• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I may never use the bird leash I bought.

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
Today as I was cleaning in the kitchen, my Tiel let out loud screams and clearly this was at a noise level never heard before. I knew something going on was really critical. I ran into the living room where their cage is in front of the window, and I saw what looked like a crow flapping its wings excitedly trying to get in. But as I got up to the window, I saw it was a Cooper hawk! That hawk was not taking "NO" for an answer despite the fact that a window stood in the way. Looked like he was trying to figure out how to get in and his body was up against the window with wings flapping. I had to beat on the window before he flew off... even though he clearly saw me. I thought my Budgies and Tiel were going to faint. They took a while to calm down.

It really sunk in how deadly and quickly these birds act and I did not scare him hardly at all. He was only wanting those birds. And the sound of my Tiel screaming in horror will not leave me. I am thankful for this experience because I had a hard headed attitude of.."Well this would never happen with my bird, its too unusual." NOT ANYMORE!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are brazen birds!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's scary. Hope your birds calmed down. One of my neighbors warned me not to put my birds on the balcony because he saw a hawk sitting on the ledge. I haven't put them out their for years but I'm glad that he warned me about that.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:omg:I can’t believe that hawk didn’t fly away when he saw you! How scary for your poor birds.:(

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
:omg:I can’t believe that hawk didn’t fly away when he saw you! How scary for your poor birds.:(
Tiel, my Tiel was nervous all day and at bedtime. I always thought a hawk would be too scared to attack with a human being around but I was wrong. I say all this to let others know as well. I would have been devastated if I had to hear my Tiel being carried away screaming like that. That sound I will never forget. Phoenix knew he was going to be killed till I came running.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's scary. Hope your birds calmed down. One of my neighbors warned me not to put my birds on the balcony because he saw a hawk sitting on the ledge. I haven't put them out their for years but I'm glad that he warned me about that.
"their" should be "there" :wideyed:

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
the problem is that this time of year they are starving to death i'm so sorry that your poor birds were so frightened

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
the problem is that this time of year they are starving to death i'm so sorry that your poor birds were so frightened
I was thinking the hawk had to be starving too. I love all animals and know they are all trying to survive.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Today Phoenix looked nervously out the window where the incident occurred, jabbering, so I put the cage in another room. then later I had him on my shoulder walking around. I stopped at a floor length mirror to take off some poo on my shoulder. It startled Phoenix and he started flapping his feathers which them led him into PTSD incident for lack of a better term..and he started screaming in that same voice as yesterday. He calmed down and went back to normal on my shoulder. Anyone have experience with a trauma incident and how long will he so so sensitive? He did it again in the cage later tonight.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hawks and other birds of prey have br@$$ b@(($,, they're hungry, theres food, I'm gonna try and get it..I'm glad you're babies settled down.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor Pheonix!:( How’s he doing today?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow, I can imagine that was very scary!
On Sunday, there was a dead cat in our street, just in view of where my birds look out the window. I went to get my shovel to pick up poor kitty, and there were two turkey vultures that showed up (leave off here if you're squeamish)...

They disemboweled him. When I went out to pick up the kitty off street, I actually got within 15 feet of them before they flew off. I was hoping they would not attack me before I could scoop up kitty!

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Wow, I can imagine that was very scary!
On Sunday, there was a dead cat in our street, just in view of where my birds look out the window. I went to get my shovel to pick up poor kitty, and there were two turkey vultures that showed up (leave off here if you're squeamish)...

They disemboweled him. When I went out to pick up the kitty off street, I actually got within 15 feet of them before they flew off. I was hoping they would not attack me before I could scoop up kitty!
Did you get the kitty off the street? Were the birds upset? Birds really do see things that sometimes we don't see. Bless you for being so thoughtful.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Did you get the kitty off the street? Were the birds upset? Birds really do see things that sometimes we don't see. Bless you for being so thoughtful.

My shovel was sloped, and so hard to pick up something with that slope ... so a neighbor passed by seeing my struggle and put the poor dead kitty in the grass. Since the ground is so hard here, it would be impossible for me to bury him. :( I think the vultures just wanted the guts... I know it's the chain of life, and they have to eat too... after I came in after watching them, I looked up turkey vultures (aka buzzards), and the info said they probably wouldn't eat a dead dog or cat in the road...: (rather misleading as I had just witnessed this!) ::::>>>::::

Turkey vultures are the only scavenger birds that can't kill their prey. ... Vultures prefer meat as fresh as possible and won't eat extremely rotted carcasses. They can smell carrion less than 12-24 hours old. It turns out that our American turkey vultures aren't interested in our pets at all—or in our kids, either, for that matter. They probably wouldn't even eat a dead dog or cat that's in the road. They prefer to eat herbivores, not carnivores or omnivores—in other words, they eat animals that eat plants, not meat.