• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a situation with Jersey my Caique...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cory
I have a veterinary appointment booked for Jersey my White Bellied Caique tomorrow morning at 10:00am. Something may not be right but I’m really hoping that there isn’t anything serious going on. I’ll give you all of the information I have so that maybe you can give me some input. :)

Jersey's History

Jersey was hatched in March 2007 so he is almost 3 years old. He’s had “wellness testing” and “disease testing” done by his previous guardians, which came back “normal” and negative. I adopted Jersey at the beginning of November 2009. I didn’t have a “new bird” exam performed because he is young and had just recently had several test performed. I normally do, but I arranged to adopt Jersey right before one of my Lovebirds Jalen was hospitalized for a week and then passed away (due to nothing contagious). I am in a really bad financial situation because of that which is why I decided to wait on the tests.

Jersey has stress bars on his feathers and a few black patches on his feathers. The previous guardians fed him a diet of mainly a mix of different pellets and some fresh fruits and vegetables. I’ve been feeding him an all organic and well balanced diet of sprouted or cooked grains and legumes, a wide variety of vegetables, a wide variety of fruits, some seeds and nuts, and some Harrison’s pellets. If he has a deficiency, this diet should be treating it.

There are only two signs that I’ve noticed that makes me thing that there could be something wrong.

1. Weight loss.

Jersey’s Recent Weights:

December 13, 2009: 160 grams.
January 2, 2010: 150 grams (I think, I could have gotten this one wrong).
January 7, 2009: 140 grams.

That means that Jersey has lost 6.25% of his body weight in the past five days and a total of 12.5% of his body weight since December 13. :(

2. Fluffed feathers.

Jersey’s head and some feathers on his chest and shoulders were fluffed today. I saw him shivering at one point. :(

Additional Information

There are no other signs of illness that I’ve noticed. He’s active, eating, defecating, etc. That is, unless I’m just not noticing anything else. None of my other birds are showing any signs of illness. I've done disease testing on a couple of my birds for the three major diseases at the beginning of November as well and all came back negative. I've maintained a "closed aviary" since then. No birds have gone to parrot club meetings or have been near other birds, and if I am I strip down right at the front door, disinfect my clothes in the laundry, and just in the shower. I doubt there's anything contagious going on, but it's of course possible.

I'm trying to think of if there's anything else I should mention.....

I gave him some seeds and nuts to give him some extra energy.

Should I quarantine him immediately or can I wait until after the vet visit tomorrow morning. IF he were to have something contagious the other birds would already be exposed and I really fear that separating him tonight would make him stressed out. :( What do you think?

DutchHillAviary

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
He does seem a bit underwight (avg is 165g for WBC). Keep him nice and warm until you get to the vets. I wouldn't move him...no need to stress him out and IF it something the other birds could catch, its probably to late anyhow. Hope it goes well tomorrow.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cory, it definitely sounds like Jersey is not feeling well. The weight loss is a rea concern. I'm glad you have a vet appointment. I would not stress him by moving him right now. All the other birds have been exposed to him already. You definitely want to get some heat on him. Cover three sides of his cage and put a light on him till the vet sees him. You don't comment about his appetite or how his poop looks.
Is there any undigested food in his poop? Is there lots of fluids or diarhea. He could be dehydrated.
I wish you luck and you both are in my thoughts. Please let us know how he does at the vets.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
He does seem a bit underwight (avg is 165g for WBC). Keep him nice and warm until you get to the vets. I wouldn't move him...no need to stress him out and IF it something the other birds could catch, its probably to late anyhow. Hope it goes well tomorrow.
Yeah, I believe his normal weight is around 160 grams. Thank you for your advice. :)

Cory, it definitely sounds like Jersey is not feeling well. The weight loss is a rea concern. I'm glad you have a vet appointment. I would not stress him by moving him right now. All the other birds have been exposed to him already. You definitely want to get some heat on him. Cover three sides of his cage and put a light on him till the vet sees him. You don't comment about his appetite or how his poop looks.
Is there any undigested food in his poop? Is there lots of fluids or diarhea. He could be dehydrated.
I wish you luck and you both are in my thoughts. Please let us know how he does at the vets.
I starting to feel worried now. I was staying calm but now I'm anxious. :( I have some large fleece blankets that I recently bought. I'll cover three sides now with them. When I put the birds to sleep I'll cover most of the cage with them.

His appetite *seems* normal. His poops appear normal. No diarrhea. No undigested food. His behaviour seems normal, however I've only had him for a couple of months so I don't know him THAT well. I just gave him a bunch almonds and sunflower seeds to get some high - energy food into him. He's loving that! I'm going to offer him some water or juice in a syringe now so that at least I can make sure that I physically see him drink something.

Thank you for your input! :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I agree with everyone else, wait to move him until after the vet visit if the vet thinks that it should be done. That weight loss in a real concern.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
You might try cooking him some pasta to help with his weight. That or seeds. I perfer pasta for Aros who is 59 grams and a little underweight. He seems to like the texture better anyhow.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
You might try cooking him some pasta to help with his weight. That or seeds. I perfer pasta for Aros who is 59 grams and a little underweight. He seems to like the texture better anyhow.
I have some whole wheat pasta in the fridge right now. Great idea. I'm going to go offer him some. He's already eaten a lot of seeds and nuts! Thank you! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
From what you have said Jersey doesn't seem quite right and it's great you have a vet appointment tomorrow.

Be sure you point out the dark patches of feathers to the vet. This is sometimes, I repeat sometimes, an indication of liver issues. Also, if you can get a good look at fresh poop try to see if the urates are yellowish or the urine yellow or lime green. If so, tell your vet.

Good luck at the vet's.
ML

Cory

Real Name
Cory
From what you have said Jersey doesn't seem quite right and it's great you have a vet appointment tomorrow.

Be sure you point out the dark patches of feathers to the vet. This is sometimes, I repeat sometimes, an indication of liver issues. Also, if you can get a good look at fresh poop try to see if the urates are yellowish or the urine yellow or lime green. If so, tell your vet.

Good luck at the vet's.
ML
I'll definitely point that out. His urates look normal to me but I'll bring some fecal samples with me tomorrow so that my vet can have a better look at them. Thank you for your help! :)

My poor baby!!! :( I'm sleeping on the floor next to his cage tonight because I'm so worried now. :( I'll definitely keep you all posted on everything. I really appreciate all of your comments! :)

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I hope Jersey is okay. He will be in my prayers. Please do let us know how the vet visit goes!:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Have nothing more to add other than I'm thinking positive thoughts for Jersey. Hope the vet visit goes well and Jersey returns to normal weight.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.