1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I met my first pelican last week!

Discussion in 'Bird Watchers Road' started by jeanna, 8/24/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanna

jeanna Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

I probably shouldn't have touched him, but I couldn't help myself. He was sooo cute trying to steal the fish from all the people fishing there. He got a hook in his beak just moments before this video. The fisherman took it out and wouldn't even let him have the fish! :(

4 people like this.
  2. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    Aaawwwww such a cute little pelican. :heart: What a stingy fisherman to not let him keep the fish after getting hooked! :(

3. Chantilly Lace

Chantilly Lace Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Chantel
    Awe, I love pelicans. They fish in the lake behind my house, they drop like a bowling ball into that water. So loud that plunk! My birds all scream when they do this. They fishermen by us feed the pelicans their fish guts and let us watch, it is really fun. I always go to the local oceanside restaurants with docks, they all do this. They feed the guts, free disposals!

4. Birdiemarie

Birdiemarie Feather Snuggler Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Marie
    Wow, he's almost bigger than you, Jeanna! :lol:That was so cool being able to touch him.

5. RebeccaPearce

RebeccaPearce Meeting neighbors

Pelicans are awesome. They are very neat you were lucky to be able to see one up close like that. Their head and neck feathers feel like a fur coat. Were you able to get down to the skin and feel how it crinkles like a stiff plastic bag? They have air sacs between their skin and muscles that make it feel this way.
    Here in California we are having major issues this season with the young brown pelicans. At the bird rescue where I volunteer we normally only see two or three a year. This year so far we have had 16. It’s really sad because they come in cold and starving. :(
    Here’s a link to IBRRC and the hungry pelicans
    International Bird Rescue – Every Bird Matters» Blog Archive » Hungry Pelicans Need a Helping Hand

6. TITANIS

TITANIS Biking along the boulevard

Nice video! :)

7. Shade

Shade Crazy for Pois! Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Natacha
    Love the running at the end :)

8. artgeek09

artgeek09 Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

Jessica Holler
    Wow! Thats so cool that he let you get so close and to touch him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)