• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need a new dishwasher....

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ours finally died and with as many birds as we have, it must be replaced or I will be doing dishes for the rest of my life. The first thing that I worry about is teflon because they put it in EVERYTHING! So, is this something that I should worry about? Has anyone bought a new dishwasher lately who can give me some tips? Questions to ask the salesperson that can make them think I'm crazy? Any brands I should be looking at?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think noise level is important. With some of them you cant even hear someone speaking when they are funning. Size is another factor, will you have enough room? Also energy use and cycle time could be a factor.

I have a manual dishwasher, my hands.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Unless you are buying an awfully cheap dishwasher most now days are pretty quiet. We bought a Bosch dishwasher and I don’t see anything in it that is Teflon and no smells when we first used it

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I just looked into this in the hopes that my crappy dishwasher would die. Bosch has good reviews. The sales people knew nothing about Teflon. The Bosch tend to have the stainless steel interior.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We bought a Samsung that’s so quiet we can’t hear it . Amazing. It does a great job too.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We bought a Samsung that’s so quiet we can’t hear it . Amazing. It does a great job too.
I have a Samsung too. It is unbelievably quiet. I'm very happy with it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You don't need to be worried about teflon. Even if there is some in there it would need to be heated to around 500 degrees before it starts off gassing. There isn't a dishwasher in the world that gets that hot.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If one did get that hot you'd have more problems then teflon off gassing I'd think...

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I dont believe teflin & dishwashers go together. There is some pretty harsh things in dishwasher detergent & as I understand it, the harsh items can strip the teflon down very quickly on pots & pans (literally a few washes & the glaze atop the teflon is gone. So my guess is you will see steel & enamel in the dishwashers & probably not much else. I can't wait to hear what you end up with!