• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"I have macaws and I don't post enough photos."

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry to change the topic. A micro bat just crashed into the wall here and seems disoriented and not well. I know they are very fragile and I have no idea how to help it without causing it more problems. I also don’t know how to navigate this forum well on my phone. Sorry I am panicking a bit here.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
What happens if a bat touches you?
In addition, people cannot get rabies from having contact with bat guano (feces), blood, or urine or from touching a bat on its fur (even though bats should never be handled). However, if you are bitten by a bat, or if saliva from a bat gets into your eyes, nose or mouth, seek medical attention immediately.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Trapped indoors

This happens when windows or doors are left open, or for any other reason a microbat finds itself trapped inside a house or shed. It may be days before the bats are eventually noticed. A rescuer will usually need to rehydrate and feed the bats for up to several days prior to release. Sometimes microbats will colonise unused chimneys and surprise a homeowner who lights a fire underneath them! They become disorientated and may come down into the house itself, requiring capture and relocation outdoors.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you so much. I managed to find a number and wake some poor lady up who told me what to do. I was just ready to pop him in the container so the dog didn’t get him and before I got to him he stretched and looked around and happily flew off. He looked fine but very dazed. I was so worried the dogs would find him. Phew. My crisis is over. Thank you for your help.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow you are fast! I really appreciate your support. I was told not to touch it because I won’t be vaccinated but I would have had to keep him safe from the dogs. It has happened a few times but the dogs always squish them trying to investigate them so I wanted to move him to safety. Once I retrieved one from the dog and it was fine and took off as soon as I let him go. I am not even sure how sick they can make you.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love bats but have never heard of micro bats! When we get a house I've already asked hubby if we can put up bat boxes; he hasn't said no so I'm taking it as a yes. ;)

@Shezbug @metalstitcher You guys make one heck of a team! I'm glad the little fella is okay. :xflove:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry for hijacking your thread for a few minutes @faislaq. Thought I was gonna have a melt down on my own because I couldn’t find anything on google ( I was probably not looking for the right info in my state of panic) till I thought of wildlife rescue. Amazing enough there is a micro bat rescue place so I called them and woke some poor lady up.

The bat boxes sound like a cool idea. You and your hubby are such caring people. We get a few different sorts of bats but the micro bats are my favourite. They really are tiny and fragile. They have the most beautiful little faces.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No worries, I learned something and the little guy is alive. Can't ask for more than that! You even posted a photo as this thread requires. :p

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I didn't know that they where dangerous to hold.
One evening I find one on the wall in my working place. Everybody did freake out so I just took it in my hands and release it outside.
That was both for the love I feel for all animals and for showing them that wild animal isn't dangerous and nothing to freak out about.
I remember that they all yelled rabies. LoL!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
He is so adorable!!!! :heart:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Omg his colors are stunning !! I love this picture of him - it’s adorable and he’s so beautiful- yellow turquoise green wow ... and a sweet heart too! I saved this pic but plz tell me if u want me to delete it. He’s gorgeous. 2E02109A-3914-49C1-B51D-04561930C61E.jpeg