• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have decided

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
I finally decided on getting a parrotlet. Their personalities are the main reason. I found a local lady who has 2 blue parrotlets for sale. This is her first time ever breeding birds. She pulled them at 3 wks and started hand feeding. They are 5 wks now and, of course, still hand feeding. My cage is 32x21x61. She has 2 males. Should I get them both and keep them together or just get one? I know they get territorial, but does this extend to bonded siblings? I only have one cage. What kind of seeds and/ or pellets do you feed your parrotlets? I want everything ready and perfect. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
So exciting!!! Can't wait to see pictures of your new babies.

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
you can keep them together when they are young, but when they get older they might need their own territory.
I have a male and female living in large double cage (montana madeira double), they are seperated during the day, when i get home from work i take the devider out so they can preen and sleep together during the evening/night, next morning i place the devider back. they also have out of cage time together.
they have a love/hate relationship. can't be with or without the other for too long, this works perfect.

I feed mine a varied diet: mash (cooked grains/pulses, all kinds of veggies and some fruits), sprouted seeds, grains and pulses, and Top pellets and a organic dry seed mix.

both birds are tame and can do some tricks, so it is perfectly possible to have two tame birds at the sime time, it will only cost you extra time because both will need your attention.
they have eachothers company when we are gone during work days.

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
If you don't have 4-5 hours of time to dedicate to a single bird every day I'd definitely start with the pair. It's true that they may be compatible cage mates in the long run but they should still enjoy each other's ambient attention. I've heard too many horror stories of single p'lets becoming little screaming, plucking monsters because people don't realize they are SMART and rambunctious and needs as much socialization as some of the larger birds.

If you do decide to go with two birds you WILL have to get another cage. A small, cheap, temporary one is fine to have on hand in case the two need to be separated. Again, they may never have issue being caged together. But you just don't want to be caught unprepared.

I agree with Vera that getting them started on a varied diet (especially when young) is best. Our little piggies get some sort of cooked food mix, sprouted seed, pellets, and a veggies chop each day. Some good pelleted brands are Zupreem, Roudybush, Harrison's, and Tropican (our boys always loved Roudybush the best). Sprout People makes some good sprouting mixes for birds, but the Volkman Parrotlet Blend and Dr. Harvey's parakeet or cockatiel mixes are also good. Of course, when your new babies come home it will be good to provide them with plenty of millet while they settle in. :)

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
you can keep them together when they are young, but when they get older they might need their own territory.
I have a male and female living in large double cage (montana madeira double), they are seperated during the day, when i get home from work i take the devider out so they can preen and sleep together during the evening/night, next morning i place the devider back. they also have out of cage time together.
they have a love/hate relationship. can't be with or without the other for too long, this works perfect.

I feed mine a varied diet: mash (cooked grains/pulses, all kinds of veggies and some fruits), sprouted seeds, grains and pulses, and Top pellets and a organic dry seed mix.

both birds are tame and can do some tricks, so it is perfectly possible to have two tame birds at the sime time, it will only cost you extra time because both will need your attention.
they have eachothers company when we are gone during work days.

I love that. Sounds like the perfect plan for such happy birdies. I love parrotlets and may get one one day but I also dream of a grey so :swoon: one day.......