• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I love my Too ....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So I love my new Too ...we are getting along great the screaming has almost stopped ..he plays and loves cuddles ...he is very energetic ...he is getting better with the play stand ...he eats everything I put in front of him ..loves his baths ...but and this is a huge but the excited biting in the morning is getting to be to much ..my fingers cant take much more ...he loves the morning and wants to come out of his cage right away when it breakfast time ...but thats not what I want ...I just want to get his dish ..clean it and feed him ..so its a fight every morning ..I have tried to let him out for a bit while Im getting his meal ready then put him back but that seems to make it worse then trying to quickly open the cage and grab the dish and close the door ...once I have the food and I open the door for the second time he is more relaxed and doesnt seem to want to reek havoc on my hands ..its just the first time to get the dish ..its like a game to him or something ...Im not sure how to fix this issue ..my poor fingers are all bit up ...I dont react to the bite I just take it when it happens so not to give him any drama but it hurts like he!! ...unfortunately the cage doesnt allow for me to get his dishes out any other way but to open the cage door so I am stuck until he comes out of quarantine ...so what to do ..anyone have any tips ??? :(

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm glad most things are getting better!
Would he step up onto a t stick? Maybe have him step up and use your other hand to get dishes?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Is the dish on the inside of the door itself? If not, maybe that would be the easiest place to get it from. Could you distract him with something on the side of the cage then quickly get the dish?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It sounds like Harley is going to have to be on his play stand before you go into his cage. Is there a reason why you don't want him there when you're doing food preparation? Milton will attack my wife at times when she is bringing new food and water into his cage....then other times, he'll go back into the back of the cage with no problems. It's a nasty little game he plays with her, and on one else.

Unless you block Harley's way over to your hands, distract him, or remove him from the cage area, he will continue to "play the game" of biting your hands...:(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to try and distract him. If you can give him something he likes (he does seem to LOVE food) and he is busy with that then you can grab the dishes. Give him a wrapped treat, a walnut in a shell, something that will keep him busy. You can also stick a toy or treat through the bars away from where you are trying to get the dish if you can reach or above the area where the bowl/s are. One of my red-bellies loves to hold on to his bowls when I am trying to feed him and if I try to take them out he will bite. I generally stick a toy between the bars that he can grip onto instead of my fingers. I do this near the bowl because I can't reach across the cage to the other side to do that. This distracts him and I can remove the bowls.

If something like this doesn't work then you probably need to use a t-stick to take him out of the cage and then let him sit on the play stand while you are cleaning & feeding.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, great that he has quieted down.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
he loves the morning and wants to come out of his cage right away when it breakfast time ...but thats not what I want ...I just want to get his dish ..clean it and feed him
Why can't he come out of his cage and why can't you spend time with him? When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do is get out of bed.

Don't say you don't have time because then you're not making the time.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I agree with everyone and I will try every ones ideas and and yes in the morning its about the time but your right Im not making the time specially when I work ...I have gotten into the routine with my other birds that breakfast is just about feeding and visiting while we eat together while they are in their cage ...but he is in quarantine and I have left him out of our routine because he is in a different room and that is my fault ...so as of tomorrow I am going to get him up and out of his cage before I feed him ...let him hang around for a longer period out of the cage before I try to put him back ...its just I was doing that for a while and he was still biting me when I tried to put him away when his meal was ready ...some one close to me said maybe I should start showing him the rest of the house soon.. just not where the other birds are ..maybe thats part of this anxious behavior in the morning ..like he is not sure where he is waking up and he is a lil scared every morning ... so Ill get up a lil earlier in the morning and spend some time with him and see if that helps ..anything to save my fingers ..its the only time he bites so that tells me Im doing something wrong first thing ... :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i had one of my 2 bite me when i was feeding him i then tried to feed him last he would not bite then i would try first and back off when he tried to bite and tried again latter and then he would let me

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you get up 30 minutes earlier than when you have to start doing "your" thing and spend that special time with him it will make a huge difference. :)

Reasons: It releases a lot of that anxiety they get during the day "waiting" for us. The mornings are the best time to do things like training, bonding whatever. This is the time they are actually calm and compliant. The end of the day is when all the action is and when they get worked up. By making it a consistent routine it will become normal to you and again relieve stress and anxiety.