• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures I finally adopted!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I'm coming in late to this conversation but I'm sooooooo happy she found a forever home with you!!! She will be so happy that she has you!! Once you bond she will love you forever.

I purchased my parrotlet Carmen from a pet store which I could tell she was being abused. Seed only, tiny joke cage, and they cut off all her flight and tail feathers down to the quick so some bled. I didn't care what she cost and I bought her on the spot without knowing anything about them. She is super happy now and gives me thank you's via kisses so sweetly it makes me cry. She also does a slow blink when she sees me to let me know she is still happy.

Thank you thank you for taking in this beautiful amazing bird!!! I know you will be so happy!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sometimes bird sellers or breeders will put an open band on a domestic bird that wasn't previously banded.

Shelters / rescues too... In State of NJ, every bird we adopt out has to have a leg band (even if its not attached). We keep a stock of the snap on bands as well as the closed bands and they just get taped to the adoption contract (meets requirements of the State Fish and Wildlife). But, you are right, the open band does not mean wild caught anymore...

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I was dumbfounded it's in the forties and raining. I was already worried about her getting a chill and this woman has her in a tiny rusty dog crate outside on the porch.
And here I was really only looking for a macaw cage for a special needs macaw I'm to adopt. Then I stumble across this ad and just couldn't stop thinking about her. I think she has great potential. But like I said even if she doesn't want to be handled, she'll be fun with her antics.
How is Maria now? Reading this about that poor bird :( definitely a rescue. I stumbled across my Freddy by mistake. A friend I lost touch with has a pet store and we reconnected right around thanksgiving. He had a bird who immediately sparked my interest. I was told he wasn't for sale, as he was traumatized as ababy and doesn't like people. The second time I saw him he started eating out of my hand. Long story short, we have had him 5 weeks, comes out of his cage, plays with us, steps up on a perch for us, and is starting to let us gently touch him as he also gently touches our clothing. Freddy is a 7 year old Galah cockatoo who I think just needed love and the kind of attention all living things need. I thnk has much to do with personality too, as he chose our family. We all went to visit Freddy before we brought him home. Iso hope Maria is doing well!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yes, you can tell she has known sadness. However, Amazons can be very resilient and the parrots that survive lousy situations can be amazingly tough. No doubt she'll blossom with toys, baths, good food, and love. Thanks for saving her.

Names: Marta, Lorita, Maybeline, Chica, Daisy, Clara

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
So glad she has found such a loving home after coming out of what sounds like a horrible situation. Hope you have many happy adventures together and she has a long happy peaceful life