• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I found a baby sparrow...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks to be about 1-2 days old, probably 2???

spee baby.jpg

The next day.

spee 2-3 days old.jpg

Poor little bird. Right leg growing upwards and left leg not right. Vet splints right leg. July 18....

spee splint.jpg

spee very very young.jpg

That was 9 years ago. Wishing my beautiful Spee a very happy 9th bird-day/found day. I am so glad I did not listen to the first vet I took him to who recommended euthanizing him. :angry101: :shake:

spee1 7-17.jpg

He is very camera shy so difficult to get a photo.

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Wait, so is the last picture a recent one?!
Happy found day Spee!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You did great with him! ♥♥♥

Happy Bird-day Spee! :bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Happy 9th Bird-day Spee! What amazing pictures and what wonderful luck that @iamwhoiam found you and loved you. You must be quite a little fighter to have survived such a traumatic start in life!

:yah:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wait, so is the last picture a recent one?!
Happy found day Spee!

That last photo was taken today. This one, which is my current avatar, was last year's special bird-day photo:

spee 7-16.jpg

That's the same bowl that I put him in after I found him and set up a brooder for him.
I am lucky to have found him and thank the universe for bringing him to me and thank Spee for coming into my life. He is an amazing little guy who I absolutely adore.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here are photos when he was 2 1/2 months old and before he molted out to his male feathering.

His first home was the bowl placed into a larger container and then he was moved into a terrarium for a few months.

spee terrarium.jpg

spee 2-5.jpg

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And how does his setup looks now? :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And how does his setup looks now? :)
He's in a cage with 1/4" bar spacing. He has a natural wood branched perch on the bottom of the cage as well as a very low perch attached to cage although he can't perch. He will put his good foot on top of the branched perch. He's tried to pull himself up on the low perch but he can't. I've inverted a food dish and covered that with a paper towel and he sometimes lifts himself up on top of that. I've tried platforms but he is afraid of those even though I cover them with paper towels like the inverted food dish. I wanted to get him a larger cage, width greater than height, but I couldn't find anything with small bar spacing. I made some small ramps but he was fearful of those. I keep the cage simple and it's not large because he mainly pulls himself across the bottom of the cage and doesn't fly a lot. He also has his bowl that is padded with paper towels. He can lift himself up into that although sometimes he will cackle and complain because he wants a "boost" but if I leave him be I will find him in the bowl. His food and water dishes are small see through bowls and they are on the bottom of the cage. Had to find something that was easy for him to access.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nine years?! Fabulous, Happy birthday Spee!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a lucky birdie to have landed with you! Spee is adorable!
:bounce7::birthday::bounce7:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Love the story and the pics. Happy gotcha day, Spee!

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
What a precious boy!
How is he with hands/fingers? Does he step up willingly?

That last photo was taken today. This one, which is my current avatar, was last year's special bird-day photo:

View attachment 253419

That's the same bowl that I put him in after I found him and set up a brooder for him.
I am lucky to have found him and thank the universe for bringing him to me and thank Spee for coming into my life. He is an amazing little guy who I absolutely adore.
Here are photos when he was 2 1/2 months old and before he molted out to his male feathering.

His first home was the bowl placed into a larger container and then he was moved into a terrarium for a few months.

View attachment 253423

View attachment 253422

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Thank you for saving this precious bird! :heart: I have two rescued starlings. I know so many people who wouldn't think twice about sparrows or starlings, since they are considered pests. Even the vet in my area (he's not a bird vet), thought I was crazy for saving them, "They are everywhere, they are loud and they spread disease. Why would you want to save one?" :shake: Its a defenseless creature! And every animal deserves a chance. A vet, of all people, should understand that.

Sorry for my rant. And Happy Birthday to your feathered baby!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a precious boy!
How is he with hands/fingers? Does he step up willingly?

Unfortunately neither of his legs are functional although he can grip with his left foot and he uses that to pull himself up on things or support himself but he can't extend his legs to perch. Because of this he can't step up. I can easily pick him up, though, and hold him and pet him. He likes being petted/scratched.

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Oh that's too bad, he seems to have a good life regardless though :) He's lucky you found him for sure

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for saving this precious bird! :heart: I have two rescued starlings. I know so many people who wouldn't think twice about sparrows or starlings, since they are considered pests. Even the vet in my area (he's not a bird vet), thought I was crazy for saving them, "They are everywhere, they are loud and they spread disease. Why would you want to save one?" :shake: Its a defenseless creature! And every animal deserves a chance. A vet, of all people, should understand that.

Sorry for my rant. And Happy Birthday to your feathered baby!

Thank you for taking the starlings into your home. I agree that it is sad that many think starlings and sparrows are pests because they are invasive and non-native.
The first vet I took him to told me Spee had cartilage disease and needed to be euthanized. This is a vet I had being going to for many years. The second vet I took him to did not agree and said he had broken his legs and possible damaged nerves from falling out of the nest (maybe mom & dad pushed him out because something was off). He is smaller than most of the sparrows I see flying around here. The funny thing is I went back to the 1st vet with another bird and she asked how the baby was. I told her my sparrow was doing well and she looked shocked. Turned out she was asking about my Dusky conure. She was very surprised I still had the sparrow.
How old are your starlings and what are their names? Where did you find them?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh that's too bad, he seems to have a good life regardless though :) He's lucky you found him for sure
He doesn't know anything different because this is how he has always been. He knows how to get to where he wants to be and he moves things around in the cage sometimes.
He talks although he doesn't have a large vocabulary.

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
that was so sweet of you.
I'm so happy your baby bird grew to 9 years old, and that he seems healthy despite his poor leg.
i get so emotional reading this sort of stories, especially since i found Ciel and one of the vets told me it would die and did nothing to help him out. i was devastated that day. my partner even more so. [we took a chance and medicated him, and he started feeling better.. and crows are even bigger pests for those in the countryside, and they're not wanted in cities either.] We thought that without medicine he will die anyways, perhaps if we're lucky we manage to give him just the right amount not to kill him.. and we were lucky. [that year i could eat meat for several months after that and we don't even eat that much meat to begin with. i could barely eat anything of animal origin too, like milk, its derivates, and eggs.]

thank you so so much for having such a kind heart. [now excuse me, i need to go to a corner to cry my soul out]