1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I made a rash decision and now I need advice

Discussion in 'Special Needs Crossing' started by Nico'sMama, 1/5/19.

1. ncGreyBirdLady

ncGreyBirdLady They call Me crazy like its a bad thing! Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Bonnie
    Do you think he may be feeling better today?What is he eating? Maybe offer him some warm scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes ,sweet or regular.His beak is probably sore and soft foods might be a comfort for him.Can you get hand raising food for him?:hug8:

Hankmacaw, faislaq and zoo mom like this.
  2. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Jogging around the block

Machelle
    You're a saint!

faislaq and Shezbug like this.
  3. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Rhiana
    Thank you so much for rescuing him from such a bad situation. I am going to keep my fingers crossed he gets better :hug8:

Shezbug and faislaq like this.
  4. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    Thank you for helping him and bless that rescue!

His beak is likely from another bird...when I had my fosters, I had several with scarring in a similar pattern. When they fight, they often hook into a nare and drag down. Although his is really bad but maybe it happened early as his beak was developing and it's grown back since the actual injury time.

I would have purchased him and told that breeder that if we were alone, I'd b...slap his #ss for being an awful human being. Just awful to even think something like that.

Please keep us posted.

5. Nico'sMama

Nico'sMama Meeting neighbors

Rebecca
    Sorry everyone I've had a busy couple days. We have named this little guy Mojo and after a few days of warm soft foods and a trip to the vet it's been determined he has an infection which he is getting meds for and they are keeping him until tomorrow just to see how well he eats and drinks and what their other tests say. They have documented all of his injuries which they said must have been done by another bird when he was very young and must've been horribly painful and aboslutely should have been seen by a vet when they occurred. As this is the vet that the OSPCA had asked me to take him to other than the $100 examination I don't have to pay anything. If it comes to light that this bird didn't see a vet when injured the man we got him from will be answering to the authorities. They are also going to visit him to check on the welfare of his other animals as their concern is what may be going on behind closed doors. I had a lengthy discussion with them about how there is still a tendancy of authorities to consider fresh food and water to be adequate care for birds. It's infuriating and quite sad to think of these loving intelligent guys being considered less worthy of protection than say a dog cat or horse but that's something that will take education to combat. For the long term we are going to be keeping an eye on new growth of his beak they trimmed away sharp parts and made sure it was stable. The new growth behind it seems to be coming in somewhat normally and we'll his poor toes they won't be coming back but we've seen him using them almost normally to pick thing up and his clumsiness is probably mostly due to being weak. Thanks for your help and support everyone. I will keep you posted.

6. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Suburb of Chicago.Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
    Sandra
    I can tell you from the 5 Quakers I have, partial toes missing does not affect their movement or slow them down from moving around.

7. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Wendy
    Thank you for giving Mojo a loving home.

faislaq likes this.
  8. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Great outcome at the vet's. If he has just an infection, antibiotics should take care of that. Then he will feel much better.

The care and loving that this bird will get from you , will be the most important in his recovery. He probably thinks he has gone to heaven.

9. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Suburb of Chicago.Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
    Sandra
    I hated it when the "owner" said he'd drown him, it's got to be a slow and sorry death. I don't mean to condone bird killing in any way shape or form, but when my grandmother would buy a chicken at the local dry goods store, the owner broke the chicken's neck.

faislaq and webchirp like this.
  10. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    Awesome news!!!

faislaq and SandraK like this.
  11. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
    Glad he is doing a bit better and glad they are going to check up on that breeder.

faislaq, Mockinbirdiva and SandraK like this.
  12. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Dianne
    Little Mojo is so lucky you found him. Big smiles everyone!

faislaq likes this.
  13. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

That's great news. It's wonderful that Mojo is now being taken care of by you, someone who will give him the love and care he deserves.

faislaq and SandraK like this.
  14. FLmom

FLmom Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Linda
    Oh wow I just read through this post and I was so happy to read that you
    Got lil mojo to the vet and the OSPCA is actually taking some kind of action. What a terrible situation. You are awesome. And a true angel.

fashionfobie, faislaq and SandraK like this.
  15. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Karen
    Fingers crossed they can put this Bozo out of business or at least straighten him out with a few hefty fines and surrenders.

Super glad that Mojo will finally have a chance to recover. Like @Hankmacaw said, the little guy probably thinks he's in heaven. :cloud9:

Shezbug and Lady Jane like this.
  16. MommyBird

MommyBird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Debbie
    love the name Mojo, and I can't be happier that he has found good medical treatment and love.
    I'm so glad someone is giving that brute a look, maybe he will get scared out of the "business"
    Will look forward to updates on all of it!

faislaq, Shezbug and Lady Jane like this.
  17. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    I didn't read through everything but when I saw the beak, my first thought was a possible nasty sinus infection that caused damage to the bed of the beak... and second, possibly injury as already been stated. I hope he gets to feeling better!

fashionfobie and faislaq like this.
  18. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
  19. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Meeting neighbors

Natalie
    @Nico'sMama thinking of Mojo. Let us know how he is :)

ConureTiel and faislaq like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)