• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I don't know what to do.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Hello i have 2 little parakeets and i'm not sure what to do. There is one darker green bird named Pablo and a light green one named Carols. Carols has feathers missing from right above his beak. They live in my sister's room and she says they fight sometimes. We have had Pablo ever sense he was a baby and Carols is fairly new. (maybe a year we have had him?) When ever we try to interact with Carols he gets scared. He stars panting and you can see his body moving. I'm quite worried about him. What should we do? I don't want him feel like that. :(

Attachments

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
They have a small cage and we plan to get them a much larger one this summer.

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
It seems that Carol, which I'm assuming is in the first picture, is molting above its beak. Although if they do fight often I recommend to put them into separate cages to reduce risks of injury.

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
Sorry for posting in the wrong place!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Birds can really hurt eachother. Seperate them in to their own cages.

birdfamiliar

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sara
Seconding the molting. Those feathers are called pin feathers and they're very delicate. Is it Carols or Carlos? If they're fighting, they should be in separate cages and allowed to interact together outside the cage (that way, they have their own territories).

newbirdmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace Perry-Samaniego
I don't know how it's spelled lol but yea im going to see what i can do about the separate cage thing.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Looks like molting to me too

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Did you see her pull out the feathers over his beak? I see a bunch of pinfeathers coming in, which of course would happen if she pulled them, but they can look like that after a normal molt as well.

Also, a little squabbling is normal. Female budgies are naturally a little bossy and it sounds like Pablo is a little unsure about a bossy new cagemate and doesn't have room to get away when he wants to. I would try separating them if you can until you get the new cage. Keep them near each other, though, so they can hopefully become friends. Let them interact a little outside their cages as well, if possible.
Budgies are so naturally social that they will probably get along once they have more room and a little more time to become friends. When you get the new bigger cage, move Pablo in first since he's shyer, and give him a little chance to settle in before moving Carols in. Also, provide at least 2 food dishes at opposite ends of the cage, so one bird can't chase the other from food.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
It looks like a normal molt, nothing to be worried about. Molting can make budgies a little cranky, since the new pin feathers are not comfortable. Make sure you are giving him some high protein foods like egg food, and you can also offer a shallow dish of water for him to bathe in.

Good idea on getting a larger cage. That may be all it takes for them to stop bickering, if not, then keep the smaller cage and you can house one of them in it to keep them separated.