• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel like crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshD

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joshua
Ok, so I just got back from the swapmeet and I saw a guy selling animals.I then saw a horrible sight.I saw an indian ringneck parakeet for sale.The poor FID was yellow and living in a cage that was really meant for a finch.He did have a breeders' band around his talon, but at the bottom of the tiny cage, the liner was a sales flyer that obviously had toxic ink.There was not a grate at the bottom and the bird had a tiny amount of food and water.Next to the bird was an ash tray that still had a ciggarette burning. Then there was a cage of parakeets in an overcrowded cage. In one corner of the parakeet cage, there was one parakeet that seemed to be sivk.The vendor wasn't anywhere to be found.I can only hope that someone who truely cares will buy the poor bird.I might be able to buy him, given I have the space for a larger, more grander cage.​

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
:( Thats why I would stay away from things like that. I cant even stand to go to pet stores anymore..:(

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh them poor birds, 'specially the IRN. :(

This is why I give my birds the biggest cages possible, just to show that at least some people have enough brains to know that birds don't belong in tiny cages.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
that is pathetic, Animals shouldn't be sold at those types of places

as for the paper - I'm assuming your talking about an Advertisement, Like a walmart ad? - those are made with the same soy based inks as the newspaper is - and aren't toxic They can be used if let sit out Say on a shelf for a good bit

I only use them when I have to mainly because well they're slippery and don't stay in the tray well at all, and I will only use them if there is a grate, I tried w/out a grate and the birds slid on the bottom of the cage when they were trying to walk, So i switched it out for a normal piece of news paper

but I do use them to line my brooders(fish tanks) but they go clear on the bottom and i layer probably 8-10 pieces of newspaper than 3-5 pieces of paper towel

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Buying a bird from that guy will only encourage/enable him to continue doing the same thing and possibly even expand so that is not the answer. Stay away from those places altogether for your own good.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how incredibly sad

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yes. please be careful. If you bring one of his birds home, you might be bringing a lot of pathogens with him that you don't need your birds exposed to. I hate that people treat animals that way.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Where in El Paso was this? I was just in El Paso recently...poor birds :(

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
To buy this bird would provide incentive for the 'breeder/vendor' to continue. If no one is willing to buy his birds....eventually there's no market for them & he will stop. (at least, that's the way it should happen)
Your heart is in the right place, but why give the guy more motivation to attend more fairs, selling birds?

JoshD

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joshua
Where in El Paso was this? I was just in El Paso recently...poor birds :(
You were in El Paso,TX?Well the place is called Bronco swapmeet and is located on Alameda(I think) in the lower vallaey near the franklin Canal.You go on the border highway to get there.:)

Last edited:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I feel soo sorry for those poor birds.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.