• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I got a really cool new friend!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer

So I went to this fish auction yesterday. Yep a fish auction lol. I had never been to one and I wanted to see what it was all about. WOW :omg: It was crazy bags of black guppies...GUPPIES!!!! Were going for $40-$50!!! It was crazy!! So I spend..."sum" money, lol not a lot but I found something really neat. He was the only one there and I about had to fight to the death over him lol. He is an Indian Dwarf Mud Skipper...his name is Magnum. They have to catch a lot of these fish in captivity because they have never been able to captive breed them, I also learned that mud skippers have never been captive bred...as far as the fish society's president knows. So...I think I am going to try. If it will stop people from taking them out of the wild then I will give it a shot, whether it be birds, fish, horses, I don't like that they should be taken out of the wild and caged. If not....I will have a sweet mud skipping friend :) I will need to get him a girl friend sometime soon. I was so excited! lol I'm a dork!

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
he's a cutie!! what do you feed him?
They eat a half dozen small crickets every other day. They come out of the water to eat, and sometimes you can get them to eat in the water but not always.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
:omg: I was just about to ask if that was a Mudskipper when I saw the photo! I thought no it can't be since I've never seen them in captivity but I guess so!

Very cool! Yes, please try and help stop them from being wild caught. :)

How do you care for them? Are they hardy in captivity?

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Actually they are super easy and I guess a little more common that you might think. They are fed crickets, bloodworms, frozen krill, clam and such. They have to have part of the tank to get out of the water or they will drown. They sleep on land! lol I don't know if I could breed them but I would certainly like to try. They can get 10 inches or so if they are of a different species. Mine gets like 4 inches, he is 2 inches now. He is a dwarf :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
do you have to heat the tank or treat the water or anything like that

this is sooo interesting, you will have to keep us posted on his progress!! :)

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Actually they are pretty easy to maintain and they are pretty hardy little critters. They half to have a tank that is around 75 to 80 degrees. Well that is what my bird room is kept at, all the time so if that is the case I don't need a heater. They have to have land, a way to get out of the water in the tank. They eat out of the water and sleep out of the water, they will drown if you don't provide a way to get out. I was very suprized at how easy they are! I wouln't have bid on anything hard, or crazy. I did ask around to the expert before I considered him hehe :)

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
wow, I never herd of an auction for fish. That is really interesting. He is cute:)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
he is so neat! looking forward to watching him grow with you!

:hug8:

Last edited:

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
That is a very cool new friend. :) And so cute too!!! Great for trying to keep them from being wild caught and definitely a good cause. :)

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
What a cool little guy. I've never head of a fish auction either. Would be interesting to go to one I'm sure.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
what a cutie!!! I love his little face :)

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'm so jealous. I found mudskippers once many years ago. They were gone when I went back to buy one. I have never seen one for sale since.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw he is so cute!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I don't think I've ever seen one of those guys as a pet. Neat!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
He is surprisingly cute and I - like many others - will be following your adventures with him :)

Have you thought about starting a blog or anything for Magnum? That way you have an easy place to store info, stories, and pics :)

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I have heard of people with them before and saw pictures on a fish forum i happened across! Somone had a beautiful tank with lots of plants and logs. The skippers are so cute. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.