• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I feel like an idiot.

DonnaC

Moving in
I have had my first bird for about 4 years. She is a rescued African Grey and I love her. Recently we adopted a Moluccan Cockatoo and I am having the hardest time! I’m such an idiot- I assumed he was going to be like my AG behavior and training-wise —- well now I see that is not true. The rescue I got him from assured me he was the easiest most well behaved cockatoo they have ever seen and of coarse he acted like he loved me more than anyone in the room!
Anyway I have questions.Is it ok to let them have floor time? The rescue said “of coarse it is! What’s wrong with floor time?” Then, the owner of the bird store I go to said that floor time should not be happening.
It seems like everyone I have talked to has very different opinions.
please help!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:greet13:hi
What are the things you want help with ?

On floor, in the wild this species does spend time on the ground foraging. As do quakers in the wild . But in my home the floor isn't ok, because I have dogs. So I think it's up to you and your lifestyle if you want to allow or not .

But we have many great awesome members with 2's!! So let's see where they fall on the to floor or not to floor

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I personally think floor time depends on the bird itself. All of mine have floor time in the bird room, where I can keep the dogs out, but if any of mine were aggressive while on the floor, then I would do what I could to keep them up. My cockatoo though avoids the floor as much as she can, she would much rather climb from piece of furniture to piece of furniture rather than actually have to walk on the floor at all.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, completely different birds and personalities. I would work with starting training with your cockatoo right away. They are super smart and can be super stubborn. Www.goodbirdinc.com is a good resource on behavior, training etc. And thank you for adopting him. There are so many cockatoos in need of good homes.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As long as it’s safe ( cleaners, dogs or cats, outlets, etc.) and supervised, I don’t see why not. Put a blanket down toss some toys and snacks on it and go to town. If your Moluccan goes under furniture or into other dark, enclosed spaces, he will likely get hormonal; you don’t want that.