• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

i just now almost had a heart attack (kayla)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
i was sitting here watching tv when all the sudden i hear a weird sound almost like kissing or sneezing sounds come from kaylas cage :omg:

well i go in to look and kayla wouldnt stop making the sound so i take her out she has her rump up in the air and i felt back there and wam i feel an egg im like oh no she is haven troubles passing it so i have her in hand and rush to get hubby up

and as i get him up i feel my hand get wet now im thinking oh no what now so i look down and half the egg is comming out in my hand at this point i run for the phone and as im headed for the phone to dial i set her on my bed for a moment to look numbers up and wam she lays a bloody egg on my bed and gaurds it with her red headed life

so i was like oh no so i get the vet on the line i thought it was who i called but dummy me didnt relize i called my friend so any way in the middle of all this kayla has now finaly stoped making those sounds of distress and she got so mad at the egg she attacked it

i hadnt even touched or went near it yet what a fire ball she is and now she is acting like nothing ever happen and shes talking so any way she will be watched all night tonight and i will call the vet in the morning to have her checked out any way

sassie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Laura
oh i hope she is ok!!!

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
well she seems to be i put a box in the cage and gave her litter and set her egg in it and she isnt haven any intrest in it at all she is sitting on her boing talking and saying hmmm hello aawww

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Glad she is okay! I once watched one of my female Eclectus lay an egg. Never again. The sounds coming out of her were horrible, so I know exactly what you were going through. The good thing is this: the egg is out.

The bad thing: expect another one in a couple of days.

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Glad she is okay! I once watched one of my female Eclectus lay an egg. Never again. The sounds coming out of her were horrible, so I know exactly what you were going through. The good thing is this: the egg is out.

The bad thing: expect another one in a couple of days.
yeah and that means she is going to have me on edge i was not expecting that at all the sounds scared the crap out of me and her heavy breathing. i was reading that she may lay every 48 hours so im going to be really keeping a good watch on her its a good thing i have her set next to the bed so i will hear her

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
yeah and that means she is going to have me on edge i was not expecting that at all the sounds scared the crap out of me and her heavy breathing. i was reading that she may lay every 48 hours so im going to be really keeping a good watch on her its a good thing i have her set next to the bed so i will hear her
Are you a glutton for punishment? Put in ear plugs!:heart:

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
lol yes i am but i rather know if there ok then ignore it

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
Kathie i agree with keeping her close just to be safe. Just try and get some sleep too. You won't be any help if you don't get some sleep.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Oh gosh... didn't mean to give you the wrong impression. Believe me - I was right there with Ruby the entire time. Can I tell you that I spent the ENTIRE day making sure Ruby was okay after that? It is the most dreadful sound you would ever want to hear. I honestly didn't think she was going to make it.

My suggestion about the ear plugs was in jest.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Oh my goodness! I'm glad your girl is ok! :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hope she is ok dear.....:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Suppose they are doing what comes naturally in the end! The only thing I can suggest is her diet has enough of the right ingredients to give her a strong egg shell? They do sometimes need some help in that direction.
Hope she is OK now and you have had a nice strong cup of coffee to help your nerves! Thank goodness you were there at the time and could see she coped in the end. Good luck if there should be anymore!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh Gosh.... I remember Kita's 1st egg ..... it is a terrifying experience. I didn't know what was happening and I posted here in the 911 all frantic..... it does take some hours off your life!!!!

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Keep her warm and quiet and don't remove the egg/s for at least 30 days even if she doesn't seem interested because she'll lay more to replace them.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I remember when Amigo, B&G, laid her first egg (up to that time we thought she was a he) I had noticed that she wasn't really acting right a couple of days before and had brought her down to the bed room and put her in a hospital cage in our bed room...I had gone to bed and just about asleep when the I heard the most awful noises...didn't know where they were coming from at first...finally looked over at her cage and it looked like she had her head caught under the front perch (she was on the floor of the cage with her head under the perch moving the head back / forth and GROANING!!!! I mean full wailing GROANS...by that time Poppa had come into the room and turned the light on and we both were at her cage opening the door and pushing her head back (plenty of room!) I got her to step up...she was all fluffed, Poppa was then putting her into his arms because that is where she was trying to get to...he is holding her and I see an egg coming out and catch it or it would have hit his foot!
Yes, it was bloody (first eggs usually are)....she was fine afterwards...put her back into the cage a little later with the egg and went back to bed...
Next day she was fine...she laid another egg 50 hours later and never laid another one...she wasn't interested in sitting the eggs at all and I removed them...put her back in her reg. cage...never laid another egg...ate like a horse the next day also!:hug8:

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Oh gosh... didn't mean to give you the wrong impression. Believe me - I was right there with Ruby the entire time. Can I tell you that I spent the ENTIRE day making sure Ruby was okay after that? It is the most dreadful sound you would ever want to hear. I honestly didn't think she was going to make it.

My suggestion about the ear plugs was in jest.
you didnt give me the wrong impression
i knew what you ment :)

Suppose they are doing what comes naturally in the end! The only thing I can suggest is her diet has enough of the right ingredients to give her a strong egg shell? They do sometimes need some help in that direction.
Hope she is OK now and you have had a nice strong cup of coffee to help your nerves! Thank goodness you were there at the time and could see she coped in the end. Good luck if there should be anymore!
she has a good diet and trust me she gets plenty of cal and good veggies and fruits her egg was firm and hard . she is doing very well this am

Oh Gosh.... I remember Kita's 1st egg ..... it is a terrifying experience. I didn't know what was happening and I posted here in the 911 all frantic..... it does take some hours off your life!!!!
yeah it does take hours of your life i woke up this am feeling like i had a hang over lol and i dont even drink

Keep her warm and quiet and don't remove the egg/s for at least 30 days even if she doesn't seem interested because she'll lay more to replace them.

Ginger
i put the egg in a box with litter and pushed it in the bottem of the cage last night with her in it and once in the cage she took off to the top and started chatter talking most of the night like nothing ever happen

I remember when Amigo, B&G, laid her first egg (up to that time we thought she was a he) I had noticed that she wasn't really acting right a couple of days before and had brought her down to the bed room and put her in a hospital cage in our bed room...I had gone to bed and just about asleep when the I heard the most awful noises...didn't know where they were coming from at first...finally looked over at her cage and it looked like she had her head caught under the front perch (she was on the floor of the cage with her head under the perch moving the head back / forth and GROANING!!!! I mean full wailing GROANS...by that time Poppa had come into the room and turned the light on and we both were at her cage opening the door and pushing her head back (plenty of room!) I got her to step up...she was all fluffed, Poppa was then putting her into his arms because that is where she was trying to get to...he is holding her and I see an egg coming out and catch it or it would have hit his foot!
Yes, it was bloody (first eggs usually are)....she was fine afterwards...put her back into the cage a little later with the egg and went back to bed...
Next day she was fine...she laid another egg 50 hours later and never laid another one...she wasn't interested in sitting the eggs at all and I removed them...put her back in her reg. cage...never laid another egg...ate like a horse the next day also!:hug8:
im just glad she is ok ive watched my love bird lay eggs but she never made the sounds of some one dying lol so this was kinda scarey to hear weird sounds but im glad she is ok she is acting like nothing ever happen and shes right now saying hello and bobbing wanting her breakfest so im off to go get it for her

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh scary,so glad that she is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.