• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I met my first pelican last week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I probably shouldn't have touched him, but I couldn't help myself. He was sooo cute trying to steal the fish from all the people fishing there. He got a hook in his beak just moments before this video. The fisherman took it out and wouldn't even let him have the fish! :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Aaawwwww such a cute little pelican. :heart: What a stingy fisherman to not let him keep the fish after getting hooked! :(

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Awe, I love pelicans. They fish in the lake behind my house, they drop like a bowling ball into that water. So loud that plunk! My birds all scream when they do this. They fishermen by us feed the pelicans their fish guts and let us watch, it is really fun. I always go to the local oceanside restaurants with docks, they all do this. They feed the guts, free disposals!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow, he's almost bigger than you, Jeanna! :lol:That was so cool being able to touch him.

RebeccaPearce

Meeting neighbors
Pelicans are awesome. They are very neat you were lucky to be able to see one up close like that. Their head and neck feathers feel like a fur coat. Were you able to get down to the skin and feel how it crinkles like a stiff plastic bag? They have air sacs between their skin and muscles that make it feel this way.
Here in California we are having major issues this season with the young brown pelicans. At the bird rescue where I volunteer we normally only see two or three a year. This year so far we have had 16. It’s really sad because they come in cold and starving. :(
Here’s a link to IBRRC and the hungry pelicans
International Bird Rescue – Every Bird Matters» Blog Archive » Hungry Pelicans Need a Helping Hand

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Love the running at the end :)

artgeek09

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Wow! Thats so cool that he let you get so close and to touch him!

Status
Not open for further replies.