• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I guess I’ve got a new little one.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Lately I’ve been trying to take in as much hermit crab care information as possible, and now I think I’m going to be taking care of my brother’s now lone hermit crab, Jorge. Two weeks ago Jorge’s buddy, Newt, passed away. My brother has never really shown much interest in his hermit crabs, and I very much regret not taking action till now. But I talked with my brother about how he currently felt about Jorge. I asked him if he likes and wants Jorge. He said he likes Jorge, but didn’t want to have to get him another friend because he didn’t want to care for another one. I told him that I would be happy to take over the care of Jorge and any future crabs if he really didn’t feel up to it anymore. He told me that if I wanted, I could take care of Jorge and move his tank into my room.

So, going based off that short conversation, I’ll be taking care of Jorge from now on. Tomorrow I’m going to clean out his tank and add some new stuff in. Next time we go to the pet store I’ll grab a few things for him. I’d also like to give him a tank upgrade soon, especially if I’m going to be getting him a friend or two (hermit crabs are social critters and shouldn’t be kept alone). I’ve also got to get him on a new diet as soon as possible, so I’ll be working on that.

I’m completely prepared for the rest of my family to say Jorge is “just a crab,” whenever I start trying to give him new stuff he hasn’t had before. But I don’t care. I’m now completely committed to giving this guy a better life.

I would post a picture of Jorge, but he’s a shy guy. Maybe one day when he’s more comfortable. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay, congratulations on making the talk with your brother go so well for Jorge. You are such a caring person :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That is so very sweet of you! I'm sure Jorge will be brave enough to show his appreciation very soon! ;)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Yay, congratulations on making the talk with your brother go so well for Jorge. You are such a caring person :)

Thank you. :heart: I am very glad it went well and I can’t wait to start preparing Jorge’s new tank. :)

That is so very sweet of you! I'm sure Jorge will be brave enough to show his appreciation very soon! ;)

Thank you. :heart: I really do hope he will start to come out of his shell a little more. :D It probably doesn’t help that he’s missing his friend. Once he starts getting better care I’m definitely going to consider bringing home a crab or two for company.

I’ll admit 2 or 3 years ago when my brother wanted hermit crabs, I didn’t understand why. Whenever we saw them at the pet store, they always just seemed to sit around in their shells all day. But I’ve learned so much about them now and have fallen in love with them. They really are cute little creatures and are great company, even if they aren’t the kind of pet to love interacting with their owner outside of the tank. :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thank you. :heart: I am very glad it went well and I can’t wait to start preparing Jorge’s new tank. :)

Thank you. :heart: I really do hope he will start to come out of his shell a little more. :D It probably doesn’t help that he’s missing his friend. Once he starts getting better care I’m definitely going to consider bringing home a crab or two for company.

I’ll admit 2 or 3 years ago when my brother wanted hermit crabs, I didn’t understand why. Whenever we saw them at the pet store, they always just seemed to sit around in their shells all day. But I’ve learned so much about them now and have fallen in love with them. They really are cute little creatures and are great company, even if they aren’t the kind of pet to love interacting with their owner outside of the tank. :)

years ago I was stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi at Keesler AFB. A bunch of us went walking on the beach and I picked up some pretty shells. I put them on my dresser in the barracks and didn't give them much more thought. That night, I was sleeping in my bunk when a thud woke me up. My roommates hadn't flown in yet so I was alone. Then I heard a kind of dragging noise, then another thud! I was freaking out!!! The dragging continued...took me nearly an hour to get up the nerve to reach over and turn on the light on the nightstand. There in the middle of the floor were the shells I had picked up with little hermit crabs making their way to the faint light coming in under the door! I about lost it laughing so hard! First thing in the morning I took them back to the beach where I'd found them. That is my only experience with hermit crabs and I will remember those little guys forever! Lol

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I can't wait to see his new tank! :aquarium: I found a "fish" tank smiley :roflmao:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Congrats on Jorge coming into your care! I had hermies once, unfortunately I was a young kid and I had no clue how to care for them. I'm sure you'll do great with him though. Hermies are so cute and sweet :)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
years ago I was stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi at Keesler AFB. A bunch of us went walking on the beach and I picked up some pretty shells. I put them on my dresser in the barracks and didn't give them much more thought. That night, I was sleeping in my bunk when a thud woke me up. My roommates hadn't flown in yet so I was alone. Then I heard a kind of dragging noise, then another thud! I was freaking out!!! The dragging continued...took me nearly an hour to get up the nerve to reach over and turn on the light on the nightstand. There in the middle of the floor were the shells I had picked up with little hermit crabs making their way to the faint light coming in under the door! I about lost it laughing so hard! First thing in the morning I took them back to the beach where I'd found them. That is my only experience with hermit crabs and I will remember those little guys forever! Lol

Oh my goodness, that is too funny! :rofl: I can just imagine you waking up to seeing some hermit crabs crawling across the room looking for escape. :lol: Good that you returned them back to their home, though. That sounds like a funny experience. :)

I can't wait to see his new tank! :aquarium: I found a "fish" tank smiley :roflmao:

I can’t wait to decorate it! I love decorating and making an animal’s setup. :D And what a neat icon! :)

Congrats on Jorge coming into your care! I had hermies once, unfortunately I was a young kid and I had no clue how to care for them. I'm sure you'll do great with him though. Hermies are so cute and sweet :)

Thank you. :heart: I hope he will be a happy crab. Hermit crabs really are unique creatures. :xflove:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I finally got a (not-so-good) picture of Jorge hopefully enjoying his new oak leaves.
286CCE5F-2BB4-4475-A098-5B608588D68F.jpeg
4EE7550D-BF0F-4F6A-A9D0-BAD0BC5F5F78.jpeg
C409A5EE-8872-4496-B559-70FB2FF3EB4B.jpeg
I assume he was munching on them in this photo. Either that, or he thought it was just a good resting place.

Sorry for the not-so-clear pictures.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Aww look at Jorge enjoying his oak leaves!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Aww look at Jorge enjoying his oak leaves!

I’m happy because he seems happy with his oak leaves! :) I never knew we had such a loved food by hermit crabs all over our yard! We have a couple of tall oak trees in our backyard, and so many more in surrounding yards! He immediately warmed up to the small twigs and leaves!

But my mom is being even worse about this than I thought she would. Earlier at the pet store I was wanting to buy a thermometer and hygrometer to pay more attention to temperature and humidity. It was $10, and I was completely fine paying for it myself. Even so, mom told me that it’s my money, but that she thinks I’m wasting it on crap. This “crap” is keeping Jorge alive, and making me happy to know he’s getting better care. Earlier she also said Jorge was “just a crab.” She doesn’t even know that I want to get a larger tank for him yet, and honestly then I think it’s going to be a “No” even if I do want to buy it myself. I just made $120 pet-sitting my grandpa’s dog. They will just never understand how important these animals and their well being are to me. I’m starting to wonder if Jorge really can have a happier life here. :( And now that’s making me think of all the other pets, especially Skittles and Nico, who are mine.

I was really looking into this tank. It looks super spacious for 2 or 3 crabs.
All Living Things® Turtle Tank | reptile Terrariums | PetSmart

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I’m happy because he seems happy with his oak leaves! :) I never knew we had such a loved food by hermit crabs all over our yard! We have a couple of tall oak trees in our backyard, and so many more in surrounding yards! He immediately warmed up to the small twigs and leaves!

But my mom is being even worse about this than I thought she would. Earlier at the pet store I was wanting to buy a thermometer and hygrometer to pay more attention to temperature and humidity. It was $10, and I was completely fine paying for it myself. Even so, mom told me that it’s my money, but that she thinks I’m wasting it on crap. This “crap” is keeping Jorge alive, and making me happy to know he’s getting better care. Earlier she also said Jorge was “just a crab.” She doesn’t even know that I want to get a larger tank for him yet, and honestly then I think it’s going to be a “No” even if I do want to buy it myself. I just made $120 pet-sitting my grandpa’s dog. They will just never understand how important these animals and their well being are to me. I’m starting to wonder if Jorge really can have a happier life here. :( And now that’s making me think of all the other pets, especially Skittles and Nico, who are mine.

I was really looking into this tank. It looks super spacious for 2 or 3 crabs.
All Living Things® Turtle Tank | reptile Terrariums | PetSmart

I hope your mom will let you take care of Jorge the way you want to. :hug8: