what to look for so maybe I missed something.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
He did bash into a wall. I'm not sure if that's how he got it but it did happen. Him and my other budgie were the only non human animals in the room so he didn't get it from an animal.

What are the signs of concussion? He's acting normal but I don't know what to look for so maybe I missed something.
Here are a couple lists of things to look for
Treating and Recognising Concussion in Parrots - Eclectus Blog

Birds Online - Health and diseases - Other diseases - Concussion

bleiben

Moving in
Well then I have good news, I think both birds are fine! They haven't exhibited any symptoms beyond one being fluffed a bit. Some symptoms seem a bit more long term, tho, so I'll keep checking for them but for the immediate ones they're doing alright.

Thank you, MommyBird, Mizzely, and sunnysmom. People like you make life 1000x easier.