• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have flighted birds, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
they don't really like to "fly around" like I see some of your birds do. Chevelle's flights have yet to grow in, so I'm not sure what she will do. Moe and the tiels...when they get out, they will fly to one spot, and sit there until I come get them. They have no interest in checking out other things, or flying to me really. Is there any way to encourage this?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Mine are all flighted but the only ones that like to fly are Maya, B&C and Max. THe others just hang out and climb!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Mine are all flighted too...the only one interested in flying around is Sam...she flies for the sheer joy of it...the others watch her and t hey do n ot follow suit..Mitch flies around only once in a iSam is t he jet.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you have any other "enticing" landing stations up high in any other areas?

If you keep them up high they can swoop down and fly "up" to the next one. All birds use gravity for acceleration and braking. Show them the route and visit them often.

If they will sit on your arm, once they know the stations you can start shooing them off your arm when you start to get close. Slowly you increase the distance and in time you can just shoo them and they will head for a station.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
Hmm..I have a couple of different spots they all like to land, and beams and high ceilings. They just don't seem to be able to figure out they can get from point a to point b unless spooked or encouraged. I will try to work with them on it a bit.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Part of them being reluctant to fly much could just be that they aren't confident enough too do crazy fly times yet. If they haven't been flighted for very long (or they haven't flown much), they essentially have to learn everything about flight; taking off, manoeuvring midair, guaging placement of objects while they're flying, how fast they can/should fly, finding appropriate places to land, guaging landings and actually landing, etc. It can take a while!

Chewy has been flighted for over two years and she is nowhere close to a pro at flying. She used to learn how to land in one spot at a time (ie- when she was first learning to fly, she would only land on top of her PVC gym. Then it was a lower perch on the gym. Etc.), but she is now just starting to land in spots she never has in the past. This evening she couldn't find a good flightpath from her playstand to me, so she flew and landed on top of my laptop screen instead. That was a first, and such a big step for her!

I found with her, recall training was the key to encouraging flight. She always wants to be with me! But it took weeks of training to even get her to fly a very short distance to my arm, that's how unconfident she was. She has come a long way and will now recall across a whole room, as long as she feels comfortable in that room and there are no distractors. Some birds just take longer to learn flight than others!

Status
Not open for further replies.