• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I got a new bird... HELP!

tinera.holiday

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, everyone!
About a week ago I got a male lovebird, who i purchased from a breeder. The bird previously lived in a flock (so of course he isn't tame, but he does let me gently pet him on his lower belly and the back of his head/neck)
And ever since i've gotten him I've had some problems;
1) he wont really eat anything except the millet in his seed mix, ive offered him broccoli, lettuce, apples and a banana, but he wont eat any of it
2) he often goes to the bottom of his cage and sticks his beak out and goes up and down. perhaps he's trying to get out because he's bored... which leads me to the next problem...
3) he wont play with any of his toys! its probably because he doesnt know how, but since he doesnt trust me i cant really incourage him to play with them
Thanks for reading, hope to get a reply soon!:heart:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
As for the eating problem: try taking what you are to feed him and eat it in front of him, with lots gusto. Lots of smacking of your lips, tell him it's nummy. They tend to want a bite, but give him his own piece.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You bird has been used to being in a flock. All of the things you listed can be and most likely the result of no longer being with other birds. I suggest you get another Lovebird.