• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I made a rash decision and now I need advice

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I had a situation that I could not pay the bill and many of my birds got sick from sick birds that were shipped to me. I told the vet that I could no longer afford to bring all my budgies in so they recommended an avian rescue. The rescue got right on it and paid to have my birds saved from all the medical bills. I bet one would do the same for you especially with this situation.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I googled repairing fractured beaks and after a bit of search came up with this page. Yes, the clinic is in California but .... I copied and pasted this information when I clicked on the Veterinary referral and saw they receive referrals from the U.S. and Canada... Read:

Welcome to The BIRD Clinic veterinary referral information page. Our goal is to help you help YOUR avian patients.

Basic guidelines for referrals to The BIRD Clinic:

The BIRD Clinic is an Avian Referral Clinic as well as a general avian practice. We see referral cases from throughout the state as well as special circumstances from throughout the U.S. and Canada. Any case that a referring veterinarian feels is outside the scope of his/her practice knowledge base qualifies as a "Referral Case".

The BIRD Clinic upholds a strict policy of veterinary/client confidentiality, as well as executing procedures only related to the referred condition unless otherwise instructed by the referring veterinarian.

Here is the link to the main page:

Beak Reconstructive Surgery - Bird Vet

I think you should contact them and see what they have to offer and they may even advise of a veterinary clinic or veterinary school in Canada where your little guy can go for treatment. After viewing his photo again it made me think of various species of birds that had the most severe beak injuries repaired. Most notable was a toucan that had half of it's upper beak ripped off... fairly well known and easy to find this on the internet. But focusing on your little one and what came to mind was the process that technicians used to repair great deficits on beaks. I would even be willing to bet they may pay to fly this bird to their clinic to help it out. May not mean you will get him back but... it will have a better life for sure and it should cost you nothing other than tugging at your heart strings for letting it go. You've already been such an angel!!!!! ( We love you for that!)

It's great that it's eating and drinking. This may be an old injury and it's learned to adjust in eating. Try also making some soft foods for it to eat, some cooked grains ( quinoa, brown rice, pearled barley and steam a variety of vegetables to mix in), soften some pellets to add in as well. Someone else may chime in with a better soft diet recipe. My line of thinking is to build his strength up with a good diet and prepare him for what traumatic experience it will be for a beak repair.

Again, God bless you for being such a kind soul. It will all come together, just think positive. One last thing... about a name. Years ago we brought home a standard poodle that ended up having internal birth defects. In the long run after problems with the breeder we decided to keep him and have surgeries done. We chose to call him "Jesse" after researching names and found this to be most fitting because in Hebrew it meant "God exists". Not that we are Hebrew, but the meaning alone fit our boy. Maybe it will fit your quaker?

Nico'sMama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Just seeing that picture of the poor guy! I though you meant his beak was chipped or had a crack on the edge but that's just a million times worse than I imagined. I can't believe anyone could do that to an animal or at least not even help him. :(
Hopefully he'll be alright, but I guarantee you just saved his life from that mad man a the flea market. Poor baby, hopefully his beak can heal correctly. Everyone else has given good advice on the vets, I don't have any advice unfortunately.
I'd have to say I like the name Sage. It makes him seem wise, plus he's a very green little guy. Maybe a name to do with his beak, I can't think of anything else for now.
Thank you again for taking this little one in, even if you don't have the money right now he's surely much better off with you than that disgusting excuse of a person he was with. Thank you for saving him, even though it meant giving up your grocery money, you're an amazing person.:heart:
Thank you. Yeah when I saw his beak I almost cried. My boyfriend was amazed that I paid $350 for an animal I am afraid may die and when he saw him he understood. The poor guy is just ragged feathers, clumbsy ( I read somewhere that sinus injuries and/or illness can cause this) .. Missing part of a toe on each foot (his left foot is worse) and has this beak. I also think he is sick he is lethargic and his eyes seem dull. I just couldn't leave him there to die in misery while two busier birds bit the crap out of him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for saving him from the misery he seems to have been going through. I hope you can work something out for him so he can continue on to have a great life after all he has been through.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you. Yeah when I saw his beak I almost cried. My boyfriend was amazed that I paid $350 for an animal I am afraid may die and when he saw him he understood. The poor guy is just ragged feathers, clumbsy ( I read somewhere that sinus injuries and/or illness can cause this) .. Missing part of a toe on each foot (his left foot is worse) and has this beak. I also think he is sick he is lethargic and his eyes seem dull. I just couldn't leave him there to die in misery while two busier birds bit the crap out of him.
If I were you I would photograph every angle of his injuries from beak to toe. If you can get a weight on him to establish his beginning baseline from your purchase that would be great too. Build a file on this bird, print the photos and any other information including a receipt for your purchase. I believe you should contact your local humane society or organization to prevent this man from further breeding or selling. This is willful neglect. He did not provide any medical care for the severe injuries and threatened to you he drown this bird. He was probably playing on your sympathies but I wouldn't doubt that he would do it. He needs to be out of business. If you can't get decent photos find someone to help you. Documentation is every thing to build a case against this guy. And, if you didn't get a receipt, find him again and ask him to write one for you. You owe him no explanations but if he asks tell him you have folders of information on all your birds and expenses. What ever it takes to get one... especially with his signature on it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It doesn't help that my teenagers want to name him Fugly
Just ask them how they'd like it if someone/a clique at school decided to call one of them that. Animals may not understand the wording but they do understand the tone of a voice. Very much like people.One of my tiels has a split lower beak - she was attacked as a fledgeling by Quakers/gccs. Her sibling died but Paloma survived with a lower beak that was split down to where it grows.

Two avian vets have pretty much said there's nothing that can be done other than to have her lower beak trimmed on a regular basis. Both vets considered gluing her lower beak together but also said that it would be useless since the break is where the beak grows.

So Paloma has her beak trimmed every two weeks and she's doing well.

Last edited:

Nico'sMama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Just ask them how they'd like it if someone/a clique at school decided to call one of them that. Animals may not understand the wording but they do understand the tone of a voice. Very much like people.
My girls actually think Fugly is a cute (although inappropriate) name. They are in love with the little guy already but nope Fugly is not going to be his name. My younger also selected Duck for a name for the ugly duckling ( she loved that story when she was little) she said if he can be saved he will grow to be the most beautiful Quaker parrot in the world so just to clarify they really aren't being mean they are just being teenagers.... I hope Monday gets here soon I am so scared he will die on me before I can get him help. Actually if he is sicker in the morning consequences be damned I will find a vet that will see him.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Just ask them how they'd like it if someone/a clique at school decided to call one of them that. Animals may not understand the wording but they do understand the tone of a voice. Very much like people.One of my tiels has a split lower beak - she was attacked as a fledgeling by Quakers/gccs. Her sibling died but Paloma survived with a lower beak that was split down to where it grows.

Two avian vets have pretty much said there's nothing that can be done other than to have her lower beak trimmed on a regular basis. Both vets considered gluing her lower beak together but also said that it would be useless since the break is where the beak grows.

So Paloma has her beak trimmed every two weeks and she's doing well.
The perfect name for the lone survivor of her clutch!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My girls actually think Fugly is a cute (although inappropriate) name. They are in love with the little guy already but nope Fugly is not going to be his name. My younger also selected Duck for a name for the ugly duckling ( she loved that story when she was little) she said if he can be saved he will grow to be the most beautiful Quaker parrot in the world so just to clarify they really aren't being mean they are just being teenagers.... I hope Monday gets here soon I am so scared he will die on me before I can get him help. Actually if he is sicker in the morning consequences be damned I will find a vet that will see him.
Keep him warm and quiet and away from too much activity.. some good foods. It's so stressful for birds to go into new environments and he's especially vulnerable at this point. Forgot to mention that earlier, and if you already are... great!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
If I were you I would photograph every angle of his injuries from beak to toe. If you can get a weight on him to establish his beginning baseline from your purchase that would be great too. Build a file on this bird, print the photos and any other information including a receipt for your purchase. I believe you should contact your local humane society or organization to prevent this man from further breeding or selling. This is willful neglect. He did not provide any medical care for the severe injuries and threatened to you he drown this bird. He was probably playing on your sympathies but I wouldn't doubt that he would do it. He needs to be out of business. If you can't get decent photos find someone to help you. Documentation is every thing to build a case against this guy. And, if you didn't get a receipt, find him again and ask him to write one for you. You owe him no explanations but if he asks tell him you have folders of information on all your birds and expenses. What ever it takes to get one... especially with his signature on it.
Great idea...

Nico'sMama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Okay everyone I reached out to a local rescue they are going to speak to a vet they know that does house calls and if she is unable to come here I will bring the bird there. They will take on the bill at their rate and let me have six months to pay them back! They also have offered to support me with him with respect to helping train him and get him over this hump. They have also offered to allow me to leave him with them while he is in quarantine and recovering so that I don't have to worry about my other bird in our small place.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
So glad you "bailed " this birdy out. I am glad to hear the rescue is going to help you out.

Good luck little Quaker you deserve it.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thank you for rescuing this little one! I'm so happy you found a rescue that will help with the care needed. There are wonderfully kind people out there.......you being one of the most compassionate! :heart:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Nico'sMama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca
Lol he still doesn't have a name. I think we are all afraid we are going to lose him and to name him will hurt more. I do keep calling him cricket though like someone suggested because he makes a little croak like a cricket or maybe a frog