• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I have a plucker :(

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
For those of you who aren't aware, I am a college student. I have classes Monday through Friday. However, someone is ALWAYS home with Zazu and she has some type of interaction through the day.

I left this morning to a normal, fully feathered bird. She remained that way through the day, my mom reported she ate her lunch as usual and was fine. She went outside with my siblings (they're on break) after lunch around 1:00, I returned home around 3:45. I walked in the house to find feathers on the floor which I found odd. I called Zazu over and I came home to a half naked bird. Yes, she plucked her feathers out within 3 hours.

I noticed lots of preening days leading up to this so I thought MAYBE she's going through a crazy molt. I consulted google, Reddit and AA... all pointed to no this isn't a typical molt. Thanks guys! I gave her avian vet a call directly after this. I was speaking to the dumb receptionist who refused to help or squeeze me in this evening because she said they closed in 45 minutes KNOWING they're an animal hospital who take emergencies!!!!! She also said, something sounds wrong! I will be having a talk with the vet at our follow up, ridiculous depending on his response to that, we may be changing vets.

After getting the run around with different practices along with different hospitals, I finally found one who said yes, bring her in asap after hearing what was going on. I arrived and the doctor who unfortunately was not an avian vet, was very thourough. She noticed her poop looked a bit dry, but her appearance and body didn't show she was dehydrated. She did a head to toe exam but didn't find anything very alarming other than some sensitivity where she was plucking. She did a skin tape test and looked under the microscope for infection or parasites (our fingers were crossed for parasites) sadly, nothing.

She was asking about her daily routine, environmental changes.. nothing. Nothing that she hasn't been exposed to before. Ultimately, she didn't have an answer as to why this was happening.

So, she is treating her symptoms. Zazu was given fluids into both of her legs. An anti-inflammatory/sedative which she has two more doses of. Shots of vitamins AE&D. As well as a topical cream. We were told to subtlety try changing her position in a room, toys and we were given a different food samples. We are going to follow up with our regular vet in about 5 days unless she becomes worse.

There is some relief that she is okay but, I'm not exactly prepared to deal with a plucker. Any advise?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Foraging for food and toys might help Zazu keep busy and engaged.
This is a good video to watch.
Captive Foraging DVD

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
My first instinct says you should still try to take her in to a certified avian vet tomorrow or soon.

She should get a fecal and throat swab and perhaps a blood test too. She may have some kind of infection or something causing stomach discomfort (where she's plucking)

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
My first instinct says you should still try to take her in to a certified avian vet tomorrow or soon.

She should get a fecal and throat swab and perhaps a blood test too. She may have some kind of infection or something causing stomach discomfort (where she's plucking)
I'll keep a close eye on her for the next 24-36 hours. I'm hoping for some improvement tomorrow. However, she will be seen sooner if necessary. She did a very extensive exam of her crop and surrounding area. Nothing really stuck out. Everything felt normal. She explained she is not a certified avian vet but, she sees several cases per day ranging from general issues to critical care.

Edit: she brought up the possibilities of having to do further full battery tests but she explained that nothing clinically would tell her yes, we need to do tests there is a medical condition causing this.

Last edited:

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
My poor girl, I feel as if I did something completely wrong to cause this.

Attachments

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Get her tested for avian specific diseases if you can. I doubted my IRN had PBFD but I had her tested anyway for peace of mind and x-rays. Testing for Chlamydia and Giardia isn't a bad idea. It's not the end of the world to have a parrot without feathers and doesn't make you a bad parrot owner by default. Make sure it's not health related and see what you can do to prevent it from hopefully happening in the future if it's not health related. It can be caused by many different factors, sometimes the reason is easier to diagnose than others.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I also think a visit to an avian vet as soon as possible is a good idea.

nm0710

Real Name
Nicole
Get her tested for avian specific diseases if you can. I doubted my IRN had PBFD but I had her tested anyway for peace of mind and x-rays. Testing for Chlamydia and Giardia isn't a bad idea. It's not the end of the world to have a parrot without feathers and doesn't make you a bad parrot owner by default. Make sure it's not health related and see what you can do to prevent it from hopefully happening in the future if it's not health related. It can be caused by many different factors, sometimes the reason is easier to diagnose than others.

The only thing concerning about running a full battery is, they said they'll need to put her to sleep to do it and they really wanted to avoid that due to her small size and the chance of her not waking back up. When we follow up with our normal vet, who is avian certified, we will discuss if testing is a good idea along with what tests should be done.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Well, there are a million things that can trigger plucking and barbering, but ruling out disease is a good call.
Otherwise, the changes I would make are a heat lamp, a UV lamp, tons and tons of foraging and destructible toys, make sure there haven't been any new additions to the room, like furniture or anything, really, that are within eyeshot of the Zazu's cage. Some birds get upset by random things and barber or pluck.
If you don't have one already, consider a sleep cage. It made a ton of difference in my bird's feather destruction and disposition.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Well, there are a million things that can trigger plucking and barbering, but ruling out disease is a good call.
Otherwise, the changes I would make are a heat lamp, a UV lamp, tons and tons of foraging and destructible toys, make sure there haven't been any new additions to the room, like furniture or anything, really, that are within eyeshot of the Zazu's cage. Some birds get upset by random things and barber or pluck.
If you don't have one already, consider a sleep cage. It made a ton of difference in my bird's feather destruction and disposition.
Indeed. One of me vet's client had a parrot that started plucking after they bought a new clock. Go figure. Some do better with change than others.