• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I found a baby sparrow...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, what a great story. Spee sound terrific.

Thanks. He's been a little "off" lately. His legs seemed to be bothering him so I was putting some Avi-vera on them. He drags them and I think that they get irritated. Also trying to trim his nails but can only do a little bit at a time. He gets very stressed.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
happy hatch day spee! Hope ur leg feels better soon. is his cage near he window maybe that will entertain him when u are busy :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
happy hatch day spee! Hope ur leg feels better soon. is his cage near he window maybe that will entertain him when u are busy :)
Cage not positioned near window but I do move it so he is near one for a few hours and can look outside.
He wasn't lifting himself up much or jumping into his bowl but he started doing that again the other day.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
That's amazing what you did for him. Must have been hard with the quarenteen since he was wild too! I didn't know sparrows enjoyed cuddles, that is so sweet!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was quarantined for about 45 days. He does enjoy being petted but only up to a point and then he gets fidgety and wants to leave. Since I've had from about day one and he was hand raised he is very used to being handled.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I love this thread! We often find birds in our garden and yard. We have hedges in the back that house hundreds of sparrows. We absolutely love them! I didn't know they were considered "vermin." They keep my indoor birds and outdoor chickens company. Sit in my garden, eat the bugs, sing in the morning and let us know when it's dinner time. We love it.

Thank you for taking care of the bird! That's a lot of work and I know because we do it all the time!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking care of the birds in your garden!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Spee is so cute :) It's too bad sparrows are considered pests, we have a spruce tree in the back yard that's been there for at least 30 years and probably close to 50 sparrows live in it. When we have the feeders out they line up on the fence and go eat, and they're the only birds I've seen who aren't scared of bullies like bluejays! Every now and then a hawk or falcon will come by looking to make a lunch of them and I'm always like :eek: you stay away from my babies!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are considered invasive species. Since coming to America they have bred and expanded their numbers. They take over other native birds' nests and sometimes kill the babies so people try to scare them away or kill them. :( Of course, I love sparrows. :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

Unfortunately neither of his legs are functional although he can grip with his left foot and he uses that to pull himself up on things or support himself but he can't extend his legs to perch. Because of this he can't step up. I can easily pick him up, though, and hold him and pet him. He likes being petted/scratched.
Wow that's a remarkable story! What a cute little bird! I can't believe you have had him so long!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow that's a remarkable story! What a cute little bird! I can't believe you have had him so long!

The other day he was jumping up and down on his better foot/leg for a little bit which surprised me. Still don't see him getting into his bowl on his own. He will sit next to it and start to complain/cackle and so when I go over to check what is bugging him I see that and give him a "boost". The other day I put some small pieces of cashews in his food dish and he noticed those quickly and pulled himself up to eat them. He LOVES cashews.