• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I just know I'm doing everything wrong

Conurekids

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi:) Please don't judge too harshly because my intentions were/are so great for my babies big and small. Last summer, I lost my beloved cockatiel and I was completely wrecked. A few months later my husband let me know that a very sick friend of ours needed to rehome a very bonded pair of male green cheek conures and asked if I wanted to take them. Why, yes!!! As time went by it became apparent to me that they probably weren't both male. They were pretty affectionate and it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what was up. Then "Charlie" started laying eggs. In my ignorance I put in a nesting box. I didn't know what to do. (I should have came here :/) Now we have 4 very healthy babies. They've been raised by their parents exclusively and while the parents are totally cool with the fact I've been handling them in short spurts, the oldest (who just turned four weeks yesterday) seems very not cool with being handled. The other 3,who each hatched about a week apart after that, are doing well. Loving a bit of cuddles. But the oldest, Augustus, isn't liking it much. I've planned on keeping one, with excited family members in wait to adopt the others but is it too late for Augustus? Should I pull them all and begin the weaning process? This will obviously be their only clutch. It was unexpected and I was ignorant. I am willing to keep all four, if I have to...if I've messed everything up...I just can't be sure. I really need help. I want to do right by these babies but I need advice on how to proceed for them to have their best lives possible.

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
If the parents have taken good care of them, I would not suggest pulling them. They will wean on their own, and you don't want to hand feed now. If you continue to handle them several times a day, they will be fine as pets. After they wean, separate them from the parents and continue to handle them daily. Keep in mind that they will wean at different times, so don't separate all because you see one is weaned.

Conurekids

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much for your reply and great advice. The parents are really doing a fabulous job with them and they are healthy, happy little pipqueaks. I will continue letting the parents parent and will enjoy every minute of spending time handling them. Again, thank you very much!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You can get dummy eggs for next time from dummyeggs.com. Enjoy these wee ones!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on the babies. Continue to handle them. As advised in previous post, don't pull them since they are doing well w/ mom & dad. Every bird has his/her own personality and Augustus may or may not come around and be friendly but don't give up.
Also, post some photos when you get a chance.