• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I haven't posted for a while

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
and no one understands. I'll post here and I know I'll be ripped up for being so stupid. But I don't care. I keep bursting into tears at work. I just feel so stupid.

I had two Linnies. Arnold and Sebastian. I received them about a year ago.

I tried to spoil them. I bought them a nice cage, then decided my boys deserved a mansion. I bought them a much larger home.

I had so many toys in there for them.

One thing I'd purchased for my boys is a stupid cloth bed that hangs down. Arnold LOVED that damn thing. He initially would share it with Sebastian. Then he kicked him out and the hubby and and I joked about how protective Arnold was of his hanging bedroom.
My husband works from home. His home office is shared with Arnold and Sebastian. He texted me when I was at work that he thought Arnold was dead.

My little man had made a window on the opposite side of that cursed bed, and apparently tried to climb in to go to bed. His little neck got caught in thread. He panicked and snapped his neck.

I keep crying, sobbing. I'm so stupid for letting him have that. I feel really bad for everyone, my kids ((we're burying him this weekend, my son says I need to get him a stone with his name on it).

But mostly I worry about Sebastian. Now he's alone in that big cage.

I've been to the only bird specialty store in my state. They haven't seen Linnies in at least a year. They said I can't even get him a budgie as a friend. Can't house him with any other bird than a Linnie. But, unless I have a minimum of $500 (cost of bird, DNA, shipping) to spend I won't find a companion for Sebastian.

My husband works from home every other week. On those off weeks, I thought of having a talk show radio in all day. I also put a mirror in his cage, which he seems to like.

I'm worried about him. He's louder now. More vocal. This has been so bad.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Looking at my profile pic. Arnold is the green guy on the rope. I really loved him. He was the people oriented one. Would greet us with kisses. It's so horrible.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you, Louise

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so, so sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

In regards to getting another bird, I think it is important to give yourself some time to mourn... I would make sure that the family gives Sebastian some extra love and attention. I think that, whenever you are ready for another bird, another linnie would be best, of course, but you'll probably need a second cage for him anyway. You want to make sure he and Sebastian get along before they move in together, if they ever do. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself here...

Again, I am so, so sorry for your loss. :(

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks Cary. My daughter and I make sure we spend extra time with Sebastian. He likes Katy Perry music and my daughter likes to dance for him.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
Sounds dumb but he gets so excited.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please don't tear yourself up over this. Use it to go forward and warn other bird owners. Linnies adore burrowing into soft places.

Here is a link. Top of page click on About Us and the first item is a list of linnie breeders who have the welfare of the species in mind. Also look for the article on Being Green. About Lineolated Parakeet Society. Most of these breeders ship a bird safely. Most likely you will be on a wait list because they do not breed all year long.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I'm sorry for your loss.
Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes we do things for our fids to make them happy more than for their safety.
In time the right linnie will come along. You will know it.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How sad for all of you. :sadhug: I am glad you are able to finally talk about it, it will help some. Hindsight will make you crazy, but you could not have done more than you did because you did not know that might happen or you would have done differently. You are only guilty of doing your best to make them happy.

I agree with @Chopper the right linnie will come along when it's time and that is a wonderful link @Lady Jane found. :)

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Where are you located? I have a breeder pair of linnies who should be laying in the next couple days. I'm in Baltimore.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I am so very sorry! Who can know what toys others have will be so unsafe for ours. This can and does happen a lot, I would imagine. I am hoping and praying you are not beating yourself up too badly. In the meantime, we are grieving with you.