• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I miss having a reptile in the house.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Years ago, my brother had a Beardie (Bearded Dragon), named Rex. He had gotten him as a birthday present when Rex was just 4 inches long. I'm not sure anybody was prepared for him to grow so quickly. Soon enough, he grew to be almost 2 feet long! But my brother was young, and I'm not sure he was ready for the challenge. So, we ended up giving Rex to our friendly neighbors, who had experience with a lot of pets (reptiles, ferrets, dogs, cats, etc). Soon after that, we found out Rex was a girl, according to her new parents. We felt good giving her to them. They knew Beardies better than we did, and they're very nice people. Rexie lived a nice, long life at their house. And even though she technically wasn't mine, I was still heartbroken when I found out she passed. And now I regret not spending time with her.

Even though I said I didn't really spend time with her, I still remember her well. She was sweet and loved her humans. And now I miss having a mini dino in the house. And like with so many other animals, when I was bored, I took the time to research up on Bearded Dragons. The more I read about them, the more I'm interested in them. Rex has definitely changed the way I look at pet lizards, or any lizard, really.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think you have enough pets my dear.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I think you have enough pets my dear.
Lol, that's true. And I'm extremely grateful for each and every one of them! They are the reasons I love animals as much as I do. I'm also grateful that our parents let us have all of them, of course! :)

Beardies are just amazing companions, and I'd love to bring one in to my home in the future. Definitely not right now. Now that I think of it, I don't even believe I'd have the time to give a Bearded Dragon everything it would need, not right now, at least. And I don't believe my parents would be too happy with having another animal that ate live crickets again!!

For those of you that have Bearded Dragons, please post pictures of them! I love to see adorable pictures of Bearded Dragons.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria

I actually don’t really feed live these days. I feed frozen thawed fuzzy-hopper mice, Rephasy grub pie (gel premix), and fresh foods. I only really feed worms when I grab a container from the reptile show. I rarely order online worms anymore.

Crickets are not the best feeder insect you can find anyway. If you had to go live food do roaches and a variety of worms.

Last edited:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera

I actually don’t really feed live these days. I feed frozen thawed fuzzy-hopper mice, Rephasy grub pie (gel premix), and fresh foods. I only really feed worms when I grab a container from the reptile show. I rarely order online worms anymore.

Crickets are not the best feeder insect you can find anyway. If you had to go live food do roaches and a variety of worms.
Absolutely adorable! :heart: Thanks for the info on the food! However, like I said, I've already got my hands full with all of my other pets and schoolwork, so maybe in the future! I will be sure to remember this info, though.

There is one big really Beardie at a pet store nearby. Whenever we go in (rarely), he is still there. He's the biggest Beardie I've seen! Seriously, when he laid down, he looks like a pancake because he expands so much! I feel so bad for him. It's sad because he is kept in an extremely small tank for such a big guy. It would probably be extremely hard, if not impossible, for him to turn around in the tank. And they usually have a sign on his tank that says ($300 for everything). He has been there for quite a while, and there is no doubt in my mind that he has been there ever since he was a hatchling. Someone probably just never got him and the pet store people are probably just really desperate to get rid of him so they can bring in some more baby Beardies. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had a choice between rats and a beardie for my new friend(s). I miss rats so much and am just better equipped for them right now. And, I already have a leopard gecko who eats dubias and worms. I hate crickets soooo much; I only get them if he's completely off his food when he shouldn't be (winter he usually goes through a brumation period so he eats a lot less naturally).

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm not familiar with any of these, but I did look them up & I think my favorite bits are those adorable bellies! :heart: