• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Got a Secret.....

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
.......and it's been so hard keeping it from you all.
Right.. I stated on the forums that I was never going to adopt another budgie and I'm sticking to that. Other than illnesses and the health effects of abuse (mental and physical) and farm breeding they have brought nothing but sorrow. While I was fostering everything was good. I only ever had two birds die on me whilst in my care, both from genetic disorders.
I explained all this to my vet and he agreed it's not an easy life to persue. But have I ever considered taking on a rehome? Rehomes generally come from good caring homes and in good health. I was interested.
He told me about a young couple. The guy had bought his wife a couple of Lovebirds for valentines' day, as often happens but it proved to be impractical. He was away from home a lot on contracts while she was a nurse working the typical long NHS shifts, so the birds weren't getting the attention they need. The wife also stated that they were too loud - imagine if he'd bought her larger bird(s).
Fast forward to Friday and I took delivery of said lovies, after a donation to a children's hospital on the wife's request. I had them vetted straight away and they've been safely tucked away in my bedroom for the weekend awaiting test results. I've just got the final pathology results and I'm glad to say I can now introduce to you my special little agents, 'J' & 'K' (gratuitous MiB reference).
The initials are temporary and sex isn't confirmed. I'm not a breeder so gender isn't important. But they are bonded and 'K' (the lighter one) has been displaying some male behaviours.
_20190520_162509.JPG _20190520_162430.JPG

K is notably lighter all over, including the tail. I'm wondering if there's some mutation peeking through? Pied? Anyone?
Many thanx to @Zara for keeping quiet.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:congrats5:

Your birds have been making me smile all weekend!

I stick with what I said that K is a green pied. Some have lots of yellow, others just a little.

I love how the wife did not accept your money and instead it was donated to the childrens hospital. Very kind of you both.

You have improved the lives of many small bird while you have been fostering and taking in rescues. And now you can settle down with these two beautiful rehomed birds (and Tau) :)

Thankyou for sharing your secret with me in advance ;)

Welcome to the Avenue J and K! :starshower1::starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:
:party1:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like K is younger than J.
Yes, but not by much. J´s face still hasn´t deepened so they are quite close in age :)
Chances are they were bought from a breeder who pulled two chicks from two different clutches and paired up all the babies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats! Simply adorable!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
That’s so awesome that the wife just wanted a donation to the children’s hospital!:heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How very awesome!

Many congrats to you, Linden..they're absolutely beautiful. :)

Welcome to the Avenue, J and K!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations