• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I found a Skink! w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It sounds like you already fed him, so it's going to be extra important that you make sure he's at an appropriate temperature (85* or so with basking up to 95* and high humidity) so he can digest them properly rather than getting sick from eating when he was cold! He's a lucky skink to have wound up outside your place when he was in need. :hug8: I hope you are able to bring him around and back to health.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carole he is beautiful! We had several at the zoo I worked at. Makes me wonder if he was purposely released or came overseas with a plant shipment.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I love lizards. I had some bearded dragons, a water dragon, and an anole growing up. As well as 2 salamanders and a turtle. My brother has had a corn snake, and a ball python as well.
I've always wanted a blue tongued skink.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you all so much.:hug8:
It sounds like you already fed him, so it's going to be extra important that you make sure he's at an appropriate temperature (85* or so with basking up to 95* and high humidity) so he can digest them properly rather than getting sick from eating when he was cold!
Thank you for the info. I read as many caresheets as I could find. There are some differences in them. Some say have a moist and a dry area, some said all moist. I am going with an area of dry, and an area of moist. Kind of like a leo. I had most everything, except a UVA/UVB bulb,a rheostat,and a combo thermometer/hygrometer, so I ordered them online.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: You are very brave Carole!!
LOL.. I have always loved critters, but also respect them. A non-native creature like this should not be running around loose.

Carole he is beautiful! We had several at the zoo I worked at. Makes me wonder if he was purposely released or came overseas with a plant shipment.
He looks too good to have been gone from wherever for too long. Plus, he was pretty limp...so was suffering from lack of heat or water, or something. He is pretty tame for a lizard that was just wild.
I love lizards. I had some bearded dragons, a water dragon, and an anole growing up. As well as 2 salamanders and a turtle. My brother has had a corn snake, and a ball python as well.
I've always wanted a blue tongued skink.
Cool. We used to play with some small newts/salamanders when I was a kid, called Red-F's. You can find them under rocks and wood in PA. I also kept small chameleons & a leopard gecko once. Snakes are not something I ever had, or wanted to.

Does noone find it funny that I found a FIRE skink in a frying pan, in a BBQ grill?:rofl:

Last edited:

HungryBird

He is really beautiful! I like to bright colors a lot. Mine looked similar to this one below:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Blue_Tongued_Skink_001.jpg

But she was lighter in color, supposedly a very rare color. Just so you know, the reason we had her is because her previous owner wanted to sell/breed her and make lots of money but he left crickets in her cage too long and the crickets ate some of her toes. It's pretty gross, but a good thing to watch out for since you might not think tiny crickets could do that.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
He is absolutely stunning. He looks beaded on his sides. I am glad you found him. I hope he continues to improve and thrive.

Ginger

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
That is cool. I probably would have run the other way if I found that in our grill :lol:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone! I might need a cool name.:)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow he is so pretty!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Miriam:hug8:
I have decided to name him~Sizzle!:)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Love it!! I was going to suggest Saladin.

Ginger

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Martine:)
New substrate addition
mix of coco fiber,playsand that was left in the sun,oak leaves,bark,spanish moss

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm with Matt on this one...reptiles creep me out!:) If I would have found him IN MY FRYING PAN! I would have screamed, running in the opposite direction!:omg:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: look at the nice home you've made him already!!! :highfive:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:omg: I am with the I would have ran crowd :) He really is pretty but I would have never touched him!

Status
Not open for further replies.