• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I fell in love...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie! Congratulations, I hope everything goes well!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Cute baby! When will he/she be going home with you? How old is the baby?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
How exciting! I can't wait to see 'coming home' day!

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on the new baby.

Also, just an aside, you mentioned in another post that you don't work. Remember how I said in that post that people tend to just fail their cockatoo and rehome them. One of the reason's good owners rehome their cockatoo is a previously non-working person decides to go back to work and they were overcome with guilt about not being able to let the bird out as often or give it as much attention as it needs. Just because you are stay at home now, does not mean your lifestyle will always be the same. Remember if you get a cockatoo, have a basic routine in place where you teach the bird to be independent. He should be okay with spending several hours a day alone in his cage. Don't turn him into a codependent baby. It won't be good for either of you in the end.

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Congrats on the new baby.

Also, just an aside, you mentioned in another post that you don't work. Remember how I said in that post that people tend to just fail their cockatoo and rehome them. One of the reason's good owners rehome their cockatoo is a previously non-working person decides to go back to work and they were overcome with guilt about not being able to let the bird out as often or give it as much attention as it needs. Just because you are stay at home now, does not mean your lifestyle will always be the same. Remember if you get a cockatoo, have a basic routine in place where you teach the bird to be independent. He should be okay with spending several hours a day alone in his cage. Don't turn him into a codependent baby. It won't be good for either of you in the end.
Yes, I have read a lot about how important that is and I completely agree. Do you have any advice on doing this? I plan to at first having the bird out for shorter periods then teaching it to play with toys in the cage for a while between our interactions. I want them to be well adjusted.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure his cage is stocked with toys and just leave him in there to play alone for 8-10 hours each day. You can have several hanging toys and then toss in several food toys or foraging toys every morning. I like to put small treats and pieces of wood into crumpled paper cups so they have to rip apart the cup to get the treat. Good destructible toys that you can continually remake every day or every few days are good. You'll find a routine that works for you. I'm a teacher. During the school year they are caged for the school day. They get some type of fresh food right after I get home from work which they eat in their cages while I do other things. Then later at night, I let them out to play and interact. Just because I'm home doesn't mean they get played with. Sometimes they just get a scratch on my way by the cage. During the summer, they only get slightly more out of cage time than during the school year. I tend to sleep late. I don't usually give out veggies first thing in the morning so they don't start screaming for them when I want to sleep. They still get their attention, but later in the day because during the summer, I have cleaning projects, yard work, dog training etc to do and I'm just generally in and out and busy. My birds are usually pretty quiet unless I sleep so late that they have good reason to demand I get up and feed them their veggies and sprouts.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
cool...they call them corellas in aussie...Mom has a flock of them close by...they are loud when hundreds of them fly over the house...Good Luck w your baby...

Last edited:

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
The Inconvenient Truth About …Cockatoos – Pamela Clark, CPBC
This writing is excellent and please refer to it often as time goes by.

Good reading. Do you have allergies or asthma?
Yes I read this the other day when I saw it on the forum. I do have allergies but did not test positive to pet dander. Can’t remember if they tested for birds/feathers or not. Mine are not bad enough to warrant meds. I am mainly allergic to various metals and chemicals, and also some ingredients in scented products and propolis, which is something bees use in their hives. But I think I may now be allergic to my guinea pigs’ hay. Regardless, they have a home with me for life, whether I develop allergies or not.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How old will the baby be when you bring it home? Will it be completely weaned?
Will you have access to the breeder if the baby regresses.
Hearing a baby Too cry insistently, can be heart rending, and drive you crazy at the same time.
You'll need to know what to expect and how to handle it.
Many breeders will wean too early causing emotional long term complications.

Congrats!

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
My umbrella would be happy to scream his head off for you. And possibly bite you. That way you can see if you still want one hahaha.

Seriously though. They’re difficult animals. On a completely different level than a Quaker. Umbrellas have personalities, and not all the traits of it are easy to live with. Read the many threads on here where we have all talked about the challenges, and joys, there is joys obviously; about owning an umbrella or Moluccan cockatoo. They’re full throttle parrots. And there’s a reason the large cockatoos are the most given up bread of parrot.

Baby umbrella cockatoos and known to be these cuddly little teddy bears. They suck people in about “how nice they can be”. Then when sexual maturity hits, that snuggly baby is not as snuggly anymore, it screams as loud as a rock concert (seriously, 100dB screams). They can become very clingy if you’re not careful, and if they become that way, they will scream all day if they’re not on you. So you have to be careful with how you interact with them to avoid this.

They can become very attached to own person and attack people who are not their chosen one. And you can’t control who they become attached to. If you have other people in the house it could become attached to one of them and hate you. You can do things to make them tolerate you, but if it happens, you’ll never be the same as the favorite.

They’re fickle creatures. Loud creatures, bi-polar, did I say loud?

They also live a LONG time. I made a joke a few months back saying “There will never be another day in my life I go without hearing a cockatoo scream”. And that’s completely true haha.

If you’re willing to deal with ALL of this, everyday for the rest of your life. They can give you a connection with a pet you’ve never had before. You have to work for that special relationship though.

Edit: I see you got him. Congrats. Just give it love and be VERY understanding. Also remember, cockatoos are very routine oriented. They need 12 hours of sleep each night with a structured bed time. Mine knows when it’s his 7:30 bed time and jumps right in when I take him down there.

Last edited:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Congrats! your new feathered friend is gorgeous! I have a male Umbrella..he can be extremely aggressive when its spring time..if ya know what I mean:rolleyes:...toos ARE a fickle bunch...be ready to waist ALOT of food....try giving him little bits at a time to see what he favors...they are super picky eaters...good luck!:)