• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need advice after the loss of my PBFD+ bird

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry for your loss! I too hope you find another bird to love.
When I lost Pogo I was kind of obsessed looking at available birds online. I knew I should wait awhile before getting another bird but didn't know what to do without him. I got Quack 4 weeks later.
I think it is wonderful that you are willing to open your home to another pbfd+ bird! :hug8:

Last edited:

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Just thought I would update this thread:

I haven't found a pbfd+ bird, but I'm still waiting on a couple leads. If I decide to get a negative bird, it will not be for several months and not until I disinfect my house several times over. It will also NOT be a baby bird, as older birds tend to be more resistant to the virus. Even if I don't get a bird, the virus can allegedly live 10 years, so I have a responsibility to remove from my home.

I might have mentioned that I've already disposed of everything my bird came in direct contact with. His cage and toys are gone. I also had laid a plastic matting beneath his cage to make cleaning easier, and I've disposed of that.

I've purchased a large amount of bleach in various forms and f10. I looked into virkon s, but I'm not sure if it's safe to use in a residence and its caustic. Lysol will not kill pbfd. I plan on spraying everything, then wiping, then spraying, then wiping
... I also purchased a steam cleaner and I plan on renting a carpet cleaner to use with f10. I've thrown away my sheets, blankets, and pillows already, and I plan on disposing as many non porous items as possible. Hopefully this will be enough.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't recommend that you wipe on the second spraying. When F10 dries it leaves a residue that is anti-biotic. I don't know if you have central heating/cooling, but don't forget that is you do.

Virkon is caustic and has to be rinsed, so to me that's a non-starter. Your clothes can be washed in F10 - actually I'd put the F10 in during the rinse cycle.

Whatever you decide, positive or negative, I think you will be fine with the cleaning you are planning.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
so sorry for your loss

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I don't recommend that you wipe on the second spraying. When F10 dries it leaves a residue that is anti-biotic. I don't know if you have central heating/cooling, but don't forget that is you do.

Virkon is caustic and has to be rinsed, so to me that's a non-starter. Your clothes can be washed in F10 - actually I'd put the F10 in during the rinse cycle.

Whatever you decide, positive or negative, I think you will be fine with the cleaning you are planning.
That is good to know, thank you.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd check with Ritchie, but I don't know that you're limited to a PBFD+ bird.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

I've been thinking about this lately, how much f10 would you put in a washer?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've been thinking about this lately, how much f10 would you put in a washer?

I don't really know for sure, but it seems to me that 1/4 cup (three tablespoons) in the final rinse would do the job.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I meant that if you can sanitize your house per his advice, there's no reason you couldn't get a bird that's PBFD negative, if you wanted. I think either would be great. :)

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I meant that if you can sanitize your house per his advice, there's no reason you couldn't get a bird that's PBFD negative, if you wanted. I think either would be great. :)
I see... I'm still very torn. I've just been disinfecting or throwing stuff away all day. I replaced all my towels and rugs today. I've gone with all white items so I can bleach them and not worry. But I don't know if I will ever be confident. I plan on cleaning every day with bleach and f10 until at least the end of August. Sometimes i get up in the middle of the night and spray my house because it's the only thing that makes me feel better. I've already used almost 100 ml of f10 in 8 ml increments by just spraying my house. I plan on bleaching the walls, ceiling, tile, and furniture next. I've gotten rid of my air purifier, humidified, fans, and space heater. I am most worried about my clothing and carpet as I cannot afford to replace everything I own

I don't really know for sure, but it seems to me that 1/4 cup (three tablespoons) in the final rinse would do the job.
So 60 ml? I guess I should just buy the liter of f10 instead of getting it in 200 ml increments :/

Aside from bleach and f10, is there any other way I can sanitize my clothing?

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
You must be exhausted both physically and emotionally right now, I hope you are going ok. Re the F10 aeresol diffuser I am in Australia. They dont advertise them online but I contacted a supplier and they told me they sold them. So I think if you phone around hopefully you could find them.

Carpet and upholstery is tricky. I hope you can get some good advise from the infectious diseases doctor mentioned.

:goodluck: