• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I found a baby sparrow...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to thank you for all of your kind wishes. Any of us would most probably do the same thing. Take in a helpless baby and do what we can to help the little one.
As for Ciel thank you @peppermint for taking him in and not giving up on him.
Spee arrived about 6 mos after I lost a very very beloved feathered family member and I was not in a good place. Finding him and caring for him helped me get through this.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
such a lovely story. It keeps reminding me of this quote all day and so I may as well share it.
From The Little Prince by Saint-Exupery
“People have forgotten this truth,” the fox said. “But you mustn’t forget it. You become responsible forever for what you’ve tamed."

It's about love and so nice to know you were, and are, there for Spee.

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah

How old are your starlings and what are their names? Where did you find them?
Pip (who is the starling in my picture) just turned 1, and Bugs is a little over 2 months old. Pip fell into one of our walls, so we knocked a hole in it to get her out. :laugh: There was no way to put her back in the nest, and she was at least a week from being a fledgling, so we kept her. Bugs was abandoned by her parents, and got so hungry waiting that she jumped out of the nest. About an hour after we took her in, she was throwing up parts from the nest that she had eaten because she was starving.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pip (who is the starling in my picture) just turned 1, and Bugs is a little over 2 months old. Pip fell into one of our walls, so we knocked a hole in it to get her out. :laugh: There was no way to put her back in the nest, and she was at least a week from being a fledgling, so we kept her. Bugs was abandoned by her parents, and got so hungry waiting that she jumped out of the nest. About an hour after we took her in, she was throwing up parts from the nest that she had eaten because she was starving.

It's good that you were able to get Pip out of the wall. Poor thing. Bugs...abandoned...so sad. The great thing is that you found them and took them in. Pip is cute. How about a photo of Bugs. Do they get along? Do they fly around the house?

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
He doesn't know anything different because this is how he has always been. He knows how to get to where he wants to be and he moves things around in the cage sometimes.
He talks although he doesn't have a large vocabulary.
Fair enough, do you have a video of him? :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fair enough, do you have a video of him? :)
Probably not and I should take one or more. Can't find my video camera anywhere. I've been looking for it and it's nowhere to be found but I can take videos with my digital cameras. However he is fearful of cameras and hides or flies away so probably couldn't get a good video of him. Also I don't have a youtube acct so can't post it here. I did record him talking by sneaking up to his cage with my cell phone but it's hard to hear.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Happy Belated 9th Gotcha day Spee

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Probably not and I should take one or more. Can't find my video camera anywhere. I've been looking for it and it's nowhere to be found but I can take videos with my digital cameras. However he is fearful of cameras and hides or flies away so probably couldn't get a good video of him. Also I don't have a youtube acct so can't post it here. I did record him talking by sneaking up to his cage with my cell phone but it's hard to hear.
Ooh yeah, you could try to set up the camera somewhere and zoom in a little bit. I hope you'll be able to get one, if not to share on here, for yourself :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooh yeah, you could try to set up the camera somewhere and zoom in a little bit. I hope you'll be able to get one, if not to share on here, for yourself :)
Thought about setting video camera up on a tripod if I could find the camera. I know where the tripod is, but it would have to be far back because if he saw it he would probably get scared. I have a Blink which I can put off to the side. I've hardly used it so I should give that a try.

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
It's good that you were able to get Pip out of the wall. Poor thing. Bugs...abandoned...so sad. The great thing is that you found them and took them in. Pip is cute. How about a photo of Bugs. Do they get along? Do they fly around the house?
Bugs likes to chase Pip sometimes, but most of the time it isn't out of aggression. Pip ignores Bugs as much as she can. :) They both get to fly around in their room, as long as someone is watching them. And they each have their own cage to stay in when we are not home, and at night. I will have to get a current pic of Bugs.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They sound very cute! What do you feed them? From what I've learned they eat the same things as sparrows.

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
They have a high protein diet, since they are bug eaters. Sometimes they eat ground up dog food, mixed with chicken baby food ( I know, sounds weird). They also get dried crickets and mealworms every day. I give them fruits and veggies as treats. They really like watermelon and peas.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They have a high protein diet, since they are bug eaters. Sometimes they eat ground up dog food, mixed with chicken baby food ( I know, sounds weird). They also get dried crickets and mealworms every day. I give them fruits and veggies as treats. They really like watermelon and peas.
Not weird, Spee got ground up and moistened cat food when he was being handfed. Weaned onto seed and Mazuri insectivore. No seeds for Starlings??

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Spee and the rest of the flock had small pieces of his bird-day cupcakes today as well as cooked mixed veggies. Spee emptied out his treat/veggie dish. The birds only get a little bit of "junk" food on special occasions. Spee would probably love to eat "junk" food every day of the week.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
He talks although he doesn't have a large vocabulary.
Spee talks?! I didn't know sparrows could talk! Now I am imagining them all talking when we are not looking. :blink:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
:faint:

That is the cutest teeny voice! Thanks for sharing. Adorable!

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Not weird, Spee got ground up and moistened cat food when he was being handfed. Weaned onto seed and Mazuri insectivore. No seeds for Starlings??
Nope, no seeds except for the occasional un shelled sunflower seeds. I see starlings eating seeds from the bird feeders outside, but I think they must swallow them whole, because they don't have the right beaks for breaking seeds apart.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope, no seeds except for the occasional un shelled sunflower seeds. I see starlings eating seeds from the bird feeders outside, but I think they must swallow them whole, because they don't have the right beaks for breaking seeds apart.
I assumed they ate seed. Spee has a similar beak as far as I can tell and he breaks the seeds. On Starling Talk, though, the adult diet for Starlings is similar to what you give. House sparrows are supposedly related to weaver finches who are seed eaters.