• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I made a rash decision and now I need advice

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Do you think he may be feeling better today?What is he eating? Maybe offer him some warm scrambled eggs or mashed potatoes ,sweet or regular.His beak is probably sore and soft foods might be a comfort for him.Can you get hand raising food for him?:hug8:

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
You're a saint!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Thank you so much for rescuing him from such a bad situation. I am going to keep my fingers crossed he gets better :hug8:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thank you for helping him and bless that rescue!

His beak is likely from another bird...when I had my fosters, I had several with scarring in a similar pattern. When they fight, they often hook into a nare and drag down. Although his is really bad but maybe it happened early as his beak was developing and it's grown back since the actual injury time.

I would have purchased him and told that breeder that if we were alone, I'd b...slap his #ss for being an awful human being. Just awful to even think something like that.

Please keep us posted.

Nico'sMama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Sorry everyone I've had a busy couple days. We have named this little guy Mojo and after a few days of warm soft foods and a trip to the vet it's been determined he has an infection which he is getting meds for and they are keeping him until tomorrow just to see how well he eats and drinks and what their other tests say. They have documented all of his injuries which they said must have been done by another bird when he was very young and must've been horribly painful and aboslutely should have been seen by a vet when they occurred. As this is the vet that the OSPCA had asked me to take him to other than the $100 examination I don't have to pay anything. If it comes to light that this bird didn't see a vet when injured the man we got him from will be answering to the authorities. They are also going to visit him to check on the welfare of his other animals as their concern is what may be going on behind closed doors. I had a lengthy discussion with them about how there is still a tendancy of authorities to consider fresh food and water to be adequate care for birds. It's infuriating and quite sad to think of these loving intelligent guys being considered less worthy of protection than say a dog cat or horse but that's something that will take education to combat. For the long term we are going to be keeping an eye on new growth of his beak they trimmed away sharp parts and made sure it was stable. The new growth behind it seems to be coming in somewhat normally and we'll his poor toes they won't be coming back but we've seen him using them almost normally to pick thing up and his clumsiness is probably mostly due to being weak. Thanks for your help and support everyone. I will keep you posted.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Sorry everyone I've had a busy couple days. We have named this little guy Mojo and after a few days of warm soft foods and a trip to the vet it's been determined he has an infection which he is getting meds for and they are keeping him until tomorrow just to see how well he eats and drinks and what their other tests say. They have documented all of his injuries which they said must have been done by another bird when he was very young and must've been horribly painful and aboslutely should have been seen by a vet when they occurred. As this is the vet that the OSPCA had asked me to take him to other than the $100 examination I don't have to pay anything. If it comes to light that this bird didn't see a vet when injured the man we got him from will be answering to the authorities. They are also going to visit him to check on the welfare of his other animals as their concern is what may be going on behind closed doors. I had a lengthy discussion with them about how there is still a tendancy of authorities to consider fresh food and water to be adequate care for birds. It's infuriating and quite sad to think of these loving intelligent guys being considered less worthy of protection than say a dog cat or horse but that's something that will take education to combat. For the long term we are going to be keeping an eye on new growth of his beak they trimmed away sharp parts and made sure it was stable. The new growth behind it seems to be coming in somewhat normally and we'll his poor toes they won't be coming back but we've seen him using them almost normally to pick thing up and his clumsiness is probably mostly due to being weak. Thanks for your help and support everyone. I will keep you posted.
I can tell you from the 5 Quakers I have, partial toes missing does not affect their movement or slow them down from moving around.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you for giving Mojo a loving home.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Great outcome at the vet's. If he has just an infection, antibiotics should take care of that. Then he will feel much better.

The care and loving that this bird will get from you , will be the most important in his recovery. He probably thinks he has gone to heaven.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you for helping him and bless that rescue!

His beak is likely from another bird...when I had my fosters, I had several with scarring in a similar pattern. When they fight, they often hook into a nare and drag down. Although his is really bad but maybe it happened early as his beak was developing and it's grown back since the actual injury time.

I would have purchased him and told that breeder that if we were alone, I'd b...slap his #ss for being an awful human being. Just awful to even think something like that.

Please keep us posted.
I hated it when the "owner" said he'd drown him, it's got to be a slow and sorry death. I don't mean to condone bird killing in any way shape or form, but when my grandmother would buy a chicken at the local dry goods store, the owner broke the chicken's neck.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awesome news!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Glad he is doing a bit better and glad they are going to check up on that breeder.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Little Mojo is so lucky you found him. Big smiles everyone!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great news. It's wonderful that Mojo is now being taken care of by you, someone who will give him the love and care he deserves.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh wow I just read through this post and I was so happy to read that you
Got lil mojo to the vet and the OSPCA is actually taking some kind of action. What a terrible situation. You are awesome. And a true angel.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Fingers crossed they can put this Bozo out of business or at least straighten him out with a few hefty fines and surrenders.

Super glad that Mojo will finally have a chance to recover. Like @Hankmacaw said, the little guy probably thinks he's in heaven. :cloud9:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
love the name Mojo, and I can't be happier that he has found good medical treatment and love.
I'm so glad someone is giving that brute a look, maybe he will get scared out of the "business"
Will look forward to updates on all of it!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I didn't read through everything but when I saw the beak, my first thought was a possible nasty sinus infection that caused damage to the bed of the beak... and second, possibly injury as already been stated. I hope he gets to feeling better!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Nico'sMama thinking of Mojo. Let us know how he is :)

Nico'sMama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Sorry I didn't realize how much interest there would be . Slowly but surely mojo is coming around. He is definitely healthier now but the psychological parts are a bit slower going. He is still so scared of people that most interaction is terror for him but we have discovered a few tricks like very quietly winging to him will get him to come closer to hear it although he knows it will mean contact and he loves his new choices of fruits and veggies and pellets are always available with the junk seed diet he was on he keeps getting caught eating the foods he refused if we are watching. Obviously he just wants to be the boss. It'll take time but he is sweet patient and I'm going to give him lots of love and time
Thanks all
Becky