• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know what to say...

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
Some of you may remember the cat that tried to move in on us from next door. She was killed by a car a few months ago. We were very heartbroken, especially as we had been discussing between ourselves offering to buy her from them in the week leading up to her death.

This weekend they got a new kitten, I think it is 6-8 weeks old. It went to the toilet on their carpet apparently so they decided it should live on their front door step and kicked it out of the house! It is tiny! it tried to move in on the people across the road who returned it and were told they could have it and the owners refuse to take it back into their house... Don't care what happens to it etc. The nice people can't have another cat. Long story short, we saw it on the road, talked to everyone involved and are now fostering a kitten, to the absolute disgust of our dear ringnecks!

Kitten is a boy, very affectionate but shy and can be nervous. We call him Moustachio. We have only had him a few days but he has used the litter tray with 100% accuracy! We can't keep him for more than a few weeks. We have been asking around to see if anyone RESPONSIBLE we know may want him, hopefully someone will. We have also reported those guys.

But, if no one we know wants him, should we try to rehome him privately? Or send him to a shelter? What is likely to have the best outcome for him? Because he is not super confident, and so young, we have some reservations about sending him to a shelter. The local options aren't home based for kittens, so we are worried he will not thrive there while waiting for his forever home. He has settled into our house quickly.

We are kind of considering trying to scrape together the money to get him vaccinated and microchipped and then rehome him privately.

Any advice? Has anyone rehomed a kitten themselves?

He is dead cute:
20160502_193956.jpeg 20160503_130238.jpg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's very cute! Sad they put out such a young kitten or even a cat then try to sell him & let him get killed!
Thank you for taking care of him as he would have starved or been run over if no one took him in.

I hope you can find him a great home. He looks like he could have longer hair.

You could investigate a few shelters if they are no kill & would vet him & possibly neuter him for free.

It's going to cost at least $100 for a vet exam & shots & he may need a fecal for worm testing too.
Add $50 for microchip.

Hope you can figure out the best way to get him a good home.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Awww, what a cutie pie! And Mustachio is such a great name! Thank you for taking him in!

I'm sorry I don't have much in the way of advice but I just wanted to say thank you for stepping in and helping the little guy. People who treat pets as disposable objects boggle my mind.

I did want to say thay since he's so young, he has a better chance of coming out of his shyness and, also, it's totally up to you but I would think at the shelter kittens have a better chance of getting adopted than older cats. But if you are able to privately find him a home that would be great too.

Best of luck finding him a great home. He's so cute I bet someone will come along.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
People are unbelievable. I can't believe someone would throw a kitten out. :sad1: It's so good of you to help this little kitten. I found myself the keeper of 4 stray cats last summer. I'll spare you all my trials and tribulations to finding them homes but here are a couple ideas from my experience. Do the rescues have people who will foster the kitten? Here at least, kittens below a certain age go to a foster home until they get big enough to stay at the shelter. Also, are you on facebook? Posting pics and the story on facebook and asking friends to share can reach a lot of people. Your kitten really is very cute. :)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There is a shelter here that is a no kill shelter and they have a lot of kitties, with volunteers taking cats in to foster till they get adopted. Also, try your vet, they may know of someone, a shelter, a rescue or a pet pantry. Be a detective for this kitty. And by the way, he is adorable. Good luck.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwww, thank you for helping him.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
put him on craigslist with an adoption fee of 50$ and screen the crap out of people. He is very very cute.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Thanks for the replies..
@greys4u Qld, Australia.

I am taking him to the shelter. Open plan house, parrots + kitten is a disaster waiting to happen. Sapphire will attack him if she gets the opportunity and both of them could be injured by that!
We have asked around our friends and had him shared around fb. I guess that's the best we can do for him.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry, but you have to watch your flock too.
Least you got him off the street & point him in the right direction.

He is so cute so I hope he will get a home soon. We have Craiglist for local buying/selling.

I don't know what papers or shelter are in Queensland but I wish someone in Australia would adopt me.:rofl:
I love it there...:heart:

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Thank you so much for taking him in. He's such a cutie. :xflove: Looks just like my Fae when she was just a baby, except he has longer hair.
Can never understand people who could let such as small kitten outside. :(
I don't even let my cats outside, and they're 2 years old.

For sure try to look for any no-kill shelters near you. Ask around, and get the word out to anyone looking to add a cat to their life.

Craigslist is good just make sure you ask plenty of questions, and place a decent fee ($50+) to keep away bad people. It would also help find him a good home if you had him vetted before hand.

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Thank you for taking him in. My neighbors (the pet theives) also do what your neighbors do. They buy a kitten, get bored of it, and then kick it out of the house. It's good they let you take the kitten. My neighbors wouldn't. Luckily the kids moved out and the father doesn't care for animals.

I had 14 cats and kittens at one point from rescuing them. I still have three which I kept for myself. The kittens went to a no kill animal shelter as they had worms. I fixed all the others with the help of a neighbor and then we put them on Craigslist to find new homes.

Definitely screen the potential adopters! I waived the fee for some of my adopters as I knew the cats were going to good homes.

I wouldn't take little Mustachio to a shelter unless it's a no kill shelter. Many kittens don't thrive well and get euthanized at high kill shelters.

Are there any rescues or sanctuaries near you? Maybe they could be willing to take in the little fellow.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Hi. I did take him to a shelter/refuge that will not put him down. They said he will have no trouble finding a home as he is adorable.

I inspected the place first and they can provide for him better than I can! They have a big kitten run with furniture, toys, cat trees and no parrots (one of which seemed to be plotting his demise).

My parrots are very happy with this outcome. The only thing that would make them happier is if next door never, ever get another cat!